Indian language Wikipedias - Statistical report - 2010 January

Indian language Wikipedias - Statistical report - 2010 January

Shiju Alex
Hello All

Please see the PDF file available at the location http://shijualexonline.googlepages.com/2010_01_january_en.pdf for a detailed statistical analysis of the Indian language wikipedias for the month of 2010 January.

The data for this report is taken from the statistical analysis of all the WikiMedia wikis prepared and maintained by Erik Zachte (Website: http://infodisiac.com/). The statistics is available at http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/Sitemap.htm. Special thanks to Erik for all the support he has extended while I was compiling this report.

The data is collected on the last day of every month. That is, the statistical data for the month of 2010 January is collected at 2010 January 31 23:59 PM GMT. The statistical analysis of the following Indian language wikipedias is included in this blog post.

   * Assamese (http://as.wikipedia.org)
   * Bengali (http://bn.wikipedia.org)
   * Bhojpuri (http://bh.wikipedia.org)
   * Bishnupriya Manipuri (http://bpy.wikipedia.org)
   * Gujarathi (http://gu.wikipedia.org)
   * Hindi (http://hi.wikipedia.org)
   * Kannada (http://kn.wikipedia.org)
   * Kashmiri (http://ks.wikipedia.org)
   * Malayalam (http://ml.wikipedia.org)
   * Marathi (http://mr.wikipedia.org)
   * Odia (Oriya) (http://or.wikipedia.org)
   * Pali (http://pi.wikipedia.org)
   * Punjabi (http://pa.wikipedia.org)
   * Sanskrit (http://sa.wikipedia.org)
   * Sindhi (http://sd.wikipedia.org)
   * Tamil (http://ta.wikipedia.org)
   * Telugu (http://te.wikipedia.org)
   * Urdu (http://ur.wikipedia.org)

I have also included some other languages of Indian Subcontinent like Sinhala, Burmese, and so on;

   * Burmese (http://my.wikipedia.org)
   * Nepal Bhasha/Newari (http://new.wikipedia.org)
   * Nepali (http://ne.wikipedia.org)
   * Sinhala (http://si.wikipedia.org)

I know that these languages are not among the official languages the India. But I am very much interested to see the wiki activity for  these languages due to various reasons. Especially Sinhala and Burmese Wikipedia.

I hope this initiative will improve the interaction between different Indian Language Wikipedias/wikipedians. We (Malayalam Wikipedians - http://ml.wikipedia.org) are maintaining a similar comparison study of the major Indian Language wikipedias for the past two years. This analysis has helped us to understand the status of Malayalam Wikipedia as compared to other Indian Language Wikipedias. I hope this report will help other Indian language wikipedias also.

Please feel free to add your suggestions/analysis as comment to this post. I have divided this report into two different sections.

  1. Statistical analysis of Wikipedias
  2. Localization status of Mediawiki software

Following are the different topics covered under each section.

Wikipedia Statistics

Article statistics

Number of Articles
Number of Edits
Break up of edits (2009 February – 2010 January)
Edits per article
Number of new articles/day
Average size of an article (bytes)
Database size (in Mega Bytes)
Percentage of articles with size greater than 500 bytes
Percentage of articles with size greater than 2000 bytes (2 kilobytes)

User Statistics

Number of active wikipedians

Page views per month (All figures in Lakhs/month)
MediaWiki Statistics

Localization statistics

Media Wiki Localization status (percentage)

See the PDF http://shijualexonline.googlepages.com/2010_01_january_en.pdf for the detailed analysis. You can make your own analysis and conclusions after going through each topic in the PDF.

Along with each month's statistical report, I would like to put forward a question related to Indian langaugage Wikis  The question for this month is :

Question for 2010 january: Which is the first Indian language Wikipedia?

Support your answer with sufficient references.

Please let me know in case there are any issues.

Regards

Shiju Alex

Re: Indian language Wikipedias - Statistical report - 2010 January

praveenp
Shiju Alex wrote:

Question for 2010 january: Which is the first Indian language Wikipedia?
Punjabi, Assamese, Oriya (2002 June) <ref>http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ;-p </ref>

Re: Indian language Wikipedias - Statistical report - 2010 January

Siebrand Mazeland
Hi Shiju Alex,

*very* nice overview in numbers.

You’re calling it an ‘analysis’. Usually I expect some prose with an analysis – reasoning, assumptions and conclusions.

Do you - or someone else - have any plans to add these at some point in time? Currently each reader has to go through all the tables, make his own observations, mix in some assumptions and distill conclusions from those. I truly understand that commenting on numbers is probably even more work than gathering them in the current format in the first place.

It could however be very valuable – and a great discussion starter – if someone would comment on the numbers say every 6 months. It would also allow readers of the report to just read the words, and have the tables as an annex.

Next steps could be to add goals, strategies to archieve them, and assess the goals and strategies later on, based on this type of report.

Comments?

Siebrand

Please see the PDF file available at the location http://shijualexonline.googlepages.com/2010_01_january_en.pdf for a detailed statistical analysis of the Indian language wikipedias for the month of 2010 January.

<snip>

Re: Indian language Wikipedias - Statistical report - 2010 January

Shiju Alex
<snip>
Do you - or someone else - have any plans to add these at some point in time?
</snip>

Yes very much. I am preparing a blog post based on these numbers. Infact for the past 1.5 years we are publishing an analysis based on these numbers in Malayalam wiki mailing list each month.

I know the current information is not "analysis". But I hope it will improve as we move forward based on the valuable inputs from all of you.

Siebrand, Erik,

I have noticed that in all the statistics tables at different locations,   Bhojpuri language is representented as Bihari. But Bhojupuri is one of the Bihari languages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bihari_languages). Other Bihari languages are : Angika  · Bhojpuri  · Fiji Hindi  · Kudmali  · Magahi  · Maithili  · Majhi  · Musasa  · Panchpargania  · Sadri  · Sadri, Oraon  · Sarnami Hindustani  · Surajpuri  · Vajjika

Please see whether this information needs to updated.

Thank you

Shiju

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have added my views about the Indian Wikipedias statistics (2010 January)  in my blog. The link to the blog post is http://shijualex.blogspot.com/2010/02/indian-language-wikipedias-statistics.html

Please feel free to add your suggestions/analysis as comment to the post. I encourage publishing your views/comment as separate blog post also. We can also discuss about the same in the mailing list.

I hope analyzing the statistics will benefit all the Indian language wikis. I would like to emphasis one point regarding the localization of MediaWiki messages.

Localization of the Wiki software is very important when we are trying to reach to prospective Wikipedians in any language. A website with the interface and all system messages in your local language has edge over a website with English only content among your language community.

GerardM  has been enlightening us regarding this many times. He has also send mails regarding this to the wikimediaindia mailing list a couple of times. I request the respective community to give top priority to localize the Mediawiki messages to your language.

Thank you

Shiju Alex

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

[...]

Jyothis Edathoot
Wouldnt it be a good idea to add this info in meta under the wikimedia india page and provide a link in the main page?

just a thought.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) / resources) + ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

<snip>