Important update: Flagged Revisions extension on dewiki

Important update: Flagged Revisions extension on dewiki

Daniel Herding
Hallo all,

as you might know, the Flagged Revisions extension has recently been enabled
on the German Wikipedia. A minor change to the PyWikipediaBot was required so
that bots work properly with that extension. I have done this change and
committed it to SVN as revision 5330. [1]

If you run a bot that edits pages on de: (e. g. an interwiki bot), this update
is mandatory. Please update immediately, otherwise your bot might be in
danger of getting blocked because it increases the workload for users who are
reviewing articles.

If you are unable to update via SVN, please stop your bot and wait until
revision 5330 or higher is available on
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~valhallasw/pywiki/ .

Thank you

Daniel

[1] diff:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/pywikipedia/trunk/pywikipedia/wikipedia.py?r1=5324&r2=5330

Re: Important update: Flagged Revisions extension on dewiki

Mark Wagner-2
On 5/7/08, Daniel Herding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hallo all,
>
>  as you might know, the Flagged Revisions extension has recently been enabled
>  on the German Wikipedia. A minor change to the PyWikipediaBot was required so
>  that bots work properly with that extension. I have done this change and
>  committed it to SVN as revision 5330. [1]

For those of us who aren't using PyWikipediaBot and who aren't
familiar with the structure of its code, what is the nature of the
change?

--
Mark
[[en:User:Carnildo]]

Am Donnerstag 08 Mai 2008 schrieb Mark Wagner:
> On 5/7/08, Daniel Herding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >  as you might know, the Flagged Revisions extension has recently been
> > enabled on the German Wikipedia. A minor change to the PyWikipediaBot was
> > required so that bots work properly with that extension. I have done this
> > change and committed it to SVN as revision 5330.
>
> For those of us who aren't using PyWikipediaBot and who aren't
> familiar with the structure of its code, what is the nature of the
> change?

In the HTML of the edit page, there is a new hidden form element, called
baseRevId, for example:

<input name="baseRevId" type="hidden" value="45774514" />

You can also retrieve this revision ID from the XML that is returned by
[[Special:Export]].

When you post a page, you should include this revision ID in your POST
request.

When your bot account has a bot flag or an editor flag ("Sichter-Flag" in
German), or both, and it edits a page which has been recently reviewed, the
resulting page will then automatically be marked as reviewed as well. This
makes life easier for people who patrol recent changes etc., as they don't
have to review bot changes.

Cheers

Daniel

Re: Important update: Flagged Revisions extension on dewiki

Daniel Herding
Hallo all,

there is another important update for PyWikipediaBot, related to the one
described in my last mail. There was a bug in the XML reader of
PyWikipediaBot, other bot softwares are not affected.

The problem was that indentation whitespace was not properly ignored in the
XML reader. On the German Wikipedia, the bot therefore didn't
send "baseRevId=123456", but "baseRevId=123456\n        ".

The current version of the Flagged Revs extension seems to be more strict than
before, so the superfluous whitespace is now a problem, as auto-reviewing no
longer works. I have just fixed that bug.

If you're running a bot that does changes on dewiki, please update to revision
5387 via SVN. An up-to-date nightly build will be available at about 20:00 UTC
at http://tools.wikimedia.de/~valhallasw/pywiki/ .

Cheers

Daniel