IRC public meeting

Deryck Chan

Dear jury, moderators and all,

The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to happen a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.

Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?

Thanks a lot,
Deryck
(Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

Re: IRC public meeting

Lodewijk
Hi Deryck,

apologies for the lack of communication. We agreed within the jury that this date would probably not be a good one, considering the Berlin meeting. Hence, we decided to move the IRC meeting one week to April 7. The current scheduled time is 14:00 UTC, but please let us know if that is an extremely uncomfortable time for any of the bidding teams.

A confirmation of the exact time will likely follow by James somewhere the coming days.

Best,
Lodewijk
(jury member)

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:22, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Dear jury, moderators and all,

The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to happen a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.

Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?

Thanks a lot,
Deryck
(Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

Re: IRC public meeting

Benny-42
I've updated the meta page. Will the last day of finalising the bidding page moved to 6 April?

___________________

Regards,
benny

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:22, Deryck Chan <deryckchan@...> escreveu:

Dear jury, moderators and all,

The first IRC public meeting for Wikimania 2013 bids is scheduled to happen a week from now on 31 March, time TBD.

Given that the bidding teams are scattered across so many time zones and with many people involved in the bidding process being part of the Berlin chapters meeting, will the jury and moderators fix an exact time for the upcoming meeting ASAP, to help local bidding teams schedule their up-time?

Thanks a lot,
Deryck
(Member of the Hong Kong bidding team)

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: IRC public meeting

Lodewijk
Unless James tells you otherwise, please assume that all other deadlines and dates remain intact.

Best regards,
Lodewijk

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:33, Benny <[hidden email]> escreveu:
I've updated the meta page. Will the last day of finalising the bidding page moved to 6 April?

___________________

Regards,
benny

Re: IRC public meeting

Lodewijk
Hi Deryck,

since nobody objected to the time, I will make the time final. My apologies for the delay.

Lodewijk

No dia 4 de Abril de 2012 17:42, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Would any member of the jury be kind enough to confirm the time (and expected duration if possible) of the IRC public meeting this Saturday? Thanks.

Deryck

On Mar 24, 2012 12:35 AM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unless James tells you otherwise, please assume that all other deadlines and dates remain intact.

Best regards,
Lodewijk

No dia 23 de Março de 2012 17:33, Benny <[hidden email]> escreveu:
I've updated the meta page. Will the last day of finalising the bidding page moved to 6 April?

___________________

Regards,
benny

Re: IRC public meeting

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi,

my calendar says:

Saturday, April 7th, 14:00 UTC

/Manuel

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Deryck Chan

How long is it expected to last?

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Lodewijk
Way ahead of you there ;-) Added it on  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids  : 90-120 minutes. We have 5 bids, so I think we will most likely need that time.

Lodewijk

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Bennylin
Dear jury members,

Since the Q&A session will be at 9 p.m. Indonesian time, and a teammate has family she needs to attend to, could we start as the first, or at least second team in the Q&A session?

___________________

Regards,
benny

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Lodewijk
Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can reply to questions that come up later on.

Thanks for the effort,

Lodewijk

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Béria Lima
The log is already on meta.

You can find it at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012

Cheers,
_____

Inline images 1

Béria Lima

 Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.

Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Craig Franklin-2
I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business, but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from many timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method to judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe and North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?

Cheers,
Craig Franklin

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: IRC public meeting

Thomas Goldammer
Hi.
Which alternative method would that be? Actually, I think two IRC
meetings at the edge of the day, even if it's 11 PM or 7 AM local
time, aren't too hard to come along with. If absolutely nobody from a
certain bidding team can make it to both of the meetings, one can
still arrange something else for them, but that is unlikely to happen.
Note that when the Wikimania actually takes place, 11 PM or 7 AM will
not be unusual times for being needed for organizing things, anyway...
But that's my personal opinion and I might be a bit strict with such
need for flexibility of the bidding teams. :)

What one could do next time, however, is to have the two meetings at
completely different times, one more suitable for the Americas (like 8
PM UTC), one more for the opposite side of the world (Eastern Asia,
Australia etc) (like 8 AM UTC). Europe/Africa won't be a problem for
both.

Best regards,
Th.

2012/4/15 Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>

> I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business,
> but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.
>  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from many
> timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method to
> judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe and
> North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be
> extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the
> organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
> desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?
>
> Cheers,
> Craig Franklin
>

> On 8 April 2012 04:12, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The log is already on meta.
>>
>> You can find it at:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> _____
>>
>> Béria Lima
>>

>>  Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.
>>

>> Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

>> On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
>>> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
>>> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
>>> of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
>>> reply to questions that come up later on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk
>>>
>>> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <[hidden email]>

Re: IRC public meeting

Deryck Chan

Hence the suggestion that this shall be the last time Wikimania bids happen this way. Next year, not just the way of organising synchronous meetings, but the entire method of choosing a location and organising team should be changed.

IRC isn't the only thing that's become a bit too retro.

Deryck

On Apr 15, 2012 8:39 AM, "Thomas Goldammer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
Which alternative method would that be? Actually, I think two IRC
meetings at the edge of the day, even if it's 11 PM or 7 AM local
time, aren't too hard to come along with. If absolutely nobody from a
certain bidding team can make it to both of the meetings, one can
still arrange something else for them, but that is unlikely to happen.
Note that when the Wikimania actually takes place, 11 PM or 7 AM will
not be unusual times for being needed for organizing things, anyway...
But that's my personal opinion and I might be a bit strict with such
need for flexibility of the bidding teams. :)

What one could do next time, however, is to have the two meetings at
completely different times, one more suitable for the Americas (like 8
PM UTC), one more for the opposite side of the world (Eastern Asia,
Australia etc) (like 8 AM UTC). Europe/Africa won't be a problem for
both.

Best regards,
Th.

2012/4/15 Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>

> I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business,
> but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.
>  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from many
> timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method to
> judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe and
> North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be
> extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the
> organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
> desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?
>
> Cheers,
> Craig Franklin
>

> On 8 April 2012 04:12, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The log is already on meta.
>>
>> You can find it at:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> _____
>>
>> Béria Lima
>>

>>  Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.
>>

>> Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

>> On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
>>> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
>>> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
>>> of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
>>> reply to questions that come up later on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk
>>>
>>> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <[hidden email]>

Re: IRC public meeting

Craig Franklin-2
Perhaps we can think outside of the box, and have the bidding teams announce the time that they'll have the presentation, and then it's up to the jury to come along if they can make it ;-)

The way we do things probably makes sense for an organisation like the International Olympic Committee or FIFA, where everyone is professionally employed and able to go to one location at one time to make a glossy presentation, but unfortunately this movement and our bid teams are not that generously financed.

Cheers,
Craig

On 15 April 2012 10:39, Thomas Goldammer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.
Which alternative method would that be? Actually, I think two IRC
meetings at the edge of the day, even if it's 11 PM or 7 AM local
time, aren't too hard to come along with. If absolutely nobody from a
certain bidding team can make it to both of the meetings, one can
still arrange something else for them, but that is unlikely to happen.
Note that when the Wikimania actually takes place, 11 PM or 7 AM will
not be unusual times for being needed for organizing things, anyway...
But that's my personal opinion and I might be a bit strict with such
need for flexibility of the bidding teams. :)

What one could do next time, however, is to have the two meetings at
completely different times, one more suitable for the Americas (like 8
PM UTC), one more for the opposite side of the world (Eastern Asia,
Australia etc) (like 8 AM UTC). Europe/Africa won't be a problem for
both.

Best regards,
Th.

2012/4/15 Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>

> I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my business,
> but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for 2009.
>  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from many
> timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method to
> judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe and
> North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be
> extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the
> organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
> desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?
>
> Cheers,
> Craig Franklin
>

> On 8 April 2012 04:12, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The log is already on meta.
>>
>> You can find it at:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> _____
>>
>> Béria Lima
>>

>>  Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.
>>

>> Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

>> On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
>>> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
>>> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
>>> of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
>>> reply to questions that come up later on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk
>>>
>>> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <[hidden email]>

Re: IRC public meeting

Joseph Seddon-4
How would you like to see the method changed? There are certainly a lot of options we could look at. We should remember that any process as benefits and limitations.

Seddon

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013/IRC_meeting_07-04-2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> _____
>>
>> Béria Lima
>>

>>  Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano.
>>

>> Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

>> On 6 April 2012 06:11, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there are other bidding teams with a strong preference that seems
>>> no problem to me. The default order will be alphabetical, but if there are
>>> no objections we will change that on the spot. We would appreciate it if one
>>> of your team members is there the whole session - to make sure that you can
>>> reply to questions that come up later on.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk
>>>
>>> No dia 6 de Abril de 2012 10:22, Bennylin <[hidden email]>

Re: IRC public meeting

James Hare
Wikimania unconference session on Wikimania bid reform, anyone? :D

James Hare

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hence the suggestion that this shall be the last time Wikimania bids happen
> this way. Next year, not just the way of organising synchronous meetings,
> but the entire method of choosing a location and organising team should be
> changed.
>
> IRC isn't the only thing that's become a bit too retro.
>
> Deryck
>
> On Apr 15, 2012 8:39 AM, "Thomas Goldammer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>> Which alternative method would that be? Actually, I think two IRC
>> meetings at the edge of the day, even if it's 11 PM or 7 AM local
>> time, aren't too hard to come along with. If absolutely nobody from a
>> certain bidding team can make it to both of the meetings, one can
>> still arrange something else for them, but that is unlikely to happen.
>> Note that when the Wikimania actually takes place, 11 PM or 7 AM will
>> not be unusual times for being needed for organizing things, anyway...
>> But that's my personal opinion and I might be a bit strict with such
>> need for flexibility of the bidding teams. :)
>>
>> What one could do next time, however, is to have the two meetings at
>> completely different times, one more suitable for the Americas (like 8
>> PM UTC), one more for the opposite side of the world (Eastern Asia,
>> Australia etc) (like 8 AM UTC). Europe/Africa won't be a problem for
>> both.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Th.
>>
>> 2012/4/15 Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> > I know that I'm not bidding this year, so this may be none of my
>> > business,
>> > but we encountered a similar problem when we bid all the way back for
>> > 2009.
>> >  Might I suggest that a "presentation model" which requires people from
>> > many
>> > timezones to be present at one time might no longer be a suitable method
>> > judge entries?  Especially with more bids coming from outside of Europe
>> > and
>> > North America, it seems to me that whatever timezone you pick will be
>> > extremely inconvenient for someone, and it might be a better use of the
>> > organisers' time to come up with an alternative method, rather than
>> > desperately trying to come up with a time that everyone can be present?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Craig Franklin

Re: IRC public meeting

Philippe Beaudette-3

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps we can think outside of the box, and have the bidding teams announce the time that they'll have the presentation, and then it's up to the jury to come along if they can make it ;-)

Wow, really?  You want a bid scuttled because a few jurors got together and decided to skip, say, Australia? :-)

That's a lot of power to put in someone's hands....

Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643