Import Dump Order

Plamen Gradinarov
Hello,

Several times tried to import the last dump in this order

bg_brokenlinks_table.sql.gz
bg_categorylinks_table.sql.gz
bg_page_table.sql.gz
bg_pagelinks_table.sql.gz
pages_articles.xml.bz2

with no succsess. When accessing any page, the title is there, but the page says the content must have been removed.

Next move - empty the page table and importing again the pages_articles.xml.bz2
Articles pop up, page links work, but the categories are total mess, subcategories and articles are listed without whatsoever relevance to their parent category.

Third move - empty pagelinks table and start visiting the inactive categories and saving them. Articles get properly listed.

Using a fresh install of wikimedia 1.5.5
Tried other languages, the same result even with en_ (the only difference being that the dumps took two days to import).

Any suggestions where might be the problem?
Should I also import the now defunct links table? (bg_links_table.sql.gz 2005-Jun-23 17:54:58)

Thank you

PS. First time sent this from other account, please excuse me for having to moderate/delete that first letter.

Re: Import Dump Order

Brion Vibber
[snip]

If you're trying to use both the page dumps and the SQL table dumps, use
mwdumper to import, *not* MediaWiki's importDump.php.

importDump.php does not preserve page ID numbers; it's meant to bring data into
an existing wiki.

mwdumper does preserve page ID numbers; it's meant to relatively quickly import
the data dumps in exactly the state they were left.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Import Dump Order

Plamen Gradinarov
Thank you. Does it mean that the importDump.php is totally useless?

And where do I place (or how to install) the mwdumper.jar?

Re: Import Dump Order

Brion Vibber
Plamen Gradinarov wrote:
> Thank you. Does it mean that the importDump.php is totally useless?

No. As I said, "it's meant to bring data into an existing wiki" and I've used it
on numerous occasions to transfer data from one wiki to another.

> And where do I place (or how to install) the mwdumper.jar?

Whereever you like. See the README with it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Import Dump Order

Plamen Gradinarov
First time it didn't work because there was no java installed on the server. Installed 1.4.2-ibm and worked like a sharm (no -server option available). At least 10 faster than with bzip2.

Many thanks, Brion!