India Programs-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 15th @ 9pm IST (Indic Languages) & Thursday March 29th @9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas

Hi,

The conversation is moving off topic. Perhaps the question to mull over is what to do next?

Pradeep
Handheld

On Mar 26, 2012 9:09 AM, "Srikanth Lakshmanan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 06:51, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
To add up my thoughts here, the passion and joy of contributing to the movement is subsiding...But personal agendas & caballing are on high tide here...
Sad, but the truth... :(

I just hope ( and pray that)  good faith , sense & conscience prevails among us ..

Talking of "personal agendas & caballing" & "praying for good faith" in the same mail doesn't help either. Charity starts at home?

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:01 AM, Pradeep Mohandas wrote:

Hi,

The conversation is moving off topic. Perhaps the question to mull over is what to do next?

  1. How do we move the predominance of media coverage beyond mainstream English print into local language print and other media channels such as radio and the Internet?
  2. How do we encourage volunteers from as many Indic communities as possible to volunteer for communications activities so that as many languages are covered?
  3. How do we ensure that news coverage is not all warm fuzzy stuff about Wikipedia - but also provides a call to action to potential newbies as well as links or contacts that they can reach out?
  4. How do we build and expand our network of media contacts?
  5. How do we build a toolkit for media/PR/social media such that community members are able to rapidly deploy to support specific initiatives such as Wikiprojects or to celebrate community or project milestones?
  6. How can we use media to support specific community events such as meet-ups or outreach sessions?
  7. Can we use media/PR to celebrate editing excellence - by showcasing select articles - and also sharing insights and invitations into the movement that is behind this content?
  8. Can we acknowledge individual life / wiki stories of editors to promote editor retention and newbie attraction?
  9. Can we build a digital outreach model that is effective?  What will it take - in terms of resources such as online tutorials or videos or help pages or chat rooms?
  10. How does a digital outreach model not duplicate existing efforts already underway or in advanced stages of planning?
  11. Can we integrate community building into the digital outreach model?
  12. How do we determine if a language community is able to manage the potential newbie load from such a digital outreach model?
  13. How do we teach the media about the movement and community and projects - given relatively low levels of understanding within such an influential group?
  14. How do we support a community initiative like Wikipatrika in a manner that it remains entirely owned by the individual community members - but we are still able to help them?  How do we do this without taking away credit and also without building dependence?
  15. How do we make the India Program monthly newsletters richer and more useful to community members?
  16. Can we introduce story-telling as a effective means of sharing the work that is done by community members such that we are able to cross-pollinate ideas?
  17. How can social media be used to drive not just attendance of events (such as photothons) but can be used to introduce newbies to Wikimedia policies?
  18. How can we adapt the WikimediaIndia handle on facebook so that it expands in popularity - but remains relevant to newbies and more experienced community members?
  19. How do we build the WikimediaIndia handle on twitter?
  20. How do we constantly remain on top of trends in social media so that we are present and relevant in channels where potential newbies might be?
  21. Do we need to localise swag and if so what do we do we need?
  22. How do we work intimately with the Chapter's communications team - but remain accessible to non-Chapter members as well?
  23. How do we ensure that everything we do on communications is rooted in community building and not marketing mumbo jumbo?
  24. How do we measure results in communications?
  25. How do we constantly ensure that everything done on communications - which will require the communications expertise - can be done in a manner where capability is transferred to interested community members?

hisham

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

wheredevelsdare
You have hired someone who is paid for this very role. Let that person submit their plan of action on all these to the community for comments. Why are you posting all of this to us?

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
+1 to WDD.

Also, let us NOT mix Social Media with Wikipedia. I don't want people posing 'Wl u be mai frnd' on my Talk page.
Social Media and Wikipedia, is a big NONO.
I realised this back in 2010 when I was trying to use Twitter to get more Wikipedians.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
You have hired someone who is paid for this very role. Let that person submit their plan of action on all these to the community for comments. Why are you posting all of this to us?

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Aditya Sengupta

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 14:37, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also, let us NOT mix Social Media with Wikipedia. I don't want people posing 'Wl u be mai frnd' on my Talk page.
Social Media and Wikipedia, is a big NONO.
I realised this back in 2010 when I was trying to use Twitter to get more Wikipedians.

Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us about how you went about trying to get more Wikipedians through Twitter?

I suspect that would help the rest of these guys who are trying to use social media to recruit  more Wikipedians determine whether all of social media is used only by a bunch of douchebags (who, on finding how awesomely incredible the community scene is here, will flock to your (and all of our) Talk pages and post fraandsheep requests (when they find no Wikifraand button)) so they can quit all their social media efforts

OR

that could perhaps help them determine what they should _not_ do, should they decide that there are indeed _some_ people who are not douchebags using social media who have the potential to be recruited to the Wikiverse (I know- how unlikely)?

Just a thought.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
I'd send it privately as a mil to you alone.
I did it as a volunteer.
Remember, the WMF has hired someone to do the same. They may have more 'working' ideas.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 15:14, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd send it privately as a mil to you alone.
I did it as a volunteer.
Remember, the WMF has hired someone to do the same. They may have more 'working' ideas.

Of course. Of course.

But perhaps an explanation of your very valuable experience on this matter might help save everyone who is 'working' on these things some time and effort, no? It would be so helpful of you to do this, so that everyone involved can say that it is pointless to work on social media efforts because of such and such reasons; instead of "because Srikanth Ramakrishnan said so" (I'm sure you are correct, nonetheless).

I beg you send the email to the list for everyone's welfare. So that I am not alone in learning how to use (or not to use) this Twitter thingy. In the spirit of Wikipedia and sharing knowledge and all that.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Gautam John
On 26 March 2012 14:37, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, let us NOT mix Social Media with Wikipedia. I don't want people posing
> 'Wl u be mai frnd' on my Talk page.
> Social Media and Wikipedia, is a big NONO.

I'm curious. Why do you say, so?

What are the other paths to get new editors in to the fold?

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Pradeep Mohandas
Is there a prize for answering these questions?

These questions look odd without context/clarification.

Pradeep

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Here you go:
Maybe this is just with me, I don't have a great audience on Twitter, and I doubt it if anyone else has tried this:

Take the case of Actor Siddharth. His article on enwiki used to say Siddharth Narayan. He tweeted out [Verified account] saying that his name was Siddharth Suryanarayan and not Narayan. User:FilmLover1426 changed the name but when it came to moving the page, she told me, "I need to contact some one to have it changed", inspite of me telling her, she could do it herself. Then, there came an issue of Reliable sources, she argued that the tweets would be sufficient.

Another case, this time more successsful, would be of the Bangalore Helicopter pictures. I found it on Twitter, got in touch with the fellow who uploaded, but got no result. But then, a friend of his, who accompanied him on the ride, had uploaded to FlickR, and thanks to a mail sent by me, AroundTheGlobe and AshLin, he released his images under CC-BY-SA.

I'd concentrate more on socio-economic forums online than Twitter for getting new people to Wikipedia.

Getting Wikipedians to Twitter is easy, the reverse is a bit tough.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Aditya Sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

India Program-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 29th @ 9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Hi Folks

Reminder about the IRC later today (9pm IST on March 29th.)  Join in using this link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wikimedia-office.

As I had indicated earlier, what we will do going forward is to publish an opening statement - which is below.  We'd like to have a rich discussion around these topics for 45 minutes and then throw it open for 15 minutes for any other topics that anyone wants to discuss.

There have been more than 22 outreach sesssions (English + some Indic languages) across India over the past 2 1/2 months.   We have been working on constantly every component of outreach.

* Pre-session work - building supporting material (documents, presentations, handouts etc), evaluating different ways of conducting an effective outreach, using different ways to reach out to organisations with the proposal to conduct a session etc.

* Session work - adopting different techniques of doing  outreach, how do we get participants more involved during the session, how to filter out the folks so that we do the editing session only with the  genuinely interested participants, how to balance between practical and theoretical aspects of training, how much information to give out in one session etc.

* Post-session work - how do we provide editing support to the participants, how do we collect their contact information, how do we keep in touch with them on regular basis, how do we invite them to join other Wiki projects, how do we track their edit count - soon after the session, after 1 and 3 months of conducting the session etc.

We'd like to discuss these.  In the IRC, the following will be covered:

* Indic Outreach: How can we do more outreach session in Indic langauges in particular? / Can regional communities work to translate supporting material? / How do we provide more support to different language communities to conduct these sessions?

* More Outreach:  If we are doing 7 outreach session in one month right now is there a way of us doing 10 every month? / Can we find more community members who will be willing to conduct these session? / For community members who are interested to conduct outreach sessions but think they lack confidence - is there a way we can help them?

* Better Outreach: Can we find some volunteers who will be willing to "adopt" these newbies and give them support? .

I'd strongly encourage all those folks who have been actively involved in conducting these sessions over the past 2 months to join this IRC. It will be great if you could share your first hand experience with the wider community on what worked, what didn't, what we could have done better etc.  I especially do want to ask Indic Wikimedians to join because we desperately need more outreach sessions in Indic languages.

We will also briefly address the early stages of the communications work - which are the storytelling and Wikipatrika support that was announced yesterday.  Given it's early days on communications, I'd prefer this IRC stay largely focussed on outreach since there is so much to work through there.

See you all there!

Apologies for sending this note this morning and not last night as I had promised.

hisham

p.s. There is a (tiny) possibility that I might be slightly late but you'll all be in Nitika's safe hands.  I shall try and my level best to be on time.

Re: India Program-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 29th @ 9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Hisham, you say you're conducted 22+ sessions. How would you rate the
relative success of each of them? Four people editing on the day isn't
good enough. Long term editors should be used to measure success.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Program-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 29th @ 9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Vickram Crishna-2
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hisham, you say you're conducted 22+ sessions. How would you rate the
relative success of each of them? Four people editing on the day isn't
good enough. Long term editors should be used to measure success.

I think what you mean to say is that the editors on the day need to be tracked (not them: their contributions) regularly. This might aid in directing them to whatever post-outreach assistance they need, and also might result in the outreach 'business' snowballing, once other editors see how effective this is. I see two kinds of success for an outreach program:

1. Outreach multiplication, measured in outreach sessions per period (week/month/year)
2. Successful outreach sessions, measured in number of editors contributing x periods (weeks/months/years) after they participated in an outreach

There is a third possible outcome, which is identifying (and perhaps rewarding) people who are good (ie conversion of newbies into editors) at outreach.

I also see a different kind of outreach outcome, but which probably needs a different kind of outreach session, and that is through the addition of software contributors.
Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Vickram
Fool On The Hill

Re: India Program-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 29th @ 9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Vickram, what you said is an 'expanded' version of what I meant.
I see no point in wasting time and efforts on such sessions if the net result is zero.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Vickram Crishna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nitika Tandon-2
Hey,

Just a reminder. We are starting in 10 mins. Do join in!

Thanks
Nitika

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:41, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This body of data is fascinatingly insightful. I should hope the foundation folks are taking notes. I will ensure I represent this point about the consequences of social media personally with the greatest intensity I can gather to the appropriate foundation folks during my next trip to Delhi.

Re: India Programs Additional IRC: Thursday March 22nd @ 9pm IST(Open House) (#wikimedia-office)

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
While I don't know about the Foundation folks, several editors have
already contacted me on this matter and have taken notes. Who knows,
we may just have to change our approach.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Re: India Program-Fortnightly IRC: Thursday March 29th @ 9pm IST (Outreach & Communication) (#wikimedia-office)

Hisham-7
Here's the log.

Do go through it.  It covers a lot of the work that is being done in outreach - including the kind of material that is available on (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Outreach_Programs/Handbook#Respository_of_Documents) as well as ideas and suggestions on how best to conduct outreach sessions.  Am repeating the request for Indic community folks to help translate the documents so that (they) and others in their respective communities can use this material.  I'm also reiterating Nitika's point about the need to do more outreach in Indic languages and if anyone needs any support, please do reach out to her at [hidden email]

Also, we discussed Wikipatrika and storytelling.  Wikipatrika needs involvement from all communities so that all are covered well.  For storytelling, we are looking at individual editors from all communities for us to celebrate their stories.  For any help on either, please do reach out to [hidden email].

Thank you.

From April onwards, we will move to our regular routine of 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month.  Next IRC is planned for this Thursday (April 5th at 9pm IST.)  It will be about Indic languages.  More details will follow.

Best

hisham