Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Brianna Laugher
Hello,

It has been floated a few times that new users should have to go
through a copyright or licensing quiz before uploading material to the
Commons. If there was widespread community support to implement such a
thing, would the developers be willing to code such a quiz into either
Special:Createaccount or Special:Upload (for first time uploaders)?

The type of quiz I mean is here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Licensing_quiz

regards,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Magnus Manske-2
On 11/16/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It has been floated a few times that new users should have to go
> through a copyright or licensing quiz before uploading material to the
> Commons. If there was widespread community support to implement such a
> thing, would the developers be willing to code such a quiz into either
> Special:Createaccount or Special:Upload (for first time uploaders)?
>
> The type of quiz I mean is here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Licensing_quiz

Nice. And then what? Does a single wrong answer mean I can't upload to
the commons, ever? Or can I retry the question (in which case even
monkeys could pass it;-)?

If it's not a requirement but a "fun suggestion", it could go to an
external web site (toolserver!), which would avoid putting a quiz mode
into MediaWiki ;-)

OTOH, that could be a cool extension. Think determining something
based on a series on yes-no decisions - this is how you can identify
plants (using a book) or the car that matches you best (a German
newspaper does that every odd year or so). It could work with
specially prepared wiki pages. Oh, if I only had more time to code...

Magnus

On 16/11/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice. And then what? Does a single wrong answer mean I can't upload to
> the commons, ever? Or can I retry the question (in which case even
> monkeys could pass it;-)?

No, no. You retry the question. Of course monkeys can pass it. It is
just a basic "be aware of this fact before uploading" thing.
It's pretty obvious that displaying notices doesn't work. Even big red
warnings don't work. But a quiz is interactive and given how simple
the questions are, will almost certainly engage the user. In fact
thinking about this quiz will likely be a faster way to get through it
than donkey-voting. :)

> If it's not a requirement but a "fun suggestion", it could go to an
> external web site (toolserver!), which would avoid putting a quiz mode
> into MediaWiki ;-)

That would be fine, but then how would it be tied with the requirement
of completing the quiz before successfully registering/uploading? I
figured that would only be possible if it was actually integrated into
MediaWiki. If I'm wrong on that point, please correct me.

> OTOH, that could be a cool extension. Think determining something
> based on a series on yes-no decisions - this is how you can identify
> plants (using a book) or the car that matches you best (a German
> newspaper does that every odd year or so). It could work with
> specially prepared wiki pages. Oh, if I only had more time to code...

Yes, it would be a very cool extension, and I can see it being
extraordinarily useful for Wikibooks, for example. (well with multiple
choice, write-in answers would be nifty too)

There is this - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Quizzes - which is
kinda waiting to be turned into a proper extension, I think.

cheers,
Brianna

Re: Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Steve Bennett-8
On 11/16/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OTOH, that could be a cool extension. Think determining something
> based on a series on yes-no decisions - this is how you can identify
> plants (using a book) or the car that matches you best (a German
> newspaper does that every odd year or so). It could work with
> specially prepared wiki pages. Oh, if I only had more time to code...

You could easily implement this just as a series of pages with
multiple answers, with the right answer linking to the next page. Yes,
easily defeated, but so would any quiz be.

Example:

When will Mickey Mouse become public domain:
*[[Q1A|1995]]
*[[Q1B|2005]]
*[[Q1C|2015]]
*[[Q1D|Never]]

Q1A, Q1B and Q1C all redirect to some "no, that's incorrect, try
again". Q1D redirects to Q2.

Easy. No extension required. Just ask people not to publish the link
to the final upload page.

Steve

On 20/11/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/16/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > OTOH, that could be a cool extension. Think determining something
> > based on a series on yes-no decisions - this is how you can identify
> > plants (using a book) or the car that matches you best (a German
> > newspaper does that every odd year or so). It could work with
> > specially prepared wiki pages. Oh, if I only had more time to code...
>
> You could easily implement this just as a series of pages with
> multiple answers, with the right answer linking to the next page. Yes,
> easily defeated, but so would any quiz be.
>
> Example:
>
> When will Mickey Mouse become public domain:
> *[[Q1A|1995]]
> *[[Q1B|2005]]
> *[[Q1C|2015]]
> *[[Q1D|Never]]
>
> Q1A, Q1B and Q1C all redirect to some "no, that's incorrect, try
> again". Q1D redirects to Q2.
>
> Easy. No extension required. Just ask people not to publish the link
> to the final upload page.

I don't want to force (or even suggest for) everyone to go through the
quiz every single time they want to upload. I want to force all new
users [or all users... I don't really care] to go through the quiz
once before they start (or continue) uploading.
Is it possible to do this without modifying MediaWiki?

regards,
Brianna

Re: Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Simetrical
On 11/20/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't want to force (or even suggest for) everyone to go through the
> quiz every single time they want to upload. I want to force all new
> users [or all users... I don't really care] to go through the quiz
> once before they start (or continue) uploading.
> Is it possible to do this without modifying MediaWiki?

Well, you could use a large amount of JavaScript (which would of
course only stop those with JS enabled) . . . other than that, not
that I can think of.

Re: Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Michael Bimmler
On 11/20/06, Simetrical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/20/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't want to force (or even suggest for) everyone to go through the
> > quiz every single time they want to upload. I want to force all new
> > users [or all users... I don't really care] to go through the quiz
> > once before they start (or continue) uploading.
> > Is it possible to do this without modifying MediaWiki?
>
> Well, you could use a large amount of JavaScript (which would of
> course only stop those with JS enabled) . . . other than that, not
> that I can think of.
I have no (real) idea of the MW code, so it's maybe just a stupid idea, but:
Couldn't a user flag/group "quizpassed" be created (similar to "bot"
or "sysop") , which is automatically assigned to your user account
when you have once passed the quiz. Afterwards, when uploading,
MediaWiki would determine, whether you have this flag set on your
account or not (as it does for restricted pages as Special:Blockip)
and will thus determine, whether you have to do the quiz or not.
As said, no idea whether this is technically doable & reasonable in
terms of performance etc.

Michael

On 11/20/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have no (real) idea of the MW code, so it's maybe just a stupid idea, but:
> Couldn't a user flag/group "quizpassed" be created (similar to "bot"
> or "sysop") , which is automatically assigned to your user account
> when you have once passed the quiz. Afterwards, when uploading,
> MediaWiki would determine, whether you have this flag set on your
> account or not (as it does for restricted pages as Special:Blockip)
> and will thus determine, whether you have to do the quiz or not.
> As said, no idea whether this is technically doable & reasonable in
> terms of performance etc.

Brianna's question was whether it could be done "without modifying
MediaWiki".  It could certainly be done by modifying MediaWiki.  Your
approach could be used without modifying MediaWiki if you had a lot of
stewards happy to manually add and remove such a group, but you can't
do it automatically (except with a bot, ack).

Re: Implementing a licensing quiz on Commons

Steve Bennett-8
On 11/20/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't want to force (or even suggest for) everyone to go through the
> quiz every single time they want to upload. I want to force all new
> users [or all users... I don't really care] to go through the quiz
> once before they start (or continue) uploading.
> Is it possible to do this without modifying MediaWiki?

The no-brainer solution in my approach is for the user to bookmark the
actual upload page (that is, the page pointed to by the final correct
answer), and to use that in future. You could probably come up with
much smarter solutions.

Steve