Image editor prototype

Mark Holmquist-2
Hi, all!

I'm writing to share a prototype image editor that our very own Prateek
(prtksxna) has been working on. We're hoping to write an extension
around this and provide it on-wiki as a replacement for several bots and
off-wiki tools. It's only an experiment, but honestly, our upload
pipeline lacks an editing tool, which is *so* 2003. I'm looking towards
getting this released on Commons, as a BetaFeature™, within the next few
months.

Feedback can be shared at the extension talk page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:ImageTweaks/UI
or on #wikimedia-multimedia or Freenode, or via private e-mail to myself
or Prateek, if you prefer.

The code is here: https://github.com/prtksxna/ImageEditor

You can try a demo here: http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/

And finally, there's a sneak peek at the API documentation here:
http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/docs/index.html

Thanks for your eyeballs and time!

--
Mark Holmquist
Lead Engineer, Multimedia

Re: Image editor prototype

Steinsplitter Wiki
Cool! Thanks you so much for sharing this here on the mailinglist!

--Steinsplitter

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:23:51 -0600
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Commons-l] Image editor prototype
>
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm writing to share a prototype image editor that our very own Prateek
> (prtksxna) has been working on. We're hoping to write an extension
> around this and provide it on-wiki as a replacement for several bots and
> off-wiki tools. It's only an experiment, but honestly, our upload
> pipeline lacks an editing tool, which is *so* 2003. I'm looking towards
> getting this released on Commons, as a BetaFeature™, within the next few
> months.
>
> Feedback can be shared at the extension talk page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:ImageTweaks/UI
> or on #wikimedia-multimedia or Freenode, or via private e-mail to myself
> or Prateek, if you prefer.
>
> The code is here: https://github.com/prtksxna/ImageEditor
>
> You can try a demo here: http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/
>
> And finally, there's a sneak peek at the API documentation here:
> http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/docs/index.html
>
> Thanks for your eyeballs and time!
>
> --
> Mark Holmquist
> Lead Engineer, Multimedia
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> http://marktraceur.info

Re: Image editor prototype

Alex Brollo
Could you perhaps think about managing djvu files too? It would be perhaps useful for wikisource projects. Better too: you acould too consider - for Internet Archive djvu files - to access to jp2 or jpg high-resolution images stored into jp2.zip files - here an example for a illustrated  Internet Archive book:

Usually images wrapped into djvu are very compressed, original jp2-jpg are much better.

Alex

Cool! Thanks you so much for sharing this here on the mailinglist!

--Steinsplitter

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:23:51 -0600
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Commons-l] Image editor prototype

> Hi, all!
>
> I'm writing to share a prototype image editor that our very own Prateek
> (prtksxna) has been working on. We're hoping to write an extension
> around this and provide it on-wiki as a replacement for several bots and
> off-wiki tools. It's only an experiment, but honestly, our upload
> pipeline lacks an editing tool, which is *so* 2003. I'm looking towards
> getting this released on Commons, as a BetaFeature™, within the next few
> months.
>
> Feedback can be shared at the extension talk page:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:ImageTweaks/UI
> or on #wikimedia-multimedia or Freenode, or via private e-mail to myself
> or Prateek, if you prefer.
>
> The code is here: https://github.com/prtksxna/ImageEditor
>
> You can try a demo here: http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/
>
> And finally, there's a sneak peek at the API documentation here:
> http://prtksxna.github.io/ImageEditor/docs/index.html
>
> Thanks for your eyeballs and time!
>
> --
> Mark Holmquist
> Lead Engineer, Multimedia
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> http://marktraceur.info

Re: Image editor prototype

James Forrester-4
On 18 December 2015 at 12:32, Alex Brollo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you perhaps think about managing djvu files too? It would be perhaps useful for wikisource projects.

​At the moment this work is very focussed ​on making derivative alterations to image files only. We're not working on, and it is not aimed at being, a "Photoshop in the sky" for altering broken images to be fixed with a replacement, but more to provide secondary versions (e.g. a portrait cropped out of a larger image, or an adjusted example of re-colouration.

In particular, non-image formats (like videos or audio files) and extended-image formats (like DjVu or animated images) are not something we're going to work on. A different tool for your purposes could be built, but I don't think this is going to be the right one for what I imagine Wikisourcerers would want.

J.
--
James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing

[hidden email] | @jdforrester

Re: Image editor prototype

Alex Brollo
Thanks james, I'll go on with usual local graphic tools.

Alex