India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Karthik Nadar-2
Dear all,

It is immense pleasure for me and Naveen to announce that India has won officially at the photo-contest Wiki Loves Monuments internationally. Two of the photos from India among 3,60,000+ have made it to the top-10.

1. Tomb of Safdarjung from Delhi has received from the highest ranking by the international jury, as the image wins first prize globallyThe photo plays with the light and gives a wonderful contrast between the darkness of the room and the lighted tomb, giving it a dramatic effect. The photographer is Pranav Singh, from Delhi.

Safdarjung's Tomb, a garden tomb with a marble mausoleum in New Delhi, India. It was built in 1754 in the late Mughal Empire style, and was described as "the last flicker in the lamp of Mughal architecture".

Comments from Jury: The strong light contrast between the lighted tomb and the darkness of the room emphasizes the monument, and gives it a dramatic component. The tomb is sharp and detailed, and free of visual distractions; with gravity and a perfect sense for the angle of view and light this picture presents the object - the architecture and light forming a stage for the tomb, focusing on the details of the stone carving. All in all a nicely framed and executed picture that seems to speak of the significance of this tomb.

2. The Taj Mahal is no where lying behind. The winning photo from India ranks 6th internationally. The photographer is Narender Kumar, again from Delhi.

The Taj Mahal, is a mausoleum located in Agra, India, that was built under Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the most famous Indian buildings and considered a symbol for love world wide.

Comments from Jury: The Taj Mahal is probably one of the most photographed monuments in the world - and definitely in this competition. This particular image gives an impressive view of the silhouette, showing also the adjoining buildings. The complex seems to wake up, out of the mist. It gives context and mystery at the same time showing just a bit more than on most pictures.

It's happy moment for the Indian community. Congratulations to all winners. Thanks to the entire Indian community and to the Wikimedia India Chapter for constant cooperation.

--
Karthik Nadar.
Secretary,

Donate to Wikipedia, support free knowledge.

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Excellent news Karthik.
This should be a great morale booster for us now!

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Sudhanwa Jogalekar
WOW!!!

Congrats to the photographers and also to the organising team.

-Sudhanwa

> [...]

> buildings. The complex seems to wake up, out of the mist. It gives context
> and mystery at the same time showing just a bit more than on most pictures.
>

> It's happy moment for the Indian community. Congratulations to all winners.
> Thanks to the entire Indian community and to the Wikimedia India Chapter for
> constant cooperation.
>

> Official announcement:
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/and-the-2012-winner-is/
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012_winners (2012
> contest finalists)
> Stats: More than 3,60,000 images was uploaded globally. 15,000 participants,
> most of them (2000+) were from India alone.
>

> --
> Karthik Nadar.
> Secretary,
> Wikimedia India Chapter.
>
> Donate to Wikipedia, support free knowledge.

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Béria Lima
Karthik, you're planing on nominate those 2 images to Feature Image[1] status on commons?

Would be nice if they could get to the POTY list, but for that they would need to be nominated and promoted until the end of December (nominations last for 9 days, anyone can nominate, but only commons users with more than 50 edits and 10 days of account can vote.)

If you answer is yes and you need help doing the nominations, please send me a mail off list, or ping me in IRC or gchat.

 [1]: The page to nominate the images is: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_picture_candidates
_____
Béria Lima

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

On 3 December 2012 15:43, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> buildings. The complex seems to wake up, out of the mist. It gives context
> and mystery at the same time showing just a bit more than on most pictures.
>

> It's happy moment for the Indian community. Congratulations to all winners.
> Thanks to the entire Indian community and to the Wikimedia India Chapter for
> constant cooperation.
>

> Official announcement:
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/and-the-2012-winner-is/
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012_winners (2012
> contest finalists)
> Stats: More than 3,60,000 images was uploaded globally. 15,000 participants,
> most of them (2000+) were from India alone.
>

> --
> Karthik Nadar.
> Secretary,
> Wikimedia India Chapter.
>
> Donate to Wikipedia, support free knowledge.

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Pradeep Mohandas-4

Awesome work you guys!

Congratulations to the winners!

Pradeep

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Naveen Francis-2
Congratulations to all winners and participants !!!

Lodewijk,Elke,Maarten,Barbara and Tomasz
Thanks a lot for the spectacular work by the International team.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012/Who%27s_who

Thanks,
Naveen Francis

[...]

Gautam John
Whoa! Congratulations!

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
This is awesome! Congratulations all who have made this event so successful!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Whoa! Congratulations!

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

Best

Subha

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Karthik Nadar-2
Yes Beria,

would nominate them asap :) I'll ping also ping you if any help required.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
commons

--
Karthik Nadar.
Secretary,
Wikimedia India Chapter.

Donate to Wikipedia, support free knowledge.

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Harsh Kothari
Congrats to all :)

Thanks
Harsh
---
Harsh Kothari
Research Fellow,
Physical Research Laboratory(PRL).
Ahmedabad.

On 04-Dec-2012, at 10:38 AM, Abhijeet Safai wrote:

Congrats!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes Beria,

would nominate them asap :) I'll ping also ping you if any help required.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
commons

--
Karthik Nadar.
Secretary,
Wikimedia India Chapter.

Donate to Wikipedia, support free knowledge.

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Jyoti Prakash Nath
What else can pleasure me in the very morning........

Congratulation to Pranab and Narendra and to the India community.

Regards
Jyoti Prakash Nath
Guwahati
, Assam
9864917706

Re: India wins at globally in Wiki Loves Monuments

Arun Ramarathnam
Great stuff, though unfortunate they couldnt locate the winner! That's rather unfortunate.

regards
Arun

Arun Ramarathnam
Bangalore, India