Image files too big for the thumbnail program

Image files too big for the thumbnail program

Ron Laufer

I've had a couple images uploaded to my wiki that are so big, it seems they make my thumbnail program crash.  If you just display them on a wiki page as is, it's fine, but if you try to |thumb them, the page won't load and give a blank white screen.  Similarly, if you try to go to the image's page to upload a new version, you get the white page again (because of the automatic thumbnail created for each version of the image)
1) Is there any way to delete these files without going to their own page?
2) Is there a way to set a file upload size limit to avoid this in the future?
Thanks,

Ron

--

Ron Laufer

Re: Image files too big for the thumbnail program

Platonides
Ron Laufer wrote:
> I've had a couple images uploaded to my wiki that are so big, it seems they make my thumbnail program crash.  If you just display them on a wiki page as is, it's fine, but if you try to |thumb them, the page won't load and give a blank white screen.  Similarly, if you try to go to the image's page to upload a new version, you get the white page again (because of the automatic thumbnail created for each version of the image)
> 1) Is there any way to delete these files without going to their own page?
> 2) Is there a way to set a file upload size limit to avoid this in the future?
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Increase php memory limit.
Or use an external program to resize the images (eg. imagemagick). This
way, a thumbnail failure won't affect the php execution (blank page =
php error).
Instead of a pure file size limit you'd want to limit the image area.
Moreover, some images can be converted withouut having to store all of
them in memory (perhaps libgd doesn't give that option?).

Re: Image files too big for the thumbnail program

Jan Steinman
> From: Ron Laufer <[hidden email]>
>
> I've had a couple images uploaded to my wiki that are so big, it
> seems they make my thumbnail program crash.

Are you using ImageMagick?

We've had no problems using the biggest files a 12 megapixel camera
can produce.

----------------
An American is a person who demonstrates against a new power plant,
then goes home and flips on all the lights, turns up the air
conditioner, puts a tape in the stereo, opens the refrigerator door,
plugs in the coffee maker and sits down to see if the television
cameras caught him protesting. -- Wendell Trogdon

Suggestion: Meta tag for description for search engines

Eric K-2
70% of web traffic on any page of my wiki (I assume the same is true for most other wikis and sites) comes from a search engine. In search results, people see two things and use them to decide in a few seconds whether to click on the link or not:
1- page title
2- meta tag description (if defined) OR the first sentence of the page.

#1, the page title is fine in Mediawiki. It is: {{PAGENAME}} - "the wiki name".
#2 is not right. For example if we search "America", we see:
- "This article is about the United States of America. For other uses of terms redirecting here, see US (disambiguation), USA (disambiguation), ..."
Ideally this should be something that the editors put into the page like other article text.Let them handle the description such as "An article about the USA, its history, government and politics, culture, economy and other topics". This is better than the disamb. notice that comes up currently in search.

We can install an external extension to define meta description however this should be a built-in feature of Mediawiki where people should be able to use: <metadesc> for making sure our search engine results are what we want them to be.

Eric

Re: Suggestion: Meta tag for description for search engines

Platonides
Eric K wrote:

> 70% of web traffic on any page of my wiki (I assume the same is true for most other wikis and sites) comes from a search engine. In search results, people see two things and use them to decide in a few seconds whether to click on the link or not:
> 1- page title
> 2- meta tag description (if defined) OR the first sentence of the page.
>
> #1, the page title is fine in Mediawiki. It is: {{PAGENAME}} - "the wiki name".
> #2 is not right. For example if we search "America", we see:
> - "This article is about the United States of America. For other uses of terms redirecting here, see US (disambiguation), USA (disambiguation), ..."
> Ideally this should be something that the editors put into the page like other article text.Let them handle the description such as "An article about the USA, its history, government and politics, culture, economy and other topics". This is better than the disamb. notice that comes up currently in search.
>
> We can install an external extension to define meta description however this should be a built-in feature of Mediawiki where people should be able to use: <metadesc> for making sure our search engine results are what we want them to be.
>
> Eric

I'm not sure it's a good idea. This way  And it isn't that bad. You
search for America and see that it's about America, the United States of
America.

You could have a different disambiguation convention on your site.
I agree though that those texts shouldn't appear if you don't come via a
redirection.

For people wanting metas:
*http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Add_Metas
*http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Advanced_Meta