If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Quim Gil-2
Yesterday we opened the travel request process for Wikimedia Foundation
employees in Engineering and Product willing to participate at the
Wikimedia Hackathon or Wikimania. There is no public link, but you can
follow this task at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89355

In this process, we are asking WMF employees to find a hackathon buddy with
the sole requirement of not being another WMF employee. In fact, in the
registration for the hackathons we will request the same to all
participants.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons#Pairing_buddies

This means that non-WMF contributors might receive a request from a WMF
employee to be hackathon buddies. This also means that if you are planning
to participate in any of these events (and especially if you plan to
request travel sponsorship to Lyon) you will be encouraged to find a buddy
as well.

It's going to be fun.  :) And no worries, we will help making connections
to whoever needs that help.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Petr Bena
Is there any limit for a number of buddies? I suppose that one WMF
employee can have more than 1 non-WMF buddy, otherwise the limit of
non-WMF people at hackathon would equal number of employees :P

P.S. I no have a buddy :'( no one lieks me

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday we opened the travel request process for Wikimedia Foundation
> employees in Engineering and Product willing to participate at the
> Wikimedia Hackathon or Wikimania. There is no public link, but you can
> follow this task at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89355
>
> In this process, we are asking WMF employees to find a hackathon buddy with
> the sole requirement of not being another WMF employee. In fact, in the
> registration for the hackathons we will request the same to all
> participants.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons#Pairing_buddies
>
> This means that non-WMF contributors might receive a request from a WMF
> employee to be hackathon buddies. This also means that if you are planning
> to participate in any of these events (and especially if you plan to
> request travel sponsorship to Lyon) you will be encouraged to find a buddy
> as well.
>
> It's going to be fun.  :) And no worries, we will help making connections
> to whoever needs that help.
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Pine W
This is a great idea, Quim.

Will the same concept apply to the Wikimedia Conference in Germany?

Pine

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any limit for a number of buddies?

Let's not overcomplicate things.

> I suppose that one WMF
> employee can have more than 1 non-WMF buddy, otherwise the limit of
> non-WMF people at hackathon would equal number of employees :P

Revise your algorithm. :) While WMF employees must find non-WMF buddies,
non-WMF employees can buddy up with other non-WMF employees.

Pine, the initial idea of the buddies came up in an Engineering Community
team meeting around the MediaWiki Developer Summit a few weeks ago. We have
discussed it a bit in a couple of Phabricator tasks, a wiki page, and (in
the past 24 hours) in two mailing lists. I don't think the Wikimedia
Conference in Germany or any other event currently scheduled has even heard
about this concept. If you like it, please advocate for it.  :)

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Quim Gil-2
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> P.S. I no have a buddy :'( no one lieks me

Others have conveyed the same message in different ways. Let's proceed with
the experiment: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lyon_Hackathon_2015/Buddies

(The Wikimania site is still lacking a Hackathon page in the first place --
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88405 )

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Pine W
Thanks. Forwarding to Ellie for her consideration.

Pine
On Feb 19, 2015 11:41 AM, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Petr Bena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any limit for a number of buddies?
>

> Let's not overcomplicate things.
>

> > I suppose that one WMF
> > employee can have more than 1 non-WMF buddy, otherwise the limit of
> > non-WMF people at hackathon would equal number of employees :P
> >

> Revise your algorithm. :) While WMF employees must find non-WMF buddies,
> non-WMF employees can buddy up with other non-WMF employees.
>
> Pine, the initial idea of the buddies came up in an Engineering Community
> team meeting around the MediaWiki Developer Summit a few weeks ago. We have
> discussed it a bit in a couple of Phabricator tasks, a wiki page, and (in
> the past 24 hours) in two mailing lists. I don't think the Wikimedia
> Conference in Germany or any other event currently scheduled has even heard
> about this concept. If you like it, please advocate for it.  :)

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Jeremy Baron
On Feb 19, 2015 2:55 PM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks. Forwarding to Ellie for her consideration.

Ellie doesn't seem to be mentioned on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015 or in it's edit
history. So probably the wrong person. Maybe try the talk page there. But
also give some reason why it would be applicable, advance a goal, etc. And
it couldn't be ported directly because there's more classes of people e.g.
chapters' folks.

(not sure what is or isn't in scope for her job but certainly the focus is
Wikimania and she'd need to focus on that while the Germany conference
planning is at its peak)

-Jeremy

Re: If you hear about 'hackathon buddies'...

Quim Gil-2
If you are looking for a Wikimania Hackathon buddy, check
https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon/Buddies