Human-readable section IDs

Max Semenik
Hey, the way non-Latin characters are displayed in section has always been
a serious complaint from our communities:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152540

Community tech has done some work in this area and it's ready to get more
eyeballs:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/362326/

A few words about implementation plan:
* There is now a concept of primary vs. fallback IDs. Primary are used for
linking, fallbacks are used so that old links still work.
* To transition to the new system, a wiki should first continue serving
legacy-encoded sections with new encoding as a fallback, then switch the
two after all older parser/HTTP caches have been filled with new HTML.
Legacy encoding should remain enabled as long as there is a noticeable
traffic using it, on WMF sites that probably means years.
* By default, MediaWiki will still behave exactly like before. Changing the
defaults to something more modern will be discussed later, after all the
initial issues are resolved.
* Because it's being used without escaping in so many places outside of
core and because there is now a fine distinction between ID escaping for
different purposes, Sanitizer::escapeId() is deprecated. It will never
output new encoding and should be replaced with one of escapeIdForHtml(),
escapeIdForLink() or escapeIdForExternalInterwiki() AFTER making sure it's
getting properly escaped.

Your help reviewing/testing/discussing this is highly appreciated!

--
Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Human-readable section IDs

Amir E. Aharoni
Wonderful news. Nice to see the follow up from the Dev Summit discussion
about it, and to see an old and important problem being addressed
thoroughly, and with consideration for backwards compatibility.

Thank you!

בתאריך 8 ביולי 2017 03:31,‏ "Max Semenik" <[hidden email]> כתב: