India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
58 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  

Having said that, there is quite a bit of overlap on these topics - so feel free to join both.  The more the merrier! Please do also invite anyone who is interested to know more about India Program or - even more importantly - interact with fellow Wikimedians interested in a particular activity to join in.  (It's quite a lot of of fun {citation required} - and i've heard a rumour {citation required} that there was actually a romance that started on one of the IRCs...)

As always, the logs will be put up on meta for the benefit of those who can't attend and for the record.

I'll send a reminder on the day of the session and one 30 minutes before the session.

Thanks

hisham


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
hi,

I hope some of the IRC-veterans can pitch in here. 

Not everyone is comfortable with IRC. I think these sessions will be more helpful for all involved if we had a statement put up on a wiki or on the mailing list by individuals who want to make these statements and then have a round of questions around the topics (as an example: community and outreach) which were meant to be discussed at the meeting.

Then, perhaps throw the floor open for general questions that members of the community want to raise. I think this will make it interactive and not be percieved as a narrative or a one-sided discussion. These may not have been intentional and should have been raised earlier.

I hope the Office continues this practice and tries to improve its effectiveness as they move forward.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

On 15 March 2012 20:45, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Vickram Crishna-2
Just to chime in with some observations (empirical, possibly OT) about means of communication. IRC is one of those elegant solutions that just aren't everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes because they haven't tried. Actually, it is the nearest thing to a physical meeting, with the same rules of conduct. It requires only a minimal bandwidth connection, and (afaik) has no limitation of people participating. 

In this sense it competes headon with Hangout and so on, but, because it has somewhat of an 'insider' perspective (entirely unearned) not many people feel that comfortable using it. It is text only, and nobody cares if you type slowly or badly. It is not useful for file transfers and so on, so one cannot 'show' how something works or should work, or what the problem is. This is usually not the purpose to which it is put, either. 

The only prerequisite is that you should have something (hopefully relevant) to say. The person choosing (or chosen) to summarise the meeting can do as Pradeep suggested, and do so on an open wikipage which can then be used to discuss wider, including those people who could not attend, but feel they have not conceded the right or duty to contribute by not doing so (maybe their mother-in-law was visiting, or something equally critical).

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

I hope some of the IRC-veterans can pitch in here. 

Not everyone is comfortable with IRC. I think these sessions will be more helpful for all involved if we had a statement put up on a wiki or on the mailing list by individuals who want to make these statements and then have a round of questions around the topics (as an example: community and outreach) which were meant to be discussed at the meeting.

Then, perhaps throw the floor open for general questions that members of the community want to raise. I think this will make it interactive and not be percieved as a narrative or a one-sided discussion. These may not have been intentional and should have been raised earlier.

I hope the Office continues this practice and tries to improve its effectiveness as they move forward.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

On 15 March 2012 20:45, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
hi,

I agree, Vickram. The more we use it the more we'll learn. My intention of stating our discomfort with IRC was that the meeting on it becomes more complicated if many people are not used to the platform. It then becomes the question of both following a discussion and understanding and learning about IRC. That would involve learning about too many things at the same time.

Pradeep

On 16 March 2012 10:04, Vickram Crishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to chime in with some observations (empirical, possibly OT) about means of communication. IRC is one of those elegant solutions that just aren't everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes because they haven't tried. Actually, it is the nearest thing to a physical meeting, with the same rules of conduct. It requires only a minimal bandwidth connection, and (afaik) has no limitation of people participating. 

In this sense it competes headon with Hangout and so on, but, because it has somewhat of an 'insider' perspective (entirely unearned) not many people feel that comfortable using it. It is text only, and nobody cares if you type slowly or badly. It is not useful for file transfers and so on, so one cannot 'show' how something works or should work, or what the problem is. This is usually not the purpose to which it is put, either. 

The only prerequisite is that you should have something (hopefully relevant) to say. The person choosing (or chosen) to summarise the meeting can do as Pradeep suggested, and do so on an open wikipage which can then be used to discuss wider, including those people who could not attend, but feel they have not conceded the right or duty to contribute by not doing so (maybe their mother-in-law was visiting, or something equally critical).


On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

I hope some of the IRC-veterans can pitch in here. 

Not everyone is comfortable with IRC. I think these sessions will be more helpful for all involved if we had a statement put up on a wiki or on the mailing list by individuals who want to make these statements and then have a round of questions around the topics (as an example: community and outreach) which were meant to be discussed at the meeting.

Then, perhaps throw the floor open for general questions that members of the community want to raise. I think this will make it interactive and not be percieved as a narrative or a one-sided discussion. These may not have been intentional and should have been raised earlier.

I hope the Office continues this practice and tries to improve its effectiveness as they move forward.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

On 15 March 2012 20:45, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Pradeep, while I haven't used Google Hangout, or done videocalls with
Skype, I'd just like to state that, IRC is nothing but a text chat.
Like using an Instant Messenger. True, sharing files isn't easy, but
you could use a workaround. I'm now tempted to attempt a Virtual
Workshop over IRC.

--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas

To clarify: I have nothing against IRC. Just the way it was conducted on IRC. Please share best practices on how to do an IRC chat well!

User:prad2609
Handheld

On Mar 16, 2012 5:00 PM, "Srikanth Ramakrishnan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pradeep, while I haven't used Google Hangout, or done videocalls with
Skype, I'd just like to state that, IRC is nothing but a text chat.
Like using an Instant Messenger. True, sharing files isn't easy, but
you could use a workaround. I'm now tempted to attempt a Virtual
Workshop over IRC.

--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Pradeep Mohandas
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> To clarify: I have nothing against IRC. Just the way it was conducted on
> IRC. Please share best practices on how to do an IRC chat well!

Some of the projects use <http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot> to help
stick to the agenda as well as ensure notes being taken for the
meeting. <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_communicate_using_IRC>
is a simple set of guidelines that the Fedora project uses (I'm sure
that other projects have their specific 'good things to do' list as
well) and, <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/MeetingGuidelines>
is for a specific group within the Fedora project.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Pradeep, do remember it's a multiway chat system. If you feel it is
one sided, all you need to do is ask a question. A simple question can
lead to an interactive session leaving everyone satisfied.
Sankarshanan, thanks for the links. I guess we could implement
something like that.

--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
In reply to this post by Hisham-7
Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  




_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
In reply to this post by Pradeep Mohandas
Hi Pradeep

Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinking about what you say and i agree with you.  Based on your ideas, here's what I suggest.  Going forward, one day before the IRC, we will publish a brief opening statement (which will be relevant to the topic, e.g., Indic Languages) which will be on meta.  The IRC will start with a link to this statement.  For the next 45 minutes we will discuss the statement.  We will then open the floor up for that last 15 minutes.  When we publish the logs, we will publish the opening statement above it - so the context is clear to those who could not attend.  This way, I hope that we will have a enough time and space to discuss the particular topic and allow for maximum participation - and still keep open the option for other discussions.

On the aspect of comfort with IRCs, I agree it does take a little getting used to.  The key thing (in addition to the structure I am proposing above) is that we encourage everyone to get involved in the discussion.   I do hope that we keep getting newer folks on - as we had the last time round - and it  is they who are most likely to feel they don't have the space to join in a conversation when they see the volume of messages and diversity of topics.

...and yes, we will continue the IRC sessions and keep looking at how we can improve effectiveness.

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Pradeep Mohandas wrote:

hi,

I hope some of the IRC-veterans can pitch in here. 

Not everyone is comfortable with IRC. I think these sessions will be more helpful for all involved if we had a statement put up on a wiki or on the mailing list by individuals who want to make these statements and then have a round of questions around the topics (as an example: community and outreach) which were meant to be discussed at the meeting.

Then, perhaps throw the floor open for general questions that members of the community want to raise. I think this will make it interactive and not be percieved as a narrative or a one-sided discussion. These may not have been intentional and should have been raised earlier.

I hope the Office continues this practice and tries to improve its effectiveness as they move forward.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

On 15 March 2012 20:45, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
In reply to this post by Hisham-7
Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  





_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Just a question. Is it possible to ever schedule a session in the afternoon/evening?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  





_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
You don't think it is possible to reroute National Highway 7 to Coimbatore and replace the one in Madurai with 47 do you?
Oh god No! It would possibly mean that IVRCL has ruined the country's longest National Highway.



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just a question. Is it possible to ever schedule a session in the afternoon/evening?


Happy to schedule at whatever time works best to most - but I suspect that the 9pm slot is the one that will probably be the most convenient (for working folks and many students.) 

We used to have it at 8pm earlier and I got a bunch of requests to move it to 9pm.

hisham

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
In reply to this post by Hisham-7
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  






_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Heya, since I was unable to join in yesterday, can I have a link to the archive/log?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  






_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

ansuman-2
Last log was on 12 October  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program . Please update 

On 23 March 2012 22:11, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Heya, since I was unable to join in yesterday, can I have a link to the archive/log?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  






_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu 
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ 

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

CherianTinu Abraham
Logs of the previous IRC meeting ( March 15, 2012) is available on this page http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/meetings
but it is not linked here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program#Communication

Hisham/ Noopur, may be you want to update there too or just avoid the need to update on both pages.

-TC

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Last log was on 12 October  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program . Please update 


On 23 March 2012 22:11, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Heya, since I was unable to join in yesterday, can I have a link to the archive/log?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  






_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu 
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ 

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

theo10011
This was all getting a bit complicated. I made those sub-pages earlier so the content can scale, I was also trying to keep the Indian IRC hours separate from the usual WMF IRC office hours. 

I reorganized things a bit. The meetings page is now a template that transcludes to other locations, the main India programs page, etc. 

All the India staff has to do is just update a single page from now, and the rest will be updated on its own. 


It will automatically transclude and update here-


You can add more locations with the template and it will update on its own.

Regards
Theo

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Logs of the previous IRC meeting ( March 15, 2012) is available on this page http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/meetings
but it is not linked here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program#Communication

Hisham/ Noopur, may be you want to update there too or just avoid the need to update on both pages.

-TC


On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Last log was on 12 October  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program . Please update 


On 23 March 2012 22:11, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Heya, since I was unable to join in yesterday, can I have a link to the archive/log?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do. 

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.  






_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Regards,
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu 
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ 

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
123