I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Sumana Harihareswara-2
I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
last day will be 30 September.

I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0

I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons
wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain
[[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the
person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have
questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.

best,
Sumana Harihareswara
​was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager,
now Senior Technical Writer

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Bináris
Thank you for the work by this time, and good luck!

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Derric Atzrott
You will be serverly missed.

You've always been one of my favourite people at the Foundation.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

David Cuenca Tudela
After reading your blog post, I must agree with this:
"And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life (yes,
there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement)."

I wish that in your new environment you find a better environment to grow
professionally with less attrition.Perhaps here someday we'll realize that
the problem was not the software, not the money, not the organization, and
not the lack of contributors, but the failure to understand in our
community that humanity, wisdom and virtue have to be above everything else.

All the best in you new job,
Micru

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.
>
> I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
> http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0
>
> I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons
> wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain
> [[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the
> person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have
> questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.
>
> best,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> ​was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager,
> now Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Danny Joe Bauch
It was a pleasure to meet you and to work with you at the NOLA Hackathon.
Best of luck.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.
>
> I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
> http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0
>
> I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons
> wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain
> [[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the
> person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have
> questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.
>
> best,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> ​was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager,
> now Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey Sumana,

Thanks for writing that up and the bits of helpful advice you gave me over
the years.

And like Micru, I have to agree with this part:

And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life (yes,
> there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement).

This is such a tragic waste on many levels. It's very hard to make real
progress towards an organizations goals and have fun in doing so, if the
environment contains to much of this. Even if every single person involved
is putting effort towards those goals. You are definitely not the first
person to leave the WMF (in part) because of this.

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw - http://www.bn2vs.com
Software craftsmanship advocate

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Tyler Romeo
:'( Going to miss you Sumana! (Hopefully we can meet up in the city one
day.)

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey Sumana,
>
> Thanks for writing that up and the bits of helpful advice you gave me over
> the years.
>
> And like Micru, I have to agree with this part:
>
> And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life (yes,
> > there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement).
> >

> This is such a tragic waste on many levels. It's very hard to make real
> progress towards an organizations goals and have fun in doing so, if the
> environment contains to much of this. Even if every single person involved
> is putting effort towards those goals. You are definitely not the first
> person to leave the WMF (in part) because of this.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw - http://www.bn2vs.com
> Software craftsmanship advocate
> Evil software architect at Wikimedia Germany
> ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Derk-Jan Hartman

On 12 sep. 2014, at 20:08, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Sumana,
>
> Thanks for writing that up and the bits of helpful advice you gave me over
> the years.

Same here Sumana. You are the one who convinced me to come to my first MediaWiki Hackathon. You've inspired me to learn things that I now use every day and I'm truly grateful for that.

> And like Micru, I have to agree with this part:
>
>> And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life (yes,
>> there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement).
>>

> This is such a tragic waste on many levels. It's very hard to make real
> progress towards an organizations goals and have fun in doing so, if the
> environment contains to much of this. Even if every single person involved
> is putting effort towards those goals. You are definitely not the first
> person to leave the WMF (in part) because of this.
Triple that. I've left environments over destructive communication, so I can relate to that...
Thank you, good luck, grow and reinvent yourself. Hope to see you IRL again.

DJ

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Amir Sarabadani-2
You will be missed Sumana, I personally will never forget what you did in
WMF to make Wiki a better place.

Best wishes

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 sep. 2014, at 20:08, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Sumana,
> >
> > Thanks for writing that up and the bits of helpful advice you gave me
> over
> > the years.
>
> Same here Sumana. You are the one who convinced me to come to my first
> MediaWiki Hackathon. You've inspired me to learn things that I now use
> every day and I'm truly grateful for that.
>

> > And like Micru, I have to agree with this part:
> >
> >> And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life
> (yes,
> >> there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement).
> >>

> > This is such a tragic waste on many levels. It's very hard to make real
> > progress towards an organizations goals and have fun in doing so, if the
> > environment contains to much of this. Even if every single person
> involved
> > is putting effort towards those goals. You are definitely not the first
> > person to leave the WMF (in part) because of this.
>
> Triple that. I've left environments over destructive communication, so I
> can relate to that...
> Thank you, good luck, grow and reinvent yourself. Hope to see you IRL
> again.
>
> DJ

Amir

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

nischay nahata
Hey Sumana,

I would like to say all the best in your future endeavors and say a big
Thank You for mentoring me (a lot of which wasn't even part of your job).
A lot of credit behind my small successes are attributed to you :)

Let me know how to stay in touch.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.
>
> I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
> http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0
>
> I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons
> wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain
> [[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the
> person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have
> questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.
>
> best,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager,
> now Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Nischay Nahata

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Katie Chan
It was a privilege to have meet you at Wikimedia events and you will be
missed

"And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life
(yes, there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement)."

Sad to read this, but so so understandable unfortunately.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

    - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Tony Thomas
All the best Sumana. You will be missed. :)

Thanks,
Tony Thomas <http://tttwrites.wordpress.com/>
FOSS@Amrita <http://foss.amrita.ac.in>

*"where there is a wifi, there is a way"*

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was a privilege to have meet you at Wikimedia events and you will be
> missed
>
> "And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life
> (yes, there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement)."
>
> Sad to read this, but so so understandable unfortunately.
>
> KTC
>
> --
> Katie Chan
> Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
> author is associated with or employed by.
>

> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>     - Heinrich Heine
>
> ---
> protection is active.

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Pine W
Thanks for your work and the explanation, Sumana.

If it is any consolation, I agree that it's good to work with nice people,
and we have some work to do on how people sometimes treat each other around
here.

Good luck,

Pine
On Sep 12, 2014 9:10 PM, "Tony Thomas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the best Sumana. You will be missed. :)
>

> Thanks,
> Tony Thomas <http://tttwrites.wordpress.com/>
> FOSS@Amrita <http://foss.amrita.ac.in>
>
> *"where there is a wifi, there is a way"*
>
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It was a privilege to have meet you at Wikimedia events and you will be
> > missed
> >
> > "And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life
> > (yes, there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement)."
> >
> > Sad to read this, but so so understandable unfortunately.
> >
> > KTC
> >
> > --
> > Katie Chan
> > Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
> > author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
> > author is associated with or employed by.
> >

> > Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
> >     - Heinrich Heine
> >
> > ---
> > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
> > protection is active.

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Thanks Sumana.. Have a great life and have fun living it. I hope to see you
around :)
GerardM

On 12 September 2014 18:09, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.
>
> I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
> http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0
>
> I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons
> wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain
> [[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the
> person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have
> questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.
>
> best,
> Sumana Harihareswara
> ​was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager,
> now Senior Technical Writer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Maarten Dammers
Hi Sumana,

Sumana Harihareswara schreef op 12-9-2014 18:09:
> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.
I'm sorry to see you leave. I really liked working with you and enjoyed
the constant enthusiasm and positivism you bring. I wish you all the
best for you new endeavours and I hope you keep being involved as a
volunteer.

Maarten

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Helen Halbert
Sumana, thank you for all the work you put into OPW - I know it means
a lot to many participants (both Wikimedia and non-Wikimedia interns)
- and for being such an awesome ally to librarians.

All the best in your next adventures!

On 13 September 2014 07:56, Maarten Dammers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sumana,
>
> Sumana Harihareswara schreef op 12-9-2014 18:09:
>>
>> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
>> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
>> last day will be 30 September.
>
> I'm sorry to see you leave. I really liked working with you and enjoyed the
> constant enthusiasm and positivism you bring. I wish you all the best for
> you new endeavours and I hope you keep being involved as a volunteer.
>
> Maarten

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Manuel Schneider-3
Thanks Sumana for sharing this with us and for all your work in the past
years.

I have to agree with many things said and it is always sad to see
someone go. Everything ends at some point and every ending also bears a
new start of something else. This applies to you as it does apply to us,
the Wikimedia movemenet and Foundation.

I wish you all the best for your future.

Manuel

Am 12.09.2014 18:09, schrieb Sumana Harihareswara:
> I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my
> last day will be 30 September.

--
Manuel Schneider - Chief Information Officer
Lausanne, +41 (21) 340 66 22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Markus Glaser
Hey Sumana,

this is really sad news. You know, you were one of my very first contacts in the international MediaWiki world! It's hard for me to imagine this world without Sumana. The way you draw people into the community is really exceptional!

I wish you all the best for your future and I hope we can nonetheless stay in touch somehow, as a community and on a personal level.

Take care,
Markus

I write this email with regret to let you know that I've decided to leave the Wikimedia Foundation after nearly four years working here, and that my last day will be 30 September.

I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0

I'm grateful for what I've learned here and will take these lessons wherever I go. And I've made many friends here; thank you. I'll remain [[User:Sumanah]] in any volunteer work I do onwiki. Quim Gil will be the person to contact for any loose threads I leave behind; still, if you have questions for me, the next two weeks would be a good time to ask them.

best,
Sumana Harihareswara
​was Volunteer Development Coordinator, then Engineering Community Manager, now Senior Technical Writer Wikimedia Foundation _______________________________________________

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Scott MacLeod
Farewell, Sumana,

Sorry you're leaving WikiMedia, appreciating your good spirits, and looking
forward to staying in communication.

Best regards, Scott

http://scottmacleod.com

https://twitter.com/WorldUnivandSch

http://worlduniversityandschool.org

wrote:

> Hey Sumana,
>
> Thanks for writing that up and the bits of helpful advice you gave me over
> the years.
>
> And like Micru, I have to agree with this part:
>
> And I'd like to [...] exclude destructive communication from my life (yes,
> > there's some amount of burnout on toxic people and entitlement).
> >

> This is such a tragic waste on many levels. It's very hard to make real
> progress towards an organizations goals and have fun in doing so, if the
> environment contains to much of this. Even if every single person involved
> is putting effort towards those goals. You are definitely not the first
> person to leave the WMF (in part) because of this.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw - http://www.bn2vs.com
> Software craftsmanship advocate
> Evil software architect at Wikimedia Germany
> ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: I'm leaving the Wikimedia Foundation

Quim Gil-2
On Friday, September 12, 2014, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I go into my reasoning and plans in this personal blog post:
> http://www.harihareswara.net/sumana/2014/09/12/0

Sumana, more than wishing you good luck (being luck a random factor by
definition) I wish you a new phase in which you reach to a point where you
feel with excitement that you are giving literally the best of you.

I will not insist in the "destructive communication" aspect that others
have resonated, but I would like to quote the rest of that very same
sentence in your blog post:

> And I'd like to try out what it's like to get better at making software,
to have more of a blank slate
> and perhaps less of a public spotlight, to work face-to-face with a team
here in New York City

This looks like a very good list of ingredients for a radical change of
context in your career, keeping Sumana's "assets" almost intact, just
re-purposed. Especially for Foundation employees, today Wikimedia is the
opposite of a blank slate or a calm and private place to work. It probably
has to be this way, although sometimes I wonder whether we the community
and we the Foundation shouldn't allow to ourselves more freedom to
experiment simply and explicitly out of our gut feelings. Well, you tried
creating such spaces through 20%, LevelUp, and other mechanisms for
individuals to work on whatever they felt it was worth trying.

Anyway, back to the ingredients: I'm sure they will do good for you.
Wikimedia will be always just a click away. I have learned a lot with you,
and I have no doubt that I will keep learning from you as we keep working
on making this community an interesting, welcoming, useful, and productive
place to be.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil