Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

Andre Klapper-2
Hi everybody,

https://www.mediawiki.org has a new frontpage!

Thank you to everyone who provided great feedback and comments on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018 and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
in the last weeks! Several improvements have been implemented before going live.

For a list of potential future work on problems with related pages, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018#Potential_follow-up_work

Enjoy!
andre

(This email is a follow-up to the previous three announcements:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-September/090886.html
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-December/091213.html
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091814.html )
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
Nice work! Certainly cleaner/more modern than the previous iteration.

Just as a minor suggestion (I am by no means a designer) - could the text
at the top of the page be changed to fill that space a bit, and be slightly
more readable? Maybe slightly bigger font size? Not sure how it'd look,
I've not mocked it up yet.

-- Lewis Cawte

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 at 14:21, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org has a new frontpage!
>
> Thank you to everyone who provided great feedback and comments on
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018
> and
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
> in the last weeks! Several improvements have been implemented before going
> live.
>
> For a list of potential future work on problems with related pages, see
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018#Potential_follow-up_work
>
> Enjoy!
> andre
>
> (This email is a follow-up to the previous three announcements:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-September/090886.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-December/091213.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091814.html )
> --
> Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

Isarra Yos
It looks good in Modern.

On 13/04/2019 13:17, Andre Klapper wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org has a new frontpage!
>
> Thank you to everyone who provided great feedback and comments on
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018 and
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
> in the last weeks! Several improvements have been implemented before going live.
>
> For a list of potential future work on problems with related pages, see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018#Potential_follow-up_work
>
> Enjoy!
> andre
>
> (This email is a follow-up to the previous three announcements:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-September/090886.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-December/091213.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091814.html )

Re: Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

RhinosF1 Wikipedia
Looks so much cleaner and modern, well done!

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 at 14:21, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org has a new frontpage!
>
> Thank you to everyone who provided great feedback and comments on
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018
> and
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018/Proposal
> in the last weeks! Several improvements have been implemented before going
> live.
>
> For a list of potential future work on problems with related pages, see
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/Homepage_improvements_2018#Potential_follow-up_work
>
> Enjoy!
> andre
>
> (This email is a follow-up to the previous three announcements:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-September/090886.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-December/091213.html
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091814.html )
> --
> Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Improving the mediawiki.org frontpage: It's available!

Johan Jönsson-2
Thank you, Andre. It's so much better now.

//Johan Jönsson

On Sat, 2019-04-13 at 14:43 +0100, Lewis Cawte via Wikitech-l wrote:
> Nice work! Certainly cleaner/more modern than the previous iteration.

Thanks!

> Just as a minor suggestion (I am by no means a designer) - could the text
> at the top of the page be changed to fill that space a bit, and be slightly
> more readable? Maybe slightly bigger font size? Not sure how it'd look,
> I've not mocked it up yet.

I'm not a designer either. :)
The exact size of 'unused' space depends on the skin and screen width.
In general, the larger the width the more 'unused' space, indeed.

Is there data which widths are common when visiting mediawiki.org in
desktop mode? If there are CSS tweaks to adjust font size depending on
width, please feel free to experiment with it!

Thanks,
andre