How to upgrade from 1.3.9 to 1.6.0?

=James Birkholz=
OK, can't put it off much longer....

I would like to install the new version in a different directory, to test
before committing.
I'm using a third party host, do not have root access.

I have a fresh intall of 1.6.0 running in the testing directory.
I've created a separate MySQL db for this install.
I've exported all of the files from the 1.3.9's MySQL db to my local HD.
Is there any way I can import that data into the 1.6.0 controlled db? Is
there an upgrade script that will handle this?

James Birkholz
administrator (Betreuer der), Posen-EN mailing list & website
http://www.Posen-L.com & http://www.birchy.com/GenWiki

Re: How to upgrade from 1.3.9 to 1.6.0?

=James Birkholz=
I decided to try a different approach, and it seems to be working mostly.
I created a new db and imported the data from my export backup.
I dl'd and uploaded the v1.6.6 into a second testing directory and
installed, using the latest db.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seems to have self installed and
modified the db correctly, even from the 1.3.9 structures.
The images wouldn't display of course, so now I'm copying the images
directory from the old working installation to the latest test installation
directory. I don't think it's going to work, I can't display the
"Image:foo.jpg" in the new install, even though the file is transferred.
Do I need to redo the entire process, or revert the LocalSetting.php file
and reinstall, or is there a utility that I can run? Is the image storage
scheme different?

At 11:18 PM 5/31/2006 -0500, =James Birkholz= wrote:
>directory. I don't think it's going to work, I can't display the
>"Image:foo.jpg" in the new install, even though the file is transferred.

Looks like I just don't know how the ftp client doesn't work. I can't get
it to copy the images correctly. It does all the subdirectories but they
are all empty. If I dl to hd, then ul to the same directory, it works fine,
and the images show up in the new install correctly.

?#$%????

Well I guess I'll get a complete local image backup, but it will take all
night and a lot of bandwidth....

Re: How to upgrade from 1.3.9 to 1.6.0?

Michael Fearn (gmail)
On 01/06/06, =James Birkholz= <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like I just don't know how the ftp client doesn't work. I can't get
> it to copy the images correctly. It does all the subdirectories but they
> are all empty. If I dl to hd, then ul to the same directory, it works
> fine,
> and the images show up in the new install correctly.

I've found filezilla to be good for moving files on a remote site. Providing
you take care not to duplicate filnames in a directory.

--
Michael Fearn

At 07:52 AM 6/1/2006 +0100, Michael Fearn (gmail) wrote:
>I've found filezilla to be good for moving files on a remote site. Providing
>you take care not to duplicate filnames in a directory.

It also helps if your host's disk space limits don't get in the way. I
wasn't at my limit, but close.
Emptying empty trash and waiting half an hour and persistant helped
somewhat. Anyway, the host doubled my space allowance and I eventually got
all the images downloaded and then uploaded to the new directory.

Now to get rid of the "  <site notice>  "
off to the archives...

=James Birkholz=
Ok, I give up. How do you search the mailing list archives?

And how do I edit/hide the SiteNotice in v1.6?

James

Re: Search archives & SiteNotice

Rotem Liss
=James Birkholz= wrote:

> Ok, I give up. How do you search the mailing list archives?

There is no way other than Google.
> And how do I edit/hide the SiteNotice in v1.6?

Edit "MediaWiki:Sitenotice", or $wgSitenotice.

Rotem Liss wrote:

> =James Birkholz= wrote:
>
>> Ok, I give up. How do you search the mailing list archives?
>>
> There is no way other than Google.
Or Yahoo, etc.

At 10:25 AM 6/2/2006 +0300, you wrote:
>=James Birkholz= wrote:
>
>>Ok, I give up. How do you search the mailing list archives?
>>
>There is no way other than Google.

That's right, I knew that (a year ago).

>>And how do I edit/hide the SiteNotice in v1.6?
>>
>Edit "MediaWiki:Sitenotice", or $wgSitenotice.

Thanks, would sure be nice if that appeared in the "Special Pages" list.
Is there a list somewhere of the other useful pages that aren't "Special:"?

Re: Search archives & SiteNotice

Todd Pederzani
On 6/2/06, =James Birkholz= <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, would sure be nice if that appeared in the "Special Pages" list.
> Is there a list somewhere of the other useful pages that aren't
> "Special:"?

For a list of pages in the MediaWiki name space, go to Special:Allpages and
use the drop-down box.  There's a rather large list of them.

--
Todd Pederzani

Todd Pederzani wrote:

> On 6/2/06, =James Birkholz= <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, would sure be nice if that appeared in the "Special Pages" list.
>> Is there a list somewhere of the other useful pages that aren't
>> "Special:"?
>>

> For a list of pages in the MediaWiki name space, go to Special:Allpages and
> use the drop-down box.  There's a rather large list of them.

Alternatively, use Special:Allmessages.

--
#define Name RotemLiss
#define Mail mailSTRUDELrotemlissDOTcom