IRC hostmasks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IRC hostmasks

MinuteElectron
(Third time lucky) :)


For those of us who don't have commit access, but still submit patches
from time to time it would be quite useful to be able to identify
MediaWiki developers on IRC. This would allow us to target the right
people since at the moment it is very difficult to find someone to
commit your patch or get feedback unless you know a large number of
developers. A mediawiki/developer/svntag hostmask would increase
productivity of non-commiters by allowing  them to move onto different
bugs\features faster.

A similar thing could be done for Wikimedia system administrators as a
similar problem exists.

--
MinuteElectron.
http://my.brlcad.org/~MinuteElectron/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Thomas Dalton
> For those of us who don't have commit access, but still submit patches
> from time to time it would be quite useful to be able to identify
> MediaWiki developers on IRC.

Alternatively, just ask for commit access. Worked for me.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Casey Brown-3
...or just voice them all in the channel, though I'm pretty sure they don't
want that done.

On 10/26/07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > For those of us who don't have commit access, but still submit patches
> > from time to time it would be quite useful to be able to identify
> > MediaWiki developers on IRC.
>
> Alternatively, just ask for commit access. Worked for me.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
Note:  This e-mail address is used for mailing lists.  Personal emails sent
to
this address will probably get lost.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

MinuteElectron
In reply to this post by Thomas Dalton
On 10/26/07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alternatively, just ask for commit access. Worked for me.
>

My point regarding sysadmins still stands, however.

--
MinuteElectron.
http://my.brlcad.org/~MinuteElectron/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

MinuteElectron
In reply to this post by Casey Brown-3
On 10/26/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...or just voice them all in the channel, though I'm pretty sure they don't
> want that done.
>

Yes, you are probably right - while a valid alternative and probably
more useful it is very difficult to maintain given the hierachy
structure the freenode ircd provides. Although your point may be valid
for hostmasks as well.

--
MinuteElectron.
http://my.brlcad.org/~MinuteElectron/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Majorly
On 27/10/2007, Minute Electron <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 10/26/07, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ...or just voice them all in the channel, though I'm pretty sure they
> don't
> > want that done.
> >
>
> Yes, you are probably right - while a valid alternative and probably
> more useful it is very difficult to maintain given the hierachy
> structure the freenode ircd provides. Although your point may be valid
> for hostmasks as well.
>
> --
> MinuteElectron.
> http://my.brlcad.org/~MinuteElectron/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>

Trusted users are voiced in #wikimedia-commons, so the same could apply
here.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Snowolf-2
Otherwise, just list 'em on meta with their IRC nicks included.

Snowolf


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

signature.asc (258 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Rob Church
On 27/10/2007, Snowolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Otherwise, just list 'em on meta with their IRC nicks included.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers


Rob Church

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC hostmasks

Platonides
Rob Church wrote:
> On 27/10/2007, Snowolf wrote:
>> Otherwise, just list 'em on meta with their IRC nicks included.
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers
>
> Rob Church

It doesn't list sysadmins. Points for that to the really outdated
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Developers


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l