Human eye

Erik Moeller-4
A very nice recent example of what our top notch artists can do with Inkscape:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Eye-diagram.svg

How do we reach out to more people with skills like this?
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Re: Human eye

Subsume
nice!

> A very nice recent example of what our top notch artists can do with Inkscape:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Eye-diagram.svg
>
> How do we reach out to more people with skills like this?
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.
>
> "An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
> free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic

Re: Human eye

Artur Fijałkowski
2007/3/8, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
> A very nice recent example of what our top notch artists can do with Inkscape:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Eye-diagram.svg
>
> How do we reach out to more people with skills like this?

We have many of them, maybe you haven't spotted?

AJF/WarX

Re: Human eye

Andrew Gray
On 08/03/07, Artur Fijałkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2007/3/8, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
> > A very nice recent example of what our top notch artists can do with Inkscape:
> >
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Eye-diagram.svg
> >
> > How do we reach out to more people with skills like this?
>
> We have many of them, maybe you haven't spotted?

We have many. We want thousands :-)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Human eye

The Cunctator
On 3/8/07, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/03/07, Artur Fijałkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2007/3/8, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
> > > A very nice recent example of what our top notch artists can do with
> Inkscape:
> > >
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Eye-diagram.svg
> > >
> > > How do we reach out to more people with skills like this?
> >
> > We have many of them, maybe you haven't spotted?
>
> We have many. We want thousands :-)

Automatically make a lot more people admins.

Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.

Assume Good Faith from contributors.

Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

Re: Human eye

Andre Engels
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve all
problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!

2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:

> Automatically make a lot more people admins.
>
> Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.
>
> Assume Good Faith from contributors.
>
> Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

The Cunctator
Huh? What was that about?

On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve all
> problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!
>
> 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
>

> > Automatically make a lot more people admins.
> >
> > Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.
> >
> > Assume Good Faith from contributors.
> >
> > Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

> Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Subsume
I am pretty sure he was playing the logical role of a "if these are
WP's worst problems we're doing great" deletionist.

-S

On 3/8/07, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Huh? What was that about?
>
> On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve all
> > problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!
> >
> > 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > > Automatically make a lot more people admins.
> > >
> > > Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.
> > >
> > > Assume Good Faith from contributors.
> > >
> > > Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

> > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Andre Engels
I think I was quite clear. If you want to change policy, then start a thread
about that, but don't post them on a thread about a fully unrelated problem
and pretend that everything suddenly is fine if we just do what you want.

2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:

> Huh? What was that about?
>
> On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve all
> > problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!
> >
> > 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > > Automatically make a lot more people admins.
> > >
> > > Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.
> > >
> > > Assume Good Faith from contributors.
> > >
> > > Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

> > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Subsume
But Andre, its way more effective to hi-jack *all* threads and steer
them towards a lot of talk about deletionist/admin reform ....and then
propose nothing actionable. =)

Not dismissing you, Cunctator. I agree on all counts. Its just
something I notice on this list.

Andre. That was far from clear, buddy. Thanks for clarifying.

-S

On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I was quite clear. If you want to change policy, then start a thread
> about that, but don't post them on a thread about a fully unrelated problem
> and pretend that everything suddenly is fine if we just do what you want.
>
> 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Huh? What was that about?
> >
> > On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve all
> > > problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!

> > > --
> > > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

> Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Andre Engels
2007/3/8, Steve <[hidden email]>:

> But Andre, its way more effective to hi-jack *all* threads and steer
> them towards a lot of talk about deletionist/admin reform ....and then
> propose nothing actionable. =)
>
> Not dismissing you, Cunctator. I agree on all counts. Its just
> something I notice on this list.
>
> Andre. That was far from clear, buddy. Thanks for clarifying.

My apologies too - my wording in the original message was unnecessarily
confronting. I wish I could stop reacting that way, would be better for my
furniture too.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

The Cunctator
On 3/8/07, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But Andre, its way more effective to hi-jack *all* threads and steer
> them towards a lot of talk about deletionist/admin reform ....and then
> propose nothing actionable. =)

I know you're not talking about me, because all of my suggestions are
actionable. My point was that if we want to encourage good contributors we
need to encourage good contributors. Right now we're doing a lot of things
that discourage contributors.

Not dismissing you, Cunctator. I agree on all counts. Its just

> something I notice on this list.
>
> Andre. That was far from clear, buddy. Thanks for clarifying.
>
> -S
>
> On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think I was quite clear. If you want to change policy, then start a
> thread
> > about that, but don't post them on a thread about a fully unrelated
> problem
> > and pretend that everything suddenly is fine if we just do what you
> want.
> >
> > 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Huh? What was that about?

> all

> > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

The Cunctator
It's not fully unrelated. Erik asked "How do we reach out to more people
with skills like this?" I was making the point that to reach out to good
contributors we need to create an atmosphere that encourages, rather than
discourages good contributors.

On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I was quite clear. If you want to change policy, then start a
> thread
> about that, but don't post them on a thread about a fully unrelated
> problem
> and pretend that everything suddenly is fine if we just do what you want.
>
> 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Huh? What was that about?
> >
> > On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! As if answering to your pet peeves would solve
> all
> > > problems in the fucking Wikipedia!!!

> > > --
> > > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

> Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Subsume
Yes, funny how Jimmy's earlier sentiment about users, that they should
be given control to a degree that is scary, became a pretty skin-deep
approach. Sure, anonymous people can edit most articles, but beyond
that, try to create a category, template, or any other "second order"
Wikipedia function and you will feel pain!!

-S

On 3/8/07, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not fully unrelated. Erik asked "How do we reach out to more people
> with skills like this?" I was making the point that to reach out to good
> contributors we need to create an atmosphere that encourages, rather than
> discourages good contributors.
>
> On 3/8/07, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think I was quite clear. If you want to change policy, then start a
> > thread
> > about that, but don't post them on a thread about a fully unrelated
> > problem
> > and pretend that everything suddenly is fine if we just do what you want.
> >
> > 2007/3/8, The Cunctator <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Huh? What was that about?

> > all

> > Andre Engels, [hidden email]
> > ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Human eye

Ray Saintonge
Andre Engels wrote:

>2007/3/8, Steve <[hidden email]>:
>

>>But Andre, its way more effective to hi-jack *all* threads and steer
>>them towards a lot of talk about deletionist/admin reform ....and then
>>propose nothing actionable. =)
>>
>>Not dismissing you, Cunctator. I agree on all counts. Its just
>>something I notice on this list.
>>
>>Andre. That was far from clear, buddy. Thanks for clarifying.
>>

>My apologies too - my wording in the original message was unnecessarily
>confronting. I wish I could stop reacting that way, would be better for my
>furniture too.

Thanks.  I was taken aback by the harshness of your original response to
Cunc, and had to conclude that you were being ironic in support.

Ec

Re: Human eye

Ray Saintonge
The Cunctator wrote:

>On 3/8/07, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Inkscape:

>>>We have many of them, maybe you haven't spotted?
>>>

>>We have many. We want thousands :-)
>>

>Automatically make a lot more people admins.
>
>Stop deleting so many things under the "notability" excuse.
>
>Assume Good Faith from contributors.
>
>Don't ban newbies under the SPA excuse.

Wow!  With that kind of agenda you might develop a reputation as a
radical that ploughs up the roots of our social fabric. ;-)    Just
because farmers do that annually in their fields ...

Ec