Indie story on HoC editing

Charles Matthews
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html

Amusingly the hard copy version had WMUK owning WP, which would have been a simplification in speaking to Sue G, but otherwise troublesome. But someone (i.e. Jon Davies) told them otherwise.

Charles

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Richard Symonds-3
Classic case, I'm afraid, of a journalist not quite doing his research. He spoke to us a few weeks ago and we made it quite clear that we're seperate, distinct organisations, and that we don't 'own' Wikipedia or anything of the sort... We've corrected the article since!
Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

On 09/03/2012 13:48, Charles Matthews wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html

Amusingly the hard copy version had WMUK owning WP, which would have been a simplification in speaking to Sue G, but otherwise troublesome. But someone (i.e. Jon Davies) told them otherwise.

Charles

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Steve Virgin

When I did a round of Radio Interviews for regional radio stations on the day of the Wikipedia blackout in January the same point was put to me in a question.

The BBC was particularly bad.

Steve V

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Tom Morris-5
On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html

Headline: "Who are the Commons moles changing Wikipedia entries?"

My initial thought was "Commons people aren't allowed to edit
Wikipedia?" (and also something along the lines of "well, we know
Commons people like their 'nude or semi-nude women with Muppets', but
even so, calling them 'moles' seems a bit harsh!").

Then I grokked that it was the House of Commons, not Wikimedia Commons.

Too much time at the coal face, methinks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Michael Peel-4

On 9 Mar 2012, at 14:32, Tom Morris wrote:

> On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html
>>

> Headline: "Who are the Commons moles changing Wikipedia entries?"
>
> My initial thought was "Commons people aren't allowed to edit
> Wikipedia?" (and also something along the lines of "well, we know
> Commons people like their 'nude or semi-nude women with Muppets', but
> even so, calling them 'moles' seems a bit harsh!").
>
> Then I grokked that it was the House of Commons, not Wikimedia Commons.
>
> Too much time at the coal face, methinks.

I thought exactly the same thing, followed by "ooh, there's a Wikimedia Commons article on page 3 of the Independent! Fantastic!". Should have known better. ;-)

Mike

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Jon Davies
Tomorrow the world!

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Tom Morris-5
On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html

So, the best thing about this story is that it's about two years out of date.

An acquaintance of mine did a funny article back in 2010 on
Parliamentarians editing Wikipedia.

http://www.tomscott.com/wikiparliament/

It's like the Indie story but with better jokes.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Jon Davies
MUCH better article. Don;t you wish Cilla Black had been your headteacher?
Quoting Tom Morris <[hidden email]>:

> On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html
>>

> So, the best thing about this story is that it's about two years out of date.
>
> An acquaintance of mine did a funny article back in 2010 on
> Parliamentarians editing Wikipedia.
>
> http://www.tomscott.com/wikiparliament/
>
> It's like the Indie story but with better jokes.
>
> --
> Tom Morris
> <http://tommorris.org/>

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Deryck Chan

On Mar 9, 2012 2:35 PM, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2012, at 14:32, Tom Morris wrote:
>
> > On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html
> >>

> > Headline: "Who are the Commons moles changing Wikipedia entries?"
> >
> > My initial thought was "Commons people aren't allowed to edit
> > Wikipedia?" (and also something along the lines of "well, we know
> > Commons people like their 'nude or semi-nude women with Muppets', but
> > even so, calling them 'moles' seems a bit harsh!").
> >
> > Then I grokked that it was the House of Commons, not Wikimedia Commons.
> >
> > Too much time at the coal face, methinks.
>
> I thought exactly the same thing, followed by "ooh, there's a Wikimedia Commons article on page 3 of the Independent! Fantastic!". Should have known better. ;-)
>
> Mike

What I read: "There's a Wikimedia Commons picture on page 3!" Anyone takers on Commons for the challenge? ;)

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Richard Symonds-3
I think there are probably enough page 3 photos on commons already, don't you? ;-)

On 9 March 2012 15:52, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I read: "There's a Wikimedia Commons picture on page 3!" Anyone takers
> on Commons for the challenge? ;)

Commons *is* Page 3 for the 'Nude Girls With Muppets' generation.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Deryck Chan

Yes, hence I think it's time for page 3 to start taking good pictures *from* Commons! ;)

On Mar 9, 2012 3:56 PM, "Richard Symonds" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think there are probably enough page 3 photos on commons already, don't you? ;-)
Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT.
Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
its contents.

On 09/03/2012 15:52, Deryck Chan wrote:

On Mar 9, 2012 2:35 PM, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2012, at 14:32, Tom Morris wrote:
>
> > On 9 March 2012 13:48, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/who-are-the-commons-moles-changing-wikipedia-entries-7545991.html
> >>

> > Headline: "Who are the Commons moles changing Wikipedia entries?"
> >
> > My initial thought was "Commons people aren't allowed to edit
> > Wikipedia?" (and also something along the lines of "well, we know
> > Commons people like their 'nude or semi-nude women with Muppets', but
> > even so, calling them 'moles' seems a bit harsh!").
> >
> > Then I grokked that it was the House of Commons, not Wikimedia Commons.
> >
> > Too much time at the coal face, methinks.
>
> I thought exactly the same thing, followed by "ooh, there's a Wikimedia Commons article on page 3 of the Independent! Fantastic!". Should have known better. ;-)
>
> Mike

What I read: "There's a Wikimedia Commons picture on page 3!" Anyone takers on Commons for the challenge? ;)

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Michael Peel-4
On second thoughts/read-through, I want to retract my previous email. I skim-read through Tom's email, and was thinking more in terms of 'Wikimedia Commons' vs ''Commons' in terms of 'House of Commons', and hence there being high-profile visibility for the Wikimedia sister projects. I was _not_ replying in terms of the 'Page 3' interpretation as per the newspaper that goes under the name of 'The Sun', which I think is fundamentally sexist and ethically wrong.

Mike

On 9 Mar 2012, at 16:03, Deryck Chan wrote:

> Yes, hence I think it's time for page 3 to start taking good pictures *from* Commons! ;)
>
> On Mar 9, 2012 3:56 PM, "Richard Symonds" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think there are probably enough page 3 photos on commons already, don't you? ;-)
> Richard Symonds
> Office & Development Manager
> Wikimedia UK
>
> +44 (0) 207 065 0992
>
> --
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
> Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT.
> Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
> its contents.
>

> On 09/03/2012 15:52, Deryck Chan wrote:

>> > I thought exactly the same thing, followed by "ooh, there's a Wikimedia Commons article on page 3 of the Independent! Fantastic!". Should have known better. ;-)
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >

>> What I read: "There's a Wikimedia Commons picture on page 3!" Anyone takers on Commons for the challenge? ;)

>> WMUK:
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org

Re: Indie story on HoC editing

Deryck Chan
Mike,
I think it was my fault mis-reading your original message. My apologies.
Deryck