India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon

Netha Hussain

Hey All,

I am writing to invite each one of you to India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon that has been scheduled for 25th March 2012, Sunday from 12:00pm to 2:00pm. It's probably not possible for all of us to meet physically to celebrate Women's Month but we all meet virtually - online!

During the two hour time slot we all will be editing an article which will be pre-selected by way of nomination and votes. Depending on the number of members joining in we can also organise an IRC meet to meet each other before and during the event.

Everyone is welcome to come edit Wikipedia with us at this event. Women, new editors, all those who relate to women's history or women's issues, those who want to learn how to edit or can teach others how, and anyone with an interest in women's history are particularly encouraged to attend.

Please sign Up here and suggest and vote for articles here. Nomination for articles will be closed by 22nd of March and the voting will be closed by 24th March. Hurry! :)

Thanks Nitika, for bringing up this idea!

I welcome all of you to participate by editing subjects about women's history and more. Everyone is welcome!

Thanks

--
Netha Hussain
User : Netha Hussain on Wikiprojects

Blogs : nethahussain.blogspot.com
swethaambari.wordpress.com

Re: India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon

Pradeep Mohandas

Hi Netha,

Great initiative!

Wondering why you're limiting yourself to one article? Why not do multiple articles in small groups of 3 to 4 people? Also, why not do it across languages as well?

It might get slightly messy but will be more fun and might foster some healthy competition between the groups as well :)

Pradeep
Handheld

On Mar 13, 2012 8:36 PM, "Netha Hussain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pradeep.

We will be working on 1-4 articles depending upon the volunteer turnout. I am thinking of conducting a similar Edit-a-thon in Malayalam Wikipedia. If anybody else would like to conduct WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon's in other Indic languages, please let me know. Together, we shall celebrate the Women's month!

In WikiLove,
Netha Hussain

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Noopur-2
Thanks for pulling this together Netha :) I am in!
Regards
Noopur

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Netha Hussain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Noopur Raval
Student
Arts and Aesthetics
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Ph: 9650567690

Re: India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon

CherianTinu Abraham
"Why shud girls have all the fun ? " :D

Just kidding ! Nice initiative ...  All the best wishes!

On a related note, it is good to find reasons on why Wikipedia attract very less woman editors ( much less in India than global benchmarks) and how to solve this gender gap.
Thoughts ?

-TC

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ashwin Baindur
As a miniscule gesture of support to you fabulous ladies, I looked for a prominent Indian woman without an image, located an image and uploaded it to Commons and the article.

I found the Nightingale of India, Sarojini Naidu, had no worthwhile image. Maragret Bourke-White's image ex Life Archive is copyright free in India and I have uploaded that under {{pd-India}} and it now graces the article.

I request all editors to do small things like this even if you are not able to edit major articles or help in other ways.

I also request all editors of the Tag & Assess drive 2011 to recheck their assessments and add "gender=yes" for articles on women, children and related issues.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:14 AM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On a related note, we are looking for a women volunteer coordinator for Women and Gender Issues Task Force on WikiProject India.

The only QRs are :
* Lady editor.
* Enthusiastic and willing to take up the role.
* Not involved with other Wikipedia responsibilities. (For example, User:Noopur28 would not be recommended due to her large involvements already with GLAM & IP).

Please reply on list if you meet the QR and would like to take up this challenging appointment.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I would like to publicly say that I have erred in naming Noopur here. I did not mean to cast any aspersion on her and her good work and track record. I  thought that since she is a publicly known figure with responsibilities and good work done in so many spheres - GLAM, Delhi community and now in India Programs, that it would be an example of an already dedicated person whereas I preferred someone new who was not already committed.

I now see that I was wrong to name a specific person. The text can be misconstrued as a negative by those who dont know Noopur or her qualities. Also Noopur never aspired to the post. I'm sure if she had chooses to do it, she would do it wonderfully well.

My deepest apologies to you, Noopur for causing you distress and embarrassment.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey Ashwin!
I don't think anyone who is active on this list will misunderstand your mail. :) We've had discussions before on how a lot of positions cause confusion and I also want someone who can dedicate enough time and attention to work on this project. So, no hard feelings on my part. I also saw your Wikipatrika Meta suggestion (going OT here). Since I will be taking that up, my hands are really full anyway.
Anyway, I'd want to be the backup in case you need any short term help. I am grateful for your considerate explanation though :) In the meanwhile, we have a list of women Wikipedians. Naveen can suggest a name or two that can be approached?
Regards
Noopur

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Noopur, thanks for understanding and your kind note.

I would request you to discuss with other women editors during the Wiki-Edit-a-thon and come up with a recommendation. I think it is best that you decide for yourselves.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was looking at the nominations page and can see no nominations relating to women who played a role in India's history. The edit-a-thon has been organised in honour of   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiWomen%27s_History_Month and aims to contribute articles on women in history, While it is great that some of the names have come up from contemporary names and the group can select a name, it would greatly help to work on articles from women in history.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon

Netha Hussain
A gentle remainder :

The WikiWomen Edit-a-thon is scheduled to be held from 1200 to 1400 IST on 25th of March 2012 (Sunday). There will be a google hangout (or an IRC meet, depending on the convenience of the participants)  from 1100 to 1200 IST. Please vote for the article of your choice here. If you are interested in joining the Edit-a-thon, but have not registered your names yet, please register here.

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The Edit-a-thon will be held on tomorrow, 25th March from 1200 IST to 1400 IST. The article to be worked on during the event is [[Sarojini Naidu]]. There will be an IRC meet for half an hour starting at 11 30 am IST  for the participants of the Edit-a-thon.

To join the IRC, all you have to do is go to: http://webchat.freenode.net/  and enter a nickname and enter #wikimedia-office as the channel name.

Hoping to see you all at the Edit-a-thon!

Cheers

Netha.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Netha Hussain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Report of the First India WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon :

The India WikiWomen Edit-a-Thon was held on 25th of March, 2012 from 11 30 to 14 00 IST. Eight people signed up for the event, but only four editors turned up for the event. The editors who participated in the Edit-a-thon were User: Nitika.t, User: Nicke.me, User: Karthikndr and myself. The Edit-a-Thon began with the IRC hangout at 11 30 am IST where the participants introduced each other and discussed about the necessary changes to be made on the [[Sarojini Naidu]] article.

We started editing at 12.

1. We added about 20 references in the article.
2. we added sections and content under Naidu's early life, married life, career and famous poems. (8397 bytes of data)
3. We added pictures from Commons.

It great that we were able to substantially improve the article by adding content, citations, inline references and images. The Edit-a-Thon continued till 14 00 IST.

We had fun! :)

Thanks to all participants for joining the event.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM, nikita belavate <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Great job! I hope in Future, we can have more users and can span
multiple languages.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.