Info: 2012 programme of events with the Victoria and Albert Museum

Info: 2012 programme of events with the Victoria and Albert Museum

Fae-6
Hi,

I spent this afternoon with representatives in the V&A (from Comms,
Digitization and Documentation/Copyright) and supported by another
Wikimedian (Jeanne who is interested in helping with fashion related
topics on Wikipedia).

We have a track record of events with the V&A (the most recent being
the collaboration on <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipu's_Tiger>) but
they would like to start long term planning events for next year for a
sustained programme of activities and supported by a persistent
community of interested Wikimedians rather than thinking of one-off
events. Within the organization they are discussing the benefit of
releasing a selection of high quality images/media of their
collections, particularly where these would have significant impact on
Wikipedia article quality, such as their key artefacts (sometimes
referred to as "treasures"). We are also going to have a follow-up
discussion on copyright as they are currently reviewing how to apply
creative commons licenses on their publicly accessible database
(<http://collections.vam.ac.uk>, at the moment commercial re-use would
require a negotiation with the V&A each time) to make it much simpler
for members of the public to understand how to re-use images,
potentially some then usable on Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons.

If you would like to help with future programmes or would like early
involvement in the planning and consultation for events with staff and
curators please drop me a note and I'll keep you copied in on future
meetings as they happen. I am planning on being at the next London
wikimeet (13th Nov) so you can buy me a coffee and bounce some ideas
off me for 2012 if you prefer doing this in person. ;-)

Cheers,
Fae (WM-UK trustee and GLAM budget holder)
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Info: 2012 programme of events with the Victoria and Albert Museum

David Gerard-2
On 9 November 2011 21:48, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Within the organization they are discussing the benefit of
> releasing a selection of high quality images/media of their
> collections, particularly where these would have significant impact on
> Wikipedia article quality, such as their key artefacts (sometimes
> referred to as "treasures").

WIN!

Can we make requests? I'd love some good pics of the Euphonicon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphonicon ...

- d.

Re: Info: 2012 programme of events with the Victoria and Albert Museum

Fae-6
Hi David,

Yes, needed images was a topic specifically raised, by the V&A staff.
They would love to know where the "gaps" on Wikipedia or Commons are
so they can target the programme, or look at releasing (or creating
images/video).

I'm wondering if this needs to be part of a request page, similar to
the image request list we started at the BM* (anyone want to set it
up)? I can't promise a quick response but a good wish-list from our
community would probably help the internal discussions enormously.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/BM/Photos_requested

Cheers,
Fae

On 9 November 2011 21:57, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering if this needs to be part of a request page, similar to
> the image request list we started at the BM* (anyone want to set it
> up)? I can't promise a quick response but a good wish-list from our
> community would probably help the internal discussions enormously.
> Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/BM/Photos_requested

I think spreading a request link would be a big win, yes.

- d.

Re: Info: 2012 programme of events with the Victoria and Albert Museum

HJ Mitchell
One quick thought: when I ask people to release images and they're a bit iffy about it, I sometimes ask them if they'd be more comfortable releasing a lower resolution version (we wouldn't normally display an image in an article at above 300px).

Oh, and I'm interested in being kept in the loop on anything like this. Is there a GLAM mailing list somewhere?

Harry

On 9 November 2011 22:14, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One quick thought: when I ask people to release images and they're a bit
> iffy about it, I sometimes ask them if they'd be more comfortable releasing
> a lower resolution version (we wouldn't normally display an image in an
> article at above 300px).

Yes, we discussed (good) web-quality sizes this was the approach taken
for the release of Tipu's Tiger images to Commons.

> Oh, and I'm interested in being kept in the loop on anything like this. Is
> there a GLAM mailing list somewhere?
> Harry

Not yet. Perhaps a registration page at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/VANDA> (if it gets
created) would be a good way of doing this?

Cheers,
Fae