Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Keith Old
g'day folks,
Imagine if Wikipedia was printed.

http://www.fun.chanun.com/funny-stuff/imagine-if-wikipedia-got-printed

We'd need a lot of trees.

Regards

*Keith *

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Isabell Long
2009/9/12 Keith Old <[hidden email]>:
> g'day folks,
> Imagine if Wikipedia was printed.
>
> http://www.fun.chanun.com/funny-stuff/imagine-if-wikipedia-got-printed
>
> We'd need a lot of trees.

And, seeing the state of some articles, a lot of proof readers!

Isabell Long.  <[hidden email]>
[[User:Isabell121]] on all public Wikimedia projects.
Freenode Community Co-Ordinator - issyl0 on irc.freenode.net
PGP Key ID: 0xB6CA6840

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Joseph Reagle
On Saturday 12 September 2009, Keith Old wrote:
> http://www.fun.chanun.com/funny-stuff/imagine-if-wikipedia-got-printed

It'd be a lot bigger than that! That's not even the width of a basic multi-volume print encyclopedia.

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

David Gerard-2
2009/9/12 Joseph Reagle <[hidden email]>:
> On Saturday 12 September 2009, Keith Old wrote:

>> http://www.fun.chanun.com/funny-stuff/imagine-if-wikipedia-got-printed

> It'd be a lot bigger than that! That's not even the width of a basic multi-volume print encyclopedia.

yep - that's just the Featured Articles.

For the whole thing (ove A BILLION WORDS), see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_of_Wikipedia

That's 980 Britannica-sized volumes. Or about 15 sets of Britannica.

- d.

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Carcharoth
On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> That's 980 Britannica-sized volumes. Or about 15 sets of Britannica.

That's smaller than I thought. We obviously have a lot of very small articles.

Carcharoth

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Thomas Dalton
2009/9/12 Carcharoth <[hidden email]>:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> That's 980 Britannica-sized volumes. Or about 15 sets of Britannica.
>
> That's smaller than I thought. We obviously have a lot of very small articles.

We had a lot of very small articles in 2006, which is when we last got
statistics on the lengths of articles. That 990 volumes (did we write
another 10 between when David checked and when I did?) is based on
current article numbers, but 2006 article lengths. Hopefully we'll get
a full database dump soon and we'll get accurate length stats.

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Al Tally
I think this is an old recycled report. If I recall, it's of all the
featured articles, not every single article on the project.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

KillerChihuahua
Perhaps the image is intended to be the TOC or INDEX.
-kc-

>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> That's 980 Britannica-sized volumes. Or about 15 sets of Britannica.
>>
>> That's smaller than I thought. We obviously have a lot of very small
>> articles.
>
> We had a lot of very small articles in 2006, which is when we last got
> statistics on the lengths of articles. That 990 volumes (did we write
> another 10 between when David checked and when I did?) is based on
> current article numbers, but 2006 article lengths. Hopefully we'll get
> a full database dump soon and we'll get accurate length stats.

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Sage Ross
On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM, KillerChihuahua
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps the image is intended to be the TOC or INDEX.
> -kc-

Here's the original source for those images:
http://www.rob-matthews.com/index.php?/project/wikipedia/

According to the artist who created it, it's 5000 pages printed from
featured articles (only a small subset of which would fit).

-Sage

2009/9/13 Sage Ross <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM, KillerChihuahua
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps the image is intended to be the TOC or INDEX.
>> -kc-
>>

> Here's the original source for those images:
> http://www.rob-matthews.com/index.php?/project/wikipedia/
>
> According to the artist who created it, it's 5000 pages printed from
> featured articles (only a small subset of which would fit).

If you look closely at the front cover it says "The best of" at the bottom.

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

Fayssal F.
June 2009 news. The Rob Matthews's 5,000 pages 'book' contained no more than
437 FAs. We've got a total of 2,606 FAs.

According to the* Telegraph* one of Matthews (who is a 22 year-old graphic
design) goals is to sell it. In theory, he could sell all of Wikipedia
article space content... 3,031,886 would give him an astonishing 34,688,684
pages-long book!!!

http://www.labnol.org/internet/wikipedia-printed-book/9136/

Fayssal F.

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:54:26 +0100

> From: Al Tally <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Imagine if Wikipedia was printed
> To: English Wikipedia <[hidden email]>
>
> I think this is an old recycled report. If I recall, it's of all the
> featured articles, not every single article on the project.
>
> --
> Alex
> (User:Majorly)

Re: Imagine if Wikipedia was printed

WJhonson
In a message dated 9/12/2009 9:35:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> According to the* Telegraph* one of Matthews (who is a 22 year-old
> graphic
> design) goals is to sell it. In theory, he could sell all of Wikipedia
> article space content... 3,031,886 would give him an astonishing
> 34,688,684
> pages-long book!!!>>

Is this just counting the length of the text ?  Or does it also include
pictures ?

Will