In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

David Gerard-2
Seed of story:
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116

What happened next:
http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52175.html
http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52385.html

Story at BoingBoing:
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/22/u_florida_cops_ask_f.html

What's the proper gamer term for when you mount a fiendishly clever
attack on someone and get handed your arse, on a plate, with garnish?

- d.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Garion1000

> Seed of story:
> http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116
>
> What happened next:
> http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52175.html
> http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52385.html
>
> Story at BoingBoing:
> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/22/u_florida_cops_ask_f.html
>
> What's the proper gamer term for when you mount a fiendishly clever
> attack on someone and get handed your arse, on a plate, with garnish?

Unfuckingbelievable pretty much sums this up.

Garion

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Kirill Lokshin
On 5/23/06, Garion1000 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/23/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Seed of story:
> > http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116
> >
> > What happened next:
> > http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52175.html
> > http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52385.html
> >
> > Story at BoingBoing:
> > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/22/u_florida_cops_ask_f.html
> >
> > What's the proper gamer term for when you mount a fiendishly clever
> > attack on someone and get handed your arse, on a plate, with garnish?
>

> Unfuckingbelievable pretty much sums this up.

Indeed.  This should serve as a good object lesson to anybody who
tries to bring up the whole "Wikipedia Review is a legitimate
criticism site" business again.

--
Kirill Lokshin

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Stephen Bain
On 5/23/06, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed.  This should serve as a good object lesson to anybody who
> tries to bring up the whole "Wikipedia Review is a legitimate
> criticism site" business again.

I joined in about November last year, and it took me about ten minutes
to disprove that theory.

Of course I stayed around for a while because of the guilty pleasure
of baiting the trolls.

--
Stephen Bain

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Tony Sidaway-3

> Seed of story:
> http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116
>
> What happened next:
> http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52175.html
> http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52385.html
>
> Story at BoingBoing:
> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/22/u_florida_cops_ask_f.html
>
> What's the proper gamer term for when you mount a fiendishly clever
> attack on someone and get handed your arse, on a plate, with garnish?

Sure, but this was bad for Phil.

Let us be under no illusion.  Trolls must be given no quarter.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tony Sidaway
>
> On 5/23/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Seed of story: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116
> >
> > What happened next: http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52175.html
> > http://pulpdecameron.livejournal.com/52385.html
> >
> > Story at BoingBoing:
> > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/22/u_florida_cops_ask_f.html
> >
> > What's the proper gamer term for when you mount a fiendishly clever
> > attack on someone and get handed your arse, on a plate,
> with garnish?
>
> Sure, but this was bad for Phil.

Yeah, that was my impression. I'd say WR is one up on this one. Can't say
that I'll lose any sleep over Snowspinner being grilled by the cops, though.
Look at his behaviour to other editors suspected of wikicrimes.

Pete, bastion of truth and justice

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Theresa Knott
On 5/23/06, Peter Mackay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Sure, but this was bad for Phil.
>
> Yeah, that was my impression. I'd say WR is one up on this one.

No WR look like complete twats over this.

Theresa

Can't say
> that I'll lose any sleep over Snowspinner being grilled by the cops, though.
> Look at his behaviour to other editors suspected of wikicrimes.

Let's see he blocks them from editing a website?

Theresa

> Pete, bastion of truth and justice

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Theresa Knott

> On 5/23/06, Peter Mackay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Sure, but this was bad for Phil.
> >
> > Yeah, that was my impression. I'd say WR is one up on this one.
>
> No WR look like complete twats over this.

WR isn't as homongenous as all that. Some of them are wacko to begin with.

Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR didn't. If you
judge real life by whoever thinks up the coolest reply after thinking about
it for a while, then you spend too much time in front of your computer.

Personally, I can take any amount of clever dick criticism coming over email
or the web, but get a couple of policefolk sitting down at my kitchen table
and hamfistedly investigating my life, and it's no longer fun.

> Can't say
> > that I'll lose any sleep over Snowspinner being grilled by
> the cops,
> > though. Look at his behaviour to other editors suspected of
> > wikicrimes.
>
> Let's see he blocks them from editing a website?

That, too.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Theresa Knott
> > No WR look like complete twats over this.
>
> WR isn't as homongenous as all that. Some of them are wacko to begin with.

That's true.

> Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR didn't.

That's also true, if the press picks up on this story though, who
knows. Phil could do very well out of this.

> Personally, I can take any amount of clever dick criticism coming over email
> or the web, but get a couple of policefolk sitting down at my kitchen table
> and hamfistedly investigating my life, and it's no longer fun.

Short lived though. Uncormfotable while they are there, certainly but
warm and fuzzy when you get the support of your univesity professors.

> > Can't say
> > > that I'll lose any sleep over Snowspinner being grilled by
> > the cops,
> > > though. Look at his behaviour to other editors suspected of
> > > wikicrimes.
> >
> > Let's see he blocks them from editing a website?
>
> That, too.

Has he ever accused them of being murderers to thier universities?

Theresa

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Kat Walsh
On 5/23/06, Peter Mackay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR didn't. If you
> judge real life by whoever thinks up the coolest reply after thinking about
> it for a while, then you spend too much time in front of your computer.
>
> Personally, I can take any amount of clever dick criticism coming over email
> or the web, but get a couple of policefolk sitting down at my kitchen table
> and hamfistedly investigating my life, and it's no longer fun.

Indeed, the grilled by the cops thing, not good, and you'd have a
point if it ended there.

But for an English/media studies grad student and a writer, getting
yourself and your work featured in the media as an example of that
sort of ridiculous situation... not bad for exposure, no?

I think Phil wins this one.

-Kat

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage  |  G/AIM:LucidWaking
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net | email for phone

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Kat Walsh
>
> On 5/23/06, Peter Mackay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR
> didn't. If
> > you judge real life by whoever thinks up the coolest reply after
> > thinking about it for a while, then you spend too much time
> in front
> > of your computer.
> >
> > Personally, I can take any amount of clever dick criticism
> coming over
> > email or the web, but get a couple of policefolk sitting down at my
> > kitchen table and hamfistedly investigating my life, and it's no
> > longer fun.
>
> Indeed, the grilled by the cops thing, not good, and you'd
> have a point if it ended there.
>
> But for an English/media studies grad student and a writer,
> getting yourself and your work featured in the media as an
> example of that sort of ridiculous situation... not bad for
> exposure, no?
>
> I think Phil wins this one.

I don't. The person who thinks there's no such thing as bad publicity hasn't
been around long enough. IMHO the average reader will see Snowspinner as
foolish to post such stuff on the interweb and the police just doing their
job. This is the way that news reports on police-investigated internet
fiction go, because that's a better story then the other way round. Everyone
likes to see an egghead brought down, especially in Florida.

.

> I don't. The person who thinks there's no such thing as bad publicity hasn't
> been around long enough. IMHO the average reader will see Snowspinner as
> foolish to post such stuff on the interweb and the police just doing their
> job.

I doubt that.

>This is the way that news reports on police-investigated internet
> fiction go, because that's a better story then the other way round. Everyone
> likes to see an egghead brought down, especially in Florida.

Not in England they don't.  We take civil liberties surprisingly
seriously here. I strongly suspect America is the same. Anyway we'll
have to wait and see. Eitherway the folks at WP have been made to look
petty, vindicitive and stupid.

Theresa

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Theresa Knott
> >This is the way that news reports on police-investigated internet
> >fiction go, because that's a better story then the other way round.
> >Everyone  likes to see an egghead brought down, especially
> in Florida.
>
> Not in England they don't.  We take civil liberties
> surprisingly seriously here. I strongly suspect America is
> the same. Anyway we'll have to wait and see. Eitherway the
> folks at WP have been made to look petty, vindicitive and stupid.

Glad to see such refreshing honesty from you.

As Snowspinner said with a straight face: "I was going after just the idea
that people who want power are exactly the sort of people you don't want to
have it."
http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/LOCAL/2052303
26/1078/news

Pete

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Theresa Knott
> > Not in England they don't.  We take civil liberties
> > surprisingly seriously here. I strongly suspect America is
> > the same. Anyway we'll have to wait and see. Eitherway the
> > folks at WP have been made to look petty, vindicitive and stupid.
>
> Glad to see such refreshing honesty from you.

LOL My dislexia strikes again. (That should read WR not WP)

Theresa

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Theresa Knott

> > > ...Eitherway the folks at WP have been made to
> > > look petty, vindicitive and stupid.
> >
> > Glad to see such refreshing honesty from you.
>
> LOL My dislexia strikes again. (That should read WR not WP)

Yeah. It's one Freudian slip after amother here.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Jimmy Wales
If whoever is set as moderator on this list would like to kick this
banned user off for trolling, you have my full support.

Peter Mackay wrote:

>> From: [hidden email]
>> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Theresa Knott

>>> Yeah, that was my impression. I'd say WR is one up on this one.
>> No WR look like complete twats over this.
>
> WR isn't as homongenous as all that. Some of them are wacko to begin with.
>
> Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR didn't. If you
> judge real life by whoever thinks up the coolest reply after thinking about
> it for a while, then you spend too much time in front of your computer.
>
> Personally, I can take any amount of clever dick criticism coming over email
> or the web, but get a couple of policefolk sitting down at my kitchen table
> and hamfistedly investigating my life, and it's no longer fun.
>
>> Can't say
>>> that I'll lose any sleep over Snowspinner being grilled by
>> the cops,
>>> though. Look at his behaviour to other editors suspected of
>>> wikicrimes.
>> Let's see he blocks them from editing a website?
>
> That, too.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Tony Sidaway-3
On 5/23/06, Peter Mackay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nevertheless, Snowspinner got harassed by the fuzz and WR didn't.

That is precisely *why* the Wikipedia Review trolls come out of this
looking very bad.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Philip Sandifer-2
By Jimbo's request, Skyring has departed this mailing list.

Best,
Phil Sandifer
[hidden email]      AIM: Snowspinner

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a
boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day David,

> Seed of story:
> http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=1116

Funny that fiction about stalking someone raises alarm bells on WR,
given that they welcome amorrow and similar editors.

I suspect Snowspinner could collect a lot of valuable advice on what
it's like to be a creepy psychopath from some of WR's more respected
contributors.  Think about it, Phil --- the story ideas some of these
people could give you!

<snip/>

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"

Re: In which Snowspinner pwns WR.

Ray Saintonge
Phil Sandifer wrote:

>Best,
>Phil Sandifer
>[hidden email]      AIM: Snowspinner
>
>You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a
>boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

As a token of appreciation for the publicity they have provided I would
suggest that you ask a local doughnut shop to send those police a dozen
of their finest with a thank you card signed Mack Sennett.  The actual
sending should be done directly by the shop to avoid having your
fingerprints and DNA on the evidence. :-)

Ec