If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

David Gerard-2
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/

- d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Nathan Awrich
Probably [[List of 100 most valuable companies]], [[Stock index movements
last 100 years]] and [[Treatments to reverse aging]].

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/
>

> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Anthony-73
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/D****l B****t (752nd nomination)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/
>

> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
I would look up my obituary on the [[Wikipedia:Deceased Wikipedians]] page
and see what was listed as my place of death.  Then, I would make sure
never to go there.

Newyorkbrad

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/
>

> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Carcharoth
Yeah, like that would work! Some strange plot device involving
disambiguation pages and arriving somewhere on the fatal day and
discovering that a town has just changed its name, would lead to the
inevitable denouement... (you know, like all those failed 'avoiding
death' scenarios in the Final Destination film series - if you've not
seen them, best avoided really).

Carcharoth

On 2/12/13, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would look up my obituary on the [[Wikipedia:Deceased Wikipedians]] page
> and see what was listed as my place of death.  Then, I would make sure
> never to go there.
>
> Newyorkbrad
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/
>>

>> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Carcharoth
> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/

On a meta-philosophical point, would you be able in the ten minutes
you had available be able to check if what you were reading was in a
vandalised state or not, and would you have time to check the sources?
Seeing as it is the sources you need to read to verify what you are
reading... (no-one takes on blind trust what they read on Wikipedia
without checking the sources, do they now??).

Carcharoth

PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
suppose this is all missing the point of the question...

On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
> protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
> entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
> 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
> suppose this is all missing the point of the question...

It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?

- d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Nathan Awrich
Some equivalent of "random article" 100 times fast. But what if Wikipedia
100 years from now is delivered via wireless neural network, in the form of
direct memory transfer? Then maybe you would need more than that 10 minute
period just to figure out how to work the damn thing.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
> > protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
> > entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
> > 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
> > suppose this is all missing the point of the question...
>

> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?
>

> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Anthony-73
Place of death:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenae,_New_York

Make sure you stay away from [[Troy, New York]] too.  And don't bother
predicting its destruction.  No one will believe you.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, like that would work! Some strange plot device involving
> disambiguation pages and arriving somewhere on the fatal day and
> discovering that a town has just changed its name, would lead to the
> inevitable denouement... (you know, like all those failed 'avoiding
> death' scenarios in the Final Destination film series - if you've not
> seen them, best avoided really).
>
> Carcharoth
>
> On 2/12/13, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would look up my obituary on the [[Wikipedia:Deceased Wikipedians]] page
>> and see what was listed as my place of death.  Then, I would make sure
>> never to go there.
>>
>> Newyorkbrad
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/18dcov/if_someone_gave_you_the_entirety_of_wikipedia/
>>>

>>> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

geni
On 12 February 2013 23:41, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?

"gold" perhaps in the hope of finding where future reserves would be.

In terms of technology I guess Horseless carriage, telephone, and
railroad for the more practically minded.

For the more fanciful (or at least those in touch with sci-fi pulp or
otherwise) Time travel, Steam man, space travel.

Bit early for Free silver.

--
geni

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Jonathan Cardy
Putting my 1890 hat on I would say Romanov, as much of the shape of
European history is decided by the player with the most options.

WSC

On 12 February 2013 23:41, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
> > protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
> > entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
> > 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
> > suppose this is all missing the point of the question...
>

> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?
>

> - d.

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Tim Starling-2
On 13/02/13 10:41, David Gerard wrote:

> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
>> protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
>> entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
>> 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
>> suppose this is all missing the point of the question...
>

> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?

Maybe some disease of local concern. Water-borne diseases like typhoid
or cholera would be a lucky choice, since ten minutes would just about
give you time to follow a q.v. to "chlorination" and make the relevant
discovery some 4 years early. Calcium hypochlorite was already widely
available, all you've got to do is mix it with your drinking water.

-- Tim Starling

Re: If someone gave you the entirety of Wikipedia from 100 years in the future for only 10 minutes, what would you read?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/02/13 10:41, David Gerard wrote:
>> On 12 February 2013 23:05, Carcharoth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> PS. You might find that the page(s) you chose to read had been
>>> protected for years, or was in the middle of an edit war. Or that the
>>> entire encyclopedia had been 'checked' and published and was
>>> 'finished'? Would that be a cause for celebration or not? OK, I
>>> suppose this is all missing the point of the question...
>>

>> It's interesting. If you were in 1890, and you got ten minutes' access
>> to an Encyclopedia Britannica from 1990 - what would you look up?
>
> Maybe some disease of local concern. Water-borne diseases like typhoid
> or cholera would be a lucky choice, since ten minutes would just about
> give you time to follow a q.v. to "chlorination" and make the relevant
> discovery some 4 years early. Calcium hypochlorite was already widely
> available, all you've got to do is mix it with your drinking water.

As many of the articles I currently regularly check to see how badly
vandalized or not they are...

Probably given that the scale of time is such, the relative amount
of active editing in them wouldn't be a concern, so I would go for
pure degree of concern in general.

Mother Theresa, Martin Luther, Solon, List of Occultists, Isaac
Newton's Occult Studies.