Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

Hari Prasad Nadig-2
The India map on several Wiki projects have the borders depicted
wrongly. The disputed areas between neighbouring nations seem to have
been ripped off from the map.

One such instance is this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bangalore_in_India.png

We ought to make sure that the usage of such incorrect maps are
discouraged. Anyone interested to volunteer in getting the maps
corrected all over?

  - Hari Prasad


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

Anirudh S. Bhati
I recall Nichalp and Fowler discussing the issue.

On 12/23/07, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
The India map on several Wiki projects have the borders depicted
wrongly. The disputed areas between neighbouring nations seem to have
been ripped off from the map.

One such instance is this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bangalore_in_India.png

We ought to make sure that the usage of such incorrect maps are
discouraged. Anyone interested to volunteer in getting the maps
corrected all over?

- Hari Prasad


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

Nicholas-38
Problems with specific maps should be raised with the author, not here. We do have excellent NPOV SVG maps to use, these ones should be put up for deletion. Authors who draw such maps should be made aware that their maps are POV and contrary to the wiki spirit.

Regards,
--Nicholas


On Dec 24, 2007 12:25 PM, Anirudh <[hidden email]> wrote:
I recall Nichalp and Fowler discussing the issue.


On 12/23/07, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
The India map on several Wiki projects have the borders depicted
wrongly. The disputed areas between neighbouring nations seem to have
been ripped off from the map.

One such instance is this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bangalore_in_India.png

We ought to make sure that the usage of such incorrect maps are
discouraged. Anyone interested to volunteer in getting the maps
corrected all over?

- Hari Prasad


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

Hari Prasad Nadig

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 11:08 +0530, Nicholas wrote:
> Problems with specific maps should be raised with the author, not here.

Nobody has raised any issue *here*. Please read the emails completely
before responding.

>  We do have excellent NPOV SVG maps to use, these ones should be put up for deletion.
> Authors who draw such maps should be made aware that their maps are POV and contrary to the wiki spirit.

Yes, and we need volunteers active on English Wiki who could take this
up.

Cheers,

   - Hari Prasad



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inaccurate India maps on Wikis

Nicholas-38
I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding, but what I wanted to state was that wiki-specific issues should be best left on wikipedia, rather than through a mailing list whose objectives are different.

Regards,
--Nicholas


On Dec 29, 2007 12:28 PM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 11:08 +0530, Nicholas wrote:
> Problems with specific maps should be raised with the author, not here.

Nobody has raised any issue *here*. Please read the emails completely
before responding.

>  We do have excellent NPOV SVG maps to use, these ones should be put up for deletion.
> Authors who draw such maps should be made aware that their maps are POV and contrary to the wiki spirit.

Yes, and we need volunteers active on English Wiki who could take this
up.

Cheers,

  - Hari Prasad



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l