India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Hey thanks Theo, but there still is no log for 22-03-12.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:
This was all getting a bit complicated. I made those sub-pages earlier so the content can scale, I was also trying to keep the Indian IRC hours separate from the usual WMF IRC office hours.

I reorganized things a bit. The meetings page is now a template that transcludes to other locations, the main India programs page, etc.

All the India staff has to do is just update a single page from now, and the rest will be updated on its own.

It will automatically transclude and update here-

You can add more locations with the template and it will update on its own.

Regards
Theo

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Logs of the previous IRC meeting ( March 15, 2012) is available on this page http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/meetings
but it is not linked here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program#Communication

Hisham/ Noopur, may be you want to update there too or just avoid the need to update on both pages.

-TC

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Last log was on 12 October  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program . Please update

On 23 March 2012 22:11, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Heya, since I was unable to join in yesterday, can I have a link to the archive/log?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
We're starting in 15 minutes at 9pm IST.

Speak soon.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Hisham wrote:

Dear All

Reminder that there's an IRC for the community with India Program on 22nd March at 9:00 pm IST in #wikimedia-office.  This session is an open house with no specific topics to be discussed. (This was scheduled because we ran out of time in the previous IRC.  To avoid spamming lists, I won't be sending this to any other lists apart from this one.  Please do share this mail with whoever you know might be interested.

(To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname ( it does not require prior registration) and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.)

I'll send a reminder 15 minutes before the session.

hisham

On Mar 17, 2012, at 7:35 PM, Hisham wrote:

Here's the link that gives the log of this meeting - for those who couldn't attend.

As planned, the major topic of discussion was the Indic Languages initiatives.  We talked about the overall approach that Shiju has been following with several dozen community members.  We walked through the  Medical project - currently underway in AssameseTeluguOriya (Odia) & Malayalam.  (This seeks to create vital articles in Indic wikis with the help of community members with medical/healthcare background, or users who are interested in healthcare articles.)  During the IRC, Jayanta informed us that the Bengali community have also started it  - which is great.   We also discussed the Translated Articles Enhancement Project which has been started by the Kannada community.

Thank you to every one but a special thank you to the new folks who came on today.  It's always nice to see new faces!

We ran out of time on this IRC.   As discussed, I would like to suggest Thursday March 22nd @9pm IST for another IRC.  (This is in addition to the IRC planned for March 29th.)  The March 22nd IRCwill be an open house - and will not therefore have a predetermined agenda.

As always, do visit the India Program page for more information on everything we do.

Best

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

Reminder that we are starting in 15 minutes.

Do join in!  Details below.

hisham

On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Hisham wrote:

Gentle reminder. Do join in.

hisham

On Mar 11, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hisham wrote:

Hi Folks

One of the essential things that India Program needs to constantly work out is keeping the community informed of the work that we are doing - so that this work is clearer but also to help cross-pollinate ideas amongst a wider set of community members who might not have been engaged on specific village pump / talk page discussion or involved in particular activities (e.g. outreach events) or wikiprojects.

We used to have a monthly IRC with the community and India Program.   (For those who are not familiar with IRC, it is an Internet messaging system similar to a regular chat room.  It's very simple to use and you can join in by clicking on the following link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.)  I have been remiss in conducting these for the past few months - and I'd like to make amends by restarting, with a couple of modifications.

a) I'd like to propose fortnightly instead of monthly.  (I was wary of doing it any more frequently than monthly earlier because I didn't know if there would be enough on the plate to discuss.  I have changed my mind now - because there is too much to discuss to cover in a single monthly session.)  I'd like to propose that we do it in the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST (which is GMT + 0530) - THOUGH NOT THIS MONTH - BECAUSE I HAVE MISSED THE TIMELINE.  Just for March, we will do it on March 15th and March 29th (both at 9pm IST which is GMT + 0530)
b) I'd like to propose that we do it focussed on specific work streams instead of general.  The reason I say this is that - as with many community meet-ups, folks will give time to attend a meet-up or participate in an IRC only if there is a topic of relevance to them.  To that extent, we could do one IRC on Indic languages and one on Outreach & Communications.  I'd start both the IRCs with a re-cap of India Programs activities for the fortnight (or so) prior to the IRC and forward from the IRC - and then we could talk about either Indic langauges or Outreach & Communications.

The March 15th one will be focussed on Indic Languages and the one on March 29th will be on Outreach & Communications.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Kind Regards
ansuman
smileyansu
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Here's the log for March 22nd

There were very interesting discussions on how the community building work for Indic languages was conceptualised and how it is evolving.  It is especially interesting to see how WikiProjects (like Medical or Translation Enhancement) in Indic communities can play multiple roles apart from the most obvious one of improving content.  Projects of this nature hold tremendous potential in community building - from facilitating collaboration, encouraging communication, attracting newbies as well as inviting back retired editors.  All Indic wikipedians: If you  want any support or clarifications on these points, please do reach out to Shiju ([hidden email])

There was also a very useful conversation started on the role of India Program within communities.

Please note that in the IRC log, I have blanked out content in 2 lines. (I have marked them BLANKBLANKBLANK)  This was done so that the privacy of a fellow community member is not violated.  All of us should remember that IRCs  (and for that matter, mailing lists such as this, user pages and talk pages) are publicly logged.  We need to be sensitive to personal details - of other community members as well as ourselves.  Please do pass on this message to other community members, especially newbies.

As always, please do put any additional comments on the talk page for this report.

Don't forget we are back on IRC on March 29th at 9pm India and will talk a lot about outreach and a little about communications.

hisham

On Mar 22, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Hisham wrote:

[...]

Hisham,
the logs show that matters are serious indeed, and that you are taking matters a little too lightly.
Whatever said by freakofmimsy, is true and the entire English WP team, including some of us Indians would support it.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Pradeep Mohandas

Hi,

A bunch of observations:
1. I've never seen such scrutiny of any Wikipedian's contributions. I'm disappointed also to see this scrutiny being done by only a section of the community. I think the Indian community needs to speak up on this - whether for or against such scrutiny even if being done under particular circumstances. This must be done, in my opinion, in a way that shows the scrutiny is only wrt the particular condition while still respecting the editor for tAking the time and editing Wikipedia.
2. The community must also take a call on the voluntary contribution of a Wikipedian when he/she is an employee either of WMF or when working with another institutions (eg, in case of GLAM).
3. Can there be a community audit of projects with proactive contributions from the community? Can this audit be done on Wikipedia's talk pages?

Pradeep
Handheld

On Mar 24, 2012 9:41 PM, "Srikanth Ramakrishnan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anirudh S. Bhati
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Pradeep Mohandas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A bunch of observations:
> 1. I've never seen such scrutiny of any Wikipedian's contributions. I'm
> disappointed also to see this scrutiny being done by only a section of the
> community. I think the Indian community needs to speak up on this - whether
> for or against such scrutiny even if being done under particular
> circumstances. This must be done, in my opinion, in a way that shows the
> scrutiny is only wrt the particular condition while still respecting the
> editor for tAking the time and editing Wikipedia.

Please be clear when making statements such as these.  What scrutiny
are you talking about?  Stating that a recently hired communications
consultant has close to zero experience editing Wikpedia is quite
relevant to discussions that happen during IRC office hours, specially
in the light of the fact that Hisham has previously stated that no
established Wikipedians applied for work with India Programs.

Foundation employees and consultants are likely to be scrutinized more
than regular WP'ians, because they are paid for the work they do.
These are community funds we are talking about raised because our
community works their ass off to produce the content that's present on
our projects. In the discussion linked above, it is quite apparent
that Hisham hired a newbie user even when there was a much more
qualified candidate available.

For now, nobody on the India Programs team has any decent experience
editing articles on the English Wikipedia, in short, they are all
newbies.  And this has continued despite the community asking for
old-hands and despite Hisham's assurances that he is looking for
someone intimately familiar with WP processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:India_Education_Program/Analysis/Independent_Report_from_Tory_Read

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:India_Education_Program/Analysis/Independent_Report_from_Tory_Read&diff=prev&oldid=473097755

Is this too much to ask for?

I must also point out that the stated selection criteria and
responsibilities in the case of the Communications Consultant and
Operations Consultant were altered after the candidates were
announced.  We want expert Wikipedians and not social media
consultants because we are looking at increasing participation on our
projects, and not enhancing the social media experience.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
hi Anirudh,

My reply is in-line.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A bunch of observations:
> 1. I've never seen such scrutiny of any Wikipedian's contributions. I'm
> disappointed also to see this scrutiny being done by only a section of the
> community. I think the Indian community needs to speak up on this - whether
> for or against such scrutiny even if being done under particular
> circumstances. This must be done, in my opinion, in a way that shows the
> scrutiny is only wrt the particular condition while still respecting the
> editor for tAking the time and editing Wikipedia.

Please be clear when making statements such as these.  What scrutiny
are you talking about?  Stating that a recently hired communications
consultant has close to zero experience editing Wikpedia is quite
relevant to discussions that happen during IRC office hours, specially
in the light of the fact that Hisham has previously stated that no
established Wikipedians applied for work with India Programs.

Please read my statement in its entirety. It is pretty clear. I did not think that your line of questioning was Wikipedian-like. My suggestion/observation here was to inform the Wikipedian in question or at least for the record, that the question was  only in relation to the WMF Office position and not as a Wikipedian. There is the question of how you define expertise. I have been on Wikipedia for 5 years but have still not read many of the rules there or participated in many discussions. I just use common sense and civility in my edits and discussions on Wikipedia and its talk pages. So, I clearly would not meet your definition of "expert". The number of edits or the years of experience that a person has on Wikipedia cannot and should not define expertise. Have you questioned the Wikipedian in question on the person's understanding of Wikipedia's rules to state that the person does not know the ways of Wikipedia, purely based on the fact that the person has been a Wikipedian only for 2 months. The person may have been a Wikipedian only for 2 months but might know more than a Wikipedian who has been editing for the last 5 years.

Foundation employees and consultants are likely to be scrutinized more
than regular WP'ians, because they are paid for the work they do.
These are community funds we are talking about raised because our
community works their ass off to produce the content that's present on
our projects. In the discussion linked above, it is quite apparent
that Hisham hired a newbie user even when there was a much more
qualified candidate available.
Are Wikipedians scrutinised at all was my general question, above. I support that WMF employees and consultants must be scrutinized by the community and must be scrutinised more. They must also be scrutinised when they are working on projects like GLAM. I thank you for taking a proactive role on this. My only point here was that more community members must join in to make sure that a single or a group of Wikipedians do not push POV.

For now, nobody on the India Programs team has any decent experience
editing articles on the English Wikipedia, in short, they are all
newbies.

I would humbly disagree with you here. I have no time nor inclination to raise evidence in support of my claim. You are entitled to your opinion on this point, of course. But, again it is a single person's POV that this is the case. Again, I would not take the community's silence as agreement with this statement. If the community does agree with this statement, I would still not, as I am entitled to.

 And this has continued despite the community asking for
old-hands and despite Hisham's assurances that he is looking for
someone intimately familiar with WP processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:India_Education_Program/Analysis/Independent_Report_from_Tory_Read

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:India_Education_Program/Analysis/Independent_Report_from_Tory_Read&diff=prev&oldid=473097755

Is this too much to ask for?

I don't know.

I must also point out that the stated selection criteria and
responsibilities in the case of the Communications Consultant and
Operations Consultant were altered after the candidates were
announced.  We want expert Wikipedians and not social media
consultants because we are looking at increasing participation on our
projects, and not enhancing the social media experience.

I can only request that the Office stand by the selection criteria and responsibilities that it lays down at the beginning of the process. Whether the Office must disclose all the reasons for selecting a candidate over other candidates is a sticky issue. It is not general practice to reveal these points in public. I am not sure whether it would be responsible practice on Wikipedia either. While I support disclosure of the reasons for a candidate's choice, I am not sure how responsible or practical it is.

I hope this clarifies my statements adequately. If you still have doubts please raise it over email only. I will try and get back to you asap.

warm regards,
Pradeep

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
A wikipedian messaged me the following just now: " I see you're doing a nice job of defending Miss Raval. You should be a lawyer."

My email is not meant to defend any person nor accuse any person.

On an unrelated note, there is a fall in the level of trust around here that I have experienced. There is no good faith, any longer.

Regards,
Pradeep

--
How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Lakshmanan
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 15:58, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are Wikipedians scrutinised at all was my general question, above.

There is something called Requests for Comments. There was a mail recently about an RfC on a Hindi Wikipedia admin recently. So it looks like community scrutinizes wikipedians too, at least to me, you can have your opinion if you differ.

My only point here was that more community members must join in to make sure that a single or a group of Wikipedians do not push POV.

IMHO it would be inaccurate to say single / group of Wikipedians are pushing POV because others are silent. ("Push" in pushing POV happens only when there is a resistance), if there is no one else responding to conversation, it would just to putting forth views.

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
hi,

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Pradeep

On 25 March 2012 16:56, Srikanth Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

wheredevelsdare
Iv just had first hand experience too, someone messaged me: " was that you who msgd' pradeep ?"

No it wasnt me that messaged Pradeep and Thank You, for Assuming Good Faith!

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:48:52 +0530
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

announced.  We want expert Wikipedians and not social media
consultants because we are looking at increasing participation on our
projects, and not enhancing the social media experience.

I can only request that the Office stand by the selection criteria and responsibilities that it lays down at the beginning of the process. Whether the Office must disclose all the reasons for selecting a candidate over other candidates is a sticky issue. It is not general practice to reveal these points in public. I am not sure whether it would be responsible practice on Wikipedia either. While I support disclosure of the reasons for a candidate's choice, I am not sure how responsible or practical it is.

I hope this clarifies my statements adequately. If you still have doubts please raise it over email only. I will try and get back to you asap.

Pradeep, your age on Wiki and edit count does not matter. It's the
understanding of OUR policies and principles that matter. I say our as
it is Community centric. I agree with Anirudh and would personally
term Noopur being hired as a hasty decision.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Pradeep, levels of trust be good faith are built over a period of
time, not overnight.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
hi Srikanth,

Reply inline.

On 25 March 2012 17:31, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pradeep, your age on Wiki and edit count does not matter.

I agree with you.

It's the
understanding of OUR policies and principles that matter.

I agree with you.

I say our as
it is Community centric.

I agree with Anirudh and would personally
term Noopur being hired as a hasty decision.

You are free to agree with anybody. I only posted my views here. I have never asked anyone to agree with me.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Agreed. But that Trust is to come from th community. As for Good
Faith, it is assumed when the facts are obscure. In this case, the
facts are there for all to see.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Guys, this thread seems to be having a negative impact on our editors
and their editing. Pradeep, has written whatever he wrote about trust
and good faith here on his user page and put up a Retired banner.
Please help.
All the best in life, hoping you reconsider your decision.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

CherianTinu Abraham
While I humbly request Pradeep to reconsider his decision of retirement, I personally agree with one of his statements.

"I find that the level of trust and even the assumption of good faith seems to have gone down. Every action is seen through the lens of forwarding or stopping a particular agenda. '

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User%3APrad2609&diff=483871238&oldid=482060009

To add up my thoughts here, the passion and joy of contributing to the movement is subsiding...But personal agendas & caballing are on high tide here...
Sad, but the truth... :(

I just hope ( and pray that)  good faith , sense & conscience prevails among us ..

-TC

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 06:51, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
To add up my thoughts here, the passion and joy of contributing to the movement is subsiding...But personal agendas & caballing are on high tide here...
Sad, but the truth... :(

I just hope ( and pray that)  good faith , sense & conscience prevails among us ..

Talking of "personal agendas & caballing" & "praying for good faith" in the same mail doesn't help either. Charity starts at home?

--
Regards
Srikanth.L