I was blocked for an unexisting policy

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
I have been blocked for displaying a photo on my
userpage. The photo in question was of another user
and was in "good standard". I was given an ultimatum
to remove the photo or be blocked.

I argued that I had the right to display the photo on
my userpage and that there was nothing in the policy
that disallowed me from doing so. I also argued that
the user in question agreed to release the photo under
GDU at the time when they uploaded the photo.

FeloniousMonk blocked me for 24-hours for harassment
and disruption. I don't see how I did any of that by
having the photo displayed on my userpage. Nowhere in
your policy does it say that we can disrupt by having
a photo in "good standing" displayed on our userpage.
I would like to know whether I am in the wrong, and if
so, why; and I would like to be unblocked. Thank you.

Anittas.

Related link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anittas#Warning

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
I know being blocked is annoying and may well make you angry, but please
don't spam the mailing list with 3 the same messages. One will do just as
well.

Could you explain why you posted the image on your userpage to begin with. I
don't see how the image of another user is relevant to a page about you and
your work.

Mgm

On 1/17/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been blocked for displaying a photo on my
> userpage. The photo in question was of another user
> and was in "good standard". I was given an ultimatum
> to remove the photo or be blocked.
>
> I argued that I had the right to display the photo on
> my userpage and that there was nothing in the policy
> that disallowed me from doing so. I also argued that
> the user in question agreed to release the photo under
> GDU at the time when they uploaded the photo.
>
> FeloniousMonk blocked me for 24-hours for harassment
> and disruption. I don't see how I did any of that by
> having the photo displayed on my userpage. Nowhere in
> your policy does it say that we can disrupt by having
> a photo in "good standing" displayed on our userpage.
> I would like to know whether I am in the wrong, and if
> so, why; and I would like to be unblocked. Thank you.
>
> Anittas.
>
> Related link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anittas#Warning

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Sam Spade
I think this is a pretty clear case on non-encyclopedic disruption.
The disruption policy is intentionally vague. There is no possible way
they could have thought up all the ways a person might disrupt our
project. Heck, if they listed all the different ways people have
historically disrupted our project, it would be so long and useless a
list as to be disruptive itself.

My first thought was for you to ad the image in question to a page
where it might be apropriate, but that is probably not a good idea at
this point either. Having been involved in a few scrapes regarding
images others prefered not to see, my advice is to find something
elese to do.

You seem interested in Romanian history. Would you perhaps be able to help out w

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corneliu_Zelea_Codreanu#Legacy

?

Cheers,

Sam Spade

On 1/21/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know being blocked is annoying and may well make you angry, but please
> don't spam the mailing list with 3 the same messages. One will do just as
> well.
>
> Could you explain why you posted the image on your userpage to begin with. I
> don't see how the image of another user is relevant to a page about you and
> your work.
>
> Mgm
>

> On 1/17/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have been blocked for displaying a photo on my
> > userpage. The photo in question was of another user
> > and was in "good standard". I was given an ultimatum
> > to remove the photo or be blocked.
> >
> > I argued that I had the right to display the photo on
> > my userpage and that there was nothing in the policy
> > that disallowed me from doing so. I also argued that
> > the user in question agreed to release the photo under
> > GDU at the time when they uploaded the photo.
> >
> > FeloniousMonk blocked me for 24-hours for harassment
> > and disruption. I don't see how I did any of that by
> > having the photo displayed on my userpage. Nowhere in
> > your policy does it say that we can disrupt by having
> > a photo in "good standing" displayed on our userpage.
> > I would like to know whether I am in the wrong, and if
> > so, why; and I would like to be unblocked. Thank you.
> >
> > Anittas.
> >
> > Related link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anittas#Warning

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
BTW, you took the right course of action by discussing things with an admin.
I'm just against any automated unblocking.

Mgm

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Mark Ryan
On 21/01/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know being blocked is annoying and may well make you angry, but please
> don't spam the mailing list with 3 the same messages. One will do just as
> well.

That's my fault. All three messages had been jumped into the
moderation queue; had I read all three I would only have approved one.
For some reason the moderation queue had not been cleared for quite a
long while.

~Mark

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
I posted this 4 days ago, which is why I sent three
different emails. The auto-reply said that I should
give it 12-hours, which I first did, and then I tried
again. I still don't agree with the ruling. In my
eyes, I didn't break any existing Wiki rules, and I
don't like when admins start to interpret the rules
and enforce them; and I also don't think that I should
have to justify something that did not break the
rules. But whatever. I know you guys will never
understand.

--- Sam Spade
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > > the user in question agreed to release the photo
> under
> > > GDU at the time when they uploaded the photo.
> > >
> > > FeloniousMonk blocked me for 24-hours for
> harassment
> > > and disruption. I don't see how I did any of
> that by
> > > having the photo displayed on my userpage.
> Nowhere in
> > > your policy does it say that we can disrupt by
> having
> > > a photo in "good standing" displayed on our
> userpage.
> > > I would like to know whether I am in the wrong,
> and if
> > > so, why; and I would like to be unblocked. Thank
> you.
> > >
> > > Anittas.
> > >
> > > Related link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anittas#Warning

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

gamaliel8
The absence of a rule directly forbidding your precise action does not
necessarily give you free reign to do it.  In this case, you are unwilling
to explain why you have a picture of another user on your user page and
unwilling to explain how this is not harrassment of a user you are in a
dispute with, so you really haven't given the blocking admin another way of
dealing with this situation.

On 1/21/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I posted this 4 days ago, which is why I sent three
> different emails. The auto-reply said that I should
> give it 12-hours, which I first did, and then I tried
> again. I still don't agree with the ruling. In my
> eyes, I didn't break any existing Wiki rules, and I
> don't like when admins start to interpret the rules
> and enforce them; and I also don't think that I should
> have to justify something that did not break the
> rules. But whatever. I know you guys will never
> understand.

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told me
not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and that
it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours gave me
peace of mind.

--- Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The absence of a rule directly forbidding your
> precise action does not
> necessarily give you free reign to do it.  In this
> case, you are unwilling
> to explain why you have a picture of another user on
> your user page and
> unwilling to explain how this is not harrassment of
> a user you are in a
> dispute with, so you really haven't given the
> blocking admin another way of
> dealing with this situation.
>

> On 1/21/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I posted this 4 days ago, which is why I sent
> three
> > different emails. The auto-reply said that I
> should
> > give it 12-hours, which I first did, and then I
> tried
> > again. I still don't agree with the ruling. In my
> > eyes, I didn't break any existing Wiki rules, and
> > don't like when admins start to interpret the
> rules
> > and enforce them; and I also don't think that I
> should
> > have to justify something that did not break the
> > rules. But whatever. I know you guys will never
> > understand.

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Matthew Brown-5
On 1/21/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told me
> not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and that
> it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours gave me
> peace of mind.

Anittas: This is exactly what got you a ban and will get you more if
you continue.

You are displaying an image of User:Node_ue on your page because you
know that it pisses him off.  As you were told on Wikipedia, don't be
disingenuous.  Don't make any more bullshit claims about why you're
putting it there and keeping it there.  Wikipedia is not a game of
rules.  Rules-lawyering about 'well, you can't PROVE I mean it to be
disrupting or uncivil ...' doesn't fly, because we all know you're
full of it.

Even if it were possible that you weren't doing it originally to piss
him off - which would be a lie - you have now been informed,
repeatedly, that keeping the image there pisses him off. No excuses.

-Matt

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

gamaliel8
Do you expect anyone to take this seriously?

On 1/21/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told me
> not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and that
> it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours gave me
> peace of mind.

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Jimmy Wales
STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wrote:
> Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told me
> not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and that
> it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours gave me
> peace of mind.

Count yourself lucky that you haven't been permanently banned already by
me personally.  Behave yourself going forward, or I will.

This excuse isn't even _cute_.  It's an insult to our intelligence.

--Jimbo

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
You are pissed because of the user-box conflict and
the amount of criticism you've received and now you're
taking out your anger on me. I should feel lucky for
not being banned just like you should feel lucky for
me not being banned, because my loss, would be equally
your loss, just like any other contributor's loss
would also be our loss. So I'm guessing I shouldn't
add your photo to my userpage, either, or else...

--- Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wrote:
> > Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told
> me
> > not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and
> that
> > it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours
> gave me
> > peace of mind.
>
> Count yourself lucky that you haven't been
> permanently banned already by
> me personally.  Behave yourself going forward, or I
> will.
>
> This excuse isn't even _cute_.  It's an insult to
> our intelligence.
>
> --Jimbo

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

gamaliel8
When a user wastes the time and interferes with the productivity of other
users with his or her nonsense, that can outweigh their positive
contributions and their absence from the project may turn out to be a net
gain.  Think about that before you poke the bear with a stick again.

On 1/21/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are pissed because of the user-box conflict and
> the amount of criticism you've received and now you're
> taking out your anger on me. I should feel lucky for
> not being banned just like you should feel lucky for
> me not being banned, because my loss, would be equally
> your loss, just like any other contributor's loss
> would also be our loss. So I'm guessing I shouldn't
> add your photo to my userpage, either, or else...

RE: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Rob

> When a user wastes the time and interferes with the
> productivity of other users with his or her nonsense, that
> can outweigh their positive contributions and their absence
> from the project may turn out to be a net gain.  Think about
> that before you poke the bear with a stick again.

Logically, this cuts both ways.

But of course we know that Wikimanagers are exempt from nonsense and wasting
the time of other managers....

Pete, prodding

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Mark Ryan
Back onto moderation you go. I don't tolerate incivility on this
mailing list (much).

~Mark Ryan
WikiEN-l mailing list administrator

On 22/01/06, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are pissed because of the user-box conflict and
> the amount of criticism you've received and now you're
> taking out your anger on me. I should feel lucky for
> not being banned just like you should feel lucky for
> me not being banned, because my loss, would be equally
> your loss, just like any other contributor's loss
> would also be our loss. So I'm guessing I shouldn't
> add your photo to my userpage, either, or else...
>

> --- Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wrote:
> > > Actually, I did try to explain, but the admin told
> > me
> > > not to be cute. I said that I liked the photo and
> > that
> > > it fitted in my page. The light-yellow colours
> > gave me
> > > peace of mind.
> >
> > Count yourself lucky that you haven't been
> > permanently banned already by
> > me personally.  Behave yourself going forward, or I
> > will.
> >
> > This excuse isn't even _cute_.  It's an insult to
> > our intelligence.
> >
> > --Jimbo

Re: I was blocked for an unexisting policy

Wikiacc
On 1/21/06, Sam Spade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> project. Heck, if they listed all the different ways people have
> historically disrupted our project, it would be so long and useless a
> list as to be disruptive itself.

Not to mention [[WP:BEANS]]...

--
~~~~