Import mySQL data into SMW

Jean-Baptiste Pressac
Hello,
I have a mySQL database wich stores data about writters from Bretagne
(France). The database has tables like "Person" with biographical
informations (first name, last name, date and place of birth, idem for
death ...), "Book", "Wrote_Book" (which links Person with Book), etc. Is
there a way to import this data into SMW ? i.e. creating wiki pages for
each person and book, and store informations about them in triplets
(Jean foaf:name Jean, Jean gnd:dateOfBirth "1815/07/07"^^dcterms:W3CDTF,
Jean foaf:gender "homme"@fr ...).

Does anyone has an experience with this kind of operation ?

Jean-Baptiste Pressac
Traitement et analyse de bases de données
Centre de Recherche Bretonne et Celtique
UMS 3554
20 rue Duquesne
CS 93837
29238 Brest cedex 3

tel : +33 (0)2 98 01 68 95
fax : +33 (0)2 98 01 63 93

Antwort: Import mySQL data into SMW

martin.gruner
Hi Jean!

I can recommend Extension:DataTransfer[1]. Export your mySQL into CSV.
Edit your file with your preferred tool (like discribed in the docu) and
then start an import via Special:ImportCSV.
Bye, Martin

[1]: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Data_Transfer
__________________________________

Von:
Jean-Baptiste Pressac <[hidden email]>
An:
[hidden email],
Datum:
07.05.2014 16:42
Betreff:
[Semediawiki-user] Import mySQL data into SMW

[...]

Re: Import mySQL data into SMW

planetenxin
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

this kind of operation is very common in enterprise environments. We
have good experience with an ETL-Tool (Extract Transform Load) talking
with the MediaWiki API to create the pages (templates to do the semantic
annotation).

This gives you:
- 100% automated, repeatable process
- ability to transform the data if required (e.g. date formatting)
- lookup additional data from other sources
- include some data quality checks (e.g. missing data)
- reporting

Cons:
- needs some IT skills to setup the ETL chain.

We have good experience with Pentaho Kettle, which is the leading ETL
Open Source.

Best regards,
Alexander Gesinn

--
Alexander Gesinn
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter/

Telefon: +49 9435 65218-11
E-Mail: [hidden email]

gesinn.it GmbH & Co. KG
Sitz: Am Koweiher 8f, 92521 Schwarzenfeld
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Amberg, HRA 3263

Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin:

gesinn.it Verwaltungs GmbH
Sitz: Am Koweiher 8f, 92521 Schwarzenfeld
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Amberg, HRB 5168
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Gesinn

Am 07.05.2014 16:40, schrieb Jean-Baptiste Pressac:

> Hello,
> I have a mySQL database wich stores data about writters from Bretagne
> (France). The database has tables like "Person" with biographical
> informations (first name, last name, date and place of birth, idem for
> death ...), "Book", "Wrote_Book" (which links Person with Book), etc. Is
> there a way to import this data into SMW ? i.e. creating wiki pages for
> each person and book, and store informations about them in triplets
> (Jean foaf:name Jean, Jean gnd:dateOfBirth "1815/07/07"^^dcterms:W3CDTF,
> Jean foaf:gender "homme"@fr ...).
>
> Does anyone has an experience with this kind of operation ?
>
> Thanks,

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: Import mySQL data into SMW

wikiocity
I generated xml import pages, and used Mediawiki's built in importDump.php.  You can leave most everything out of the xml, except for a user and a date.  Not saying this is the easiest or best way, but it worked for me.  Was really slow at 15.5 pages a second running 5 separate instances, so took weeks, but it got everything  in.

I'll have to check into these other methods for future updates and changes.

Re: Import mySQL data into SMW

James HK

If you choose to go with the standard XML (dump) import approach that
is provided by MW then from a SMW point of view there should be no
issue due to the fact that tests [0] make use of the same interface to
import some XML data [1].

[0] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/tree/master/tests/phpunit/Regression

[1] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/tree/master/tests/phpunit/Regression/data

Cheers