I'd like to add these features

Bryan Shepherd
I'd like to add two features to my wiki.  First, I'd like to have content
with a certain heading or on a certain page randomly displayed in a box on
the front page.  I've tried to figure out how Wikipedia does this, but I am
still learning the wikimedia software so I haven't gotten it.  Second I'd
like to add an "Invite" link so that users can invite others to the site via
email, but I'm not exactly sure where to start.  As yo umay have guessed,
I'm not a professional programmer, just a hobbyist : )

Any help with either of these issues would be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: I'd like to add these features

Rob Church
1. Wikipedia has a user called Raul654 responsible for the main page
content. He sets up a series of subpages containing summaries of the
featured articles, decided in advance. He then uses a transclusion
containing variables such as the current date, which does most of the
work.

2. I'd recommend creating a custom special page to do that. See
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Writing_a_new_special_page for
information and advice.

Rob Church