Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Forrest Aldrich
I've seen a few products (mostly commercial) out there that do this;
however, it seems reasonable that such a functionality might be useful here.

Too often I run across really good articles on web pages that get
bookmarked, only later the actual site disappears.  In this case,
wouldn't it be "nice" to be able to import that page (and its elements)
for private use into MediaWiki, with full search capability.

Would be a great reference point.

Anyone thought of this?

_F

Re: Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Ittay Dror-rm
check spurl

ittay

Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I've seen a few products (mostly commercial) out there that do this;
> however, it seems reasonable that such a functionality might be useful here.
>
> Too often I run across really good articles on web pages that get
> bookmarked, only later the actual site disappears.  In this case,
> wouldn't it be "nice" to be able to import that page (and its elements)
> for private use into MediaWiki, with full search capability.
>
> Would be a great reference point.
>
> Anyone thought of this?
>

> _F

===================================
Ittay Dror,
Chief architect, openQRM group leader,
R&D, Qlusters Inc.
[hidden email]
+972-3-6081994 Fax: +972-3-6081841

www.openqrm.org - Data Center Provisioning

Re: Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Jan-62
Ittay Dror schrieb:
> check spurl

And dont forget to check the copyright-license of the websites you want to copy.

Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Forrest Aldrich
I'm not familiar with "spurl" - I did Google around, and didn't find
anything specific.

What/where is it?

_F

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 12/30/06, Forrest Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not familiar with "spurl" - I did Google around, and didn't find
> anything specific.
>
> What/where is it?

spurl.net ?

Re: Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Forrest Aldrich
SPURL is a bookmark service.  I have something like that already.

What I mentioned was a way to actually download (copy) a web page, in
its entirety (graphics etc) and in turn *store* that locally in a
MediaWiki for archival/perusal.

There are programs out there that do this independently, like MyBASE,
etc.  I just think a MediaWiki import would be more useful...

_F

Re: Importing (archiving) web pages into MediaWiki?

Rob Church
On 30/12/06, Forrest Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I mentioned was a way to actually download (copy) a web page, in
> its entirety (graphics etc) and in turn *store* that locally in a
> MediaWiki for archival/perusal.

It might be a nice little extension...

Rob Church