Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
Wanting to edit on the nl.wikipedia I found my IP blocked. All of the
IP's of my Thai internet provider are blocked it seems. So I cannot edit
nl.wikipedia!

On nl: user RonaldB has a private project of AUTOBLOCKING all open
proxies. All Thai providers use open proxies. So now I am blocked and
cannot log in. RonaldB never got agreement on nl: for this nor is this a
wikimedia policy to stop all users in Thailand from editing. Still

I AM FUCKING BLOCKED AGAIN.

Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

James Hare
Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.

But Thailand, according to you, runs entirely on open proxies.

We'll have to make an exception.

On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wanting to edit on the nl.wikipedia I found my IP blocked. All of the
> IP's of my Thai internet provider are blocked it seems. So I cannot edit
> nl.wikipedia!
>
> On nl: user RonaldB has a private project of AUTOBLOCKING all open
> proxies. All Thai providers use open proxies. So now I am blocked and
> cannot log in. RonaldB never got agreement on nl: for this nor is this a
> wikimedia policy to stop all users in Thailand from editing. Still
>
> I AM FUCKING BLOCKED AGAIN.
>
> Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
I was busy writing on the bangkok bombings. And if this is wiki policy
why does en.wikipedia allow these ip's to edit. The strangest thing is.
I am logged in. So I should be able to edit. but I get the message that
the ip is blocked because of open proxy. These ip's are the range of my
provider. Which has 500.000 subscribers.

Waerth

>Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
>
>But Thailand, according to you, runs entirely on open proxies.
>
>We'll have to make an exception.
>
>On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Wanting to edit on the nl.wikipedia I found my IP blocked. All of the
>>IP's of my Thai internet provider are blocked it seems. So I cannot edit
>>nl.wikipedia!
>>
>>On nl: user RonaldB has a private project of AUTOBLOCKING all open
>>proxies. All Thai providers use open proxies. So now I am blocked and
>>cannot log in. RonaldB never got agreement on nl: for this nor is this a
>>wikimedia policy to stop all users in Thailand from editing. Still
>>
>>I AM FUCKING BLOCKED AGAIN.
>>
>>Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Andre Engels
2007/1/1, James Hare <[hidden email]>:

> Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.

No, they are not. On nl:Wikipedia they  have not been blocked, partly
exactly for the reason Waerth mentions. Apart from that, if they are blocked
everywhere, then who has decided this?

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

James Hare
I don't think it's that English Wikipedia allows them, it's that they
haven't been blocked yet.

I don't know if Dutch Wikipedia has a formal requesting-unblock system in
place but leave some sort of message on your talk page saying the autoblock
doesn't allow you to edit. At least on English Wikipedia, open proxy blocks
get lifted this way.

On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was busy writing on the bangkok bombings. And if this is wiki policy
> why does en.wikipedia allow these ip's to edit. The strangest thing is.
> I am logged in. So I should be able to edit. but I get the message that
> the ip is blocked because of open proxy. These ip's are the range of my
> provider. Which has 500.000 subscribers.
>
> Waerth
>

> >Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
> >
> >But Thailand, according to you, runs entirely on open proxies.
> >
> >We'll have to make an exception.
> >
> >On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>Wanting to edit on the nl.wikipedia I found my IP blocked. All of the
> >>IP's of my Thai internet provider are blocked it seems. So I cannot edit
> >>nl.wikipedia!
> >>
> >>On nl: user RonaldB has a private project of AUTOBLOCKING all open
> >>proxies. All Thai providers use open proxies. So now I am blocked and
> >>cannot log in. RonaldB never got agreement on nl: for this nor is this a
> >>wikimedia policy to stop all users in Thailand from editing. Still
> >>
> >>I AM FUCKING BLOCKED AGAIN.
> >>
> >>Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
I asked the mods on IRC and allthey could do was laugh and say wait for
tomorrow

These call themselves mods.

Waerth

>I don't think it's that English Wikipedia allows them, it's that they
>haven't been blocked yet.
>
>I don't know if Dutch Wikipedia has a formal requesting-unblock system in
>place but leave some sort of message on your talk page saying the autoblock
>doesn't allow you to edit. At least on English Wikipedia, open proxy blocks
>get lifted this way.
>
>On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I was busy writing on the bangkok bombings. And if this is wiki policy
>>why does en.wikipedia allow these ip's to edit. The strangest thing is.
>>I am logged in. So I should be able to edit. but I get the message that
>>the ip is blocked because of open proxy. These ip's are the range of my
>>provider. Which has 500.000 subscribers.
>>
>>Waerth
>>

>>>Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
>>>
>>>But Thailand, according to you, runs entirely on open proxies.
>>>
>>>We'll have to make an exception.

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
The whole range of my provider was blocked by RonaldB tonight Andre.

Waerth

>2007/1/1, James Hare <[hidden email]>:
>

>>Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
>>

>No, they are not. On nl:Wikipedia they  have not been blocked, partly
>exactly for the reason Waerth mentions. Apart from that, if they are blocked
>everywhere, then who has decided this?

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
The following mods have refused so far:

CE
Gerbennn
avanschelven

because they say open proxy blocking is correct. This means I can never
edit nl.wikipedia anymore.

Waerth

>I don't think it's that English Wikipedia allows them, it's that they
>haven't been blocked yet.
>
>I don't know if Dutch Wikipedia has a formal requesting-unblock system in
>place but leave some sort of message on your talk page saying the autoblock
>doesn't allow you to edit. At least on English Wikipedia, open proxy blocks
>get lifted this way.
>
>On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I was busy writing on the bangkok bombings. And if this is wiki policy
>>why does en.wikipedia allow these ip's to edit. The strangest thing is.
>>I am logged in. So I should be able to edit. but I get the message that
>>the ip is blocked because of open proxy. These ip's are the range of my
>>provider. Which has 500.000 subscribers.
>>
>>Waerth
>>

>>>Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
>>>
>>>But Thailand, according to you, runs entirely on open proxies.
>>>
>>>We'll have to make an exception.

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Luna-4
On 12/31/06, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2007/1/1, James Hare <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Open proxies are banned from all Wikimedia projects.
>

> No, they are not. On nl:Wikipedia they  have not been blocked, partly
> exactly for the reason Waerth mentions. Apart from that, if they are
> blocked
> everywhere, then who has decided this?

 My understanding is that there is such a prohibition:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WM:OP
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WM:NOP

Beyond that, I don't have the answers.

-Luna

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Jerome Banal-2
Hello Waerth,

Ask them to modify the block so as it to block only anonymous users using
those open proxies. This option is available since 2 or 3 months.
I think, it should solve both your problem (and any other registered or
future registred users one) and their problem (vandals using open proxy to
avoid being blocked).

Regards,
Jerome

2007/1/1, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]>:

> The following mods have refused so far:
>
> CE
> Gerbennn
> avanschelven
>
> because they say open proxy blocking is correct. This means I can never
> edit nl.wikipedia anymore.
>
> Waerth
>
> >I don't think it's that English Wikipedia allows them, it's that they
> >haven't been blocked yet.
> >
> >I don't know if Dutch Wikipedia has a formal requesting-unblock system in
> >place but leave some sort of message on your talk page saying the
> autoblock
> >doesn't allow you to edit. At least on English Wikipedia, open proxy
> blocks
> >get lifted this way.
> >
> >On 12/31/06, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>I was busy writing on the bangkok bombings. And if this is wiki policy
> >>why does en.wikipedia allow these ip's to edit. The strangest thing is.
> >>I am logged in. So I should be able to edit. but I get the message that
> >>the ip is blocked because of open proxy. These ip's are the range of my
> >>provider. Which has 500.000 subscribers.
> >>
> >>Waerth

> edit

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

annabel-3
Waerth,

Ronalvd has the support of the sysops on wikipedia NL. He is doing a great job by blocking open proxies of which we get a lot of vandalism.
Surely he doesn't block all open proxies (only the ones we need to block). Please contact him for a solution, instead of posting to this mailing list.

Greetings,
Annabel (@wikipedia.be)

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Slashdot has the following ..
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/01/1248251
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 1/1/07, annabel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Waerth,
>
> Ronalvd has the support of the sysops on wikipedia NL. He is doing a great
> job by blocking open proxies of which we get a lot of vandalism.
> Surely he doesn't block all open proxies (only the ones we need to block).
> Please contact him for a solution, instead of posting to this mailing list.
>
> Greetings,
> Annabel (@wikipedia.be)

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

oscar-11
a quote from gerardm's link:

***quote:***
I can't speak for Wikipedia's spam blocking process, but I operate a Wiki
that is well known enough to get a lot of spam. I block that fairly
effectively. Seven pieces of true spam have gotten through over the two and
a half years since I implemented the first version of my spam blocking, but
I had almost half my site overwritten at one point before that, so I take it
pretty seriously. I fully understand why many Wiki owners have decided to
make their Wikis read only rather than deal with it and why others have
resorted to required logons, confirmations of the existence of a human, and
other measures. Some useful factoids:

   1. The volume of Wikispam attacks on my site more than doubled last
   month. I'm sure that Wikipedia gets a great deal more volume than I do and
   that they probably saw a similar percentage rise.
   2. Most Wikispam is focused on raising the Google ranking of one or
   more web sites. In the past a huge portion of the volume has been focused
   around pornography sites. This months most commonly advertised site is a
   search engine called Rollyo. Minor editorial: please boycott that search
   engine and its associated blog.
   3. Wikispam has a fairly predictable content and submission profile.
   While many Wikis have resorted to logins and address blocking, I've found
   the content so predictable that I actually removed my IP-based address
   blocking last month.
   4. One of the more predictable aspects of Wikispam is that it is often
   generated from many machines via robot attacks. One presumes that the
   attacker is not paying to use all of these different machines (e.g.
   that the machines have been hijacked).
   5. The middle east (and more specifically, Quatar, Kuwait, and the UAE
   in general) has proven to be a major source of robot attacks. I don't know
   if this means anything, but it suggests that machines in that part of the
   world are either poorly secured or have been effectively targeted by robot
   builders. I also get a lot of robot attacks through (presumably South)
   Korea.

I don't want to make any great claims, at least in part because I don't want
to increase the attack frequency on my site or get slashdotted, but my
software has been very effective in blocking almost everything that the
spammers throw at me. I don't currently block any countries and am reluctant
to publicly reveal the rules I use for the blocking, but do block about a
dozen IP addresses that have been used enough to suggest that they are
directly associated with individual spammers.

***end of quote***

happy new year :-P
oscar

ps the case of thailand and waerth specifically is now being discussed at
the dutch list, and i do hope we find a solution soon

On 1/1/07, GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Slashdot has the following ..
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/01/1248251
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>

> On 1/1/07, annabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Waerth,
> >
> > Ronalvd has the support of the sysops on wikipedia NL. He is doing a
> great
> > job by blocking open proxies of which we get a lot of vandalism.
> > Surely he doesn't block all open proxies (only the ones we need to
> block).
> > Please contact him for a solution, instead of posting to this mailing
> list.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Annabel (@wikipedia.be)

the Wikimedia Foundation, its Board of Trustees, nor of Wikimedia Nederland
and its Board.

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken

>ps the case of thailand and waerth specifically is now being discussed at
>the dutch list, and i do hope we find a solution soon

Which Dutch list? This should be a public discussion.

Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Well you know as well as I do that on the Dutch moderator mailing list often
discussions are held that do not really need to be confidential or limited
to the Dutch moderators. Then again by not having some discussions in the
open, often a lot less angry words are said. This in turn as you know and
agree helps to concentrate on what is most important.. the one thing you
sadly cannot be part of at the moment.. working on content.
Thanks,
     GerardM

2007/1/1, GerardM <[hidden email]>:

> Well you know as well as I do that on the Dutch moderator mailing list
> often
> discussions are held that do not really need to be confidential or limited
> to the Dutch moderators.

I don't know whether I should be glad that I don't need to be bothered with
this, or angry that again things are being arranged without me or anyone
else who doesn't happen to be a moderator even having a chance to have their
say. I guess I'll be both. Problem is that with already having given up
sysophood, and not being able to leave at all, I have little I can do
anyway.

--
Andre Engels, [hidden email]
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
It is very nice to see people discussing about a situation which they do
not know off because they have never confronted it. This will lead to
some rosy coloured decisions based on what is possible in the west. Not
on what is possible in the rest of the world. Also Gerard you are not a
mod and still on the nl-mods list! Which is a very strange situation.
These kind of discussions involve all of the nl. community. Andre Engels
who is not on that list is interested in that discussion as well. But he
is not able to contribute. Is this the way we go on nl: ? The mods get
to decide our future for us?

And as you know I refuse to actively work on content. Only the bombings
were an exception for me. But now if I have to go through so much
trouble to do something, I am not a vandal remember, I might as well do
nothing.

Waerth

>Hoi,
>Well you know as well as I do that on the Dutch moderator mailing list often
>discussions are held that do not really need to be confidential or limited
>to the Dutch moderators. Then again by not having some discussions in the
>open, often a lot less angry words are said. This in turn as you know and
>agree helps to concentrate on what is most important.. the one thing you
>sadly cannot be part of at the moment.. working on content.
>Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
>On 1/1/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>>ps the case of thailand and waerth specifically is now being discussed at
>>>the dutch list, and i do hope we find a solution soon
>>>

>>Which Dutch list? This should be a public discussion.
>>
>>Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi Walter,
For the record I am not on the nl-mods list.

I do value your contributions. It is sad to me that from a great prolific
writer with a huge standing, you are now someone who is completely sidelined
and out of the picture.

Thanks,
    GerardM

On 1/1/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is very nice to see people discussing about a situation which they do
> not know off because they have never confronted it. This will lead to
> some rosy coloured decisions based on what is possible in the west. Not
> on what is possible in the rest of the world. Also Gerard you are not a
> mod and still on the nl-mods list! Which is a very strange situation.
> These kind of discussions involve all of the nl. community. Andre Engels
> who is not on that list is interested in that discussion as well. But he
> is not able to contribute. Is this the way we go on nl: ? The mods get
> to decide our future for us?
>
> And as you know I refuse to actively work on content. Only the bombings
> were an exception for me. But now if I have to go through so much
> trouble to do something, I am not a vandal remember, I might as well do
> nothing.
>
> Waerth
>
> >Hoi,
> >Well you know as well as I do that on the Dutch moderator mailing list
> often
> >discussions are held that do not really need to be confidential or
> limited
> >to the Dutch moderators. Then again by not having some discussions in the
> >open, often a lot less angry words are said. This in turn as you know and
> >agree helps to concentrate on what is most important.. the one thing you
> >sadly cannot be part of at the moment.. working on content.
> >Thanks,
> >     GerardM

> at
> >>>

> >>Which Dutch list? This should be a public discussion.
> >>
> >>Waerth

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
That is because I stay who I am and refuse to become a rose speckled
glasses person who talks very politically correct. It is the problem of
other people. Not mine. If people want me to someone I am not they can
wait untill the sun goes supernova.

My good ideas nor my prolific writing haven't changed. What has changed
is that I have become even more of a minority then I was. Imho wikimedia
is drowning in people wo are PC and without experience outside of the
western world. Which means that either nothing gets done, or decisions
are made like on en:wikipedia were they discriminate now.

Waerth

>Hoi Walter,
>For the record I am not on the nl-mods list.
>
>I do value your contributions. It is sad to me that from a great prolific
>writer with a huge standing, you are now someone who is completely sidelined
>and out of the picture.
>
>Thanks,
>    GerardM
>
>On 1/1/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>It is very nice to see people discussing about a situation which they do
>>not know off because they have never confronted it. This will lead to
>>some rosy coloured decisions based on what is possible in the west. Not
>>on what is possible in the rest of the world. Also Gerard you are not a
>>mod and still on the nl-mods list! Which is a very strange situation.
>>These kind of discussions involve all of the nl. community. Andre Engels
>>who is not on that list is interested in that discussion as well. But he
>>is not able to contribute. Is this the way we go on nl: ? The mods get
>>to decide our future for us?

Re: Illegal IP blocking on the Dutch wikipedia

oscar-11
On 1/1/07, Walter van Kalken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >ps the case of thailand and waerth specifically is now being discussed at
> >the dutch list, and i do hope we find a solution soon
> >

> Which Dutch list? This should be a public discussion.
>
> Waerth

no, it was not public, because deblocking you, which has been done
succesfully already some days ago by now, was done with information on the
ip's you use. this i consider to be private conforming to the policies.

best,
oscar