Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Fae-6
Hi, heads-up,

As we will be finalizing our agreement with Museums Galleries Scotland
on 30/9 for the recruitment of a Scotland coordinator, Brian McNeil
and I will be arranging the next Edinburgh wikimeet for the next day,
Saturday 1st October.

As the budget holder for the coordinator and the point of contact for
MGS, I am open to being quizzed at the Wikimeet about the new role
based in Edinburgh, the plans we have with MGS and what our joint
expected outcomes will be. MGS have been working on a jobspec for the
role and would hope to be able to share and discuss the details of
that at the Wikimeet too. The job will be for 6-months (terms
negotiable, though the initial preference was for a full time
position) and based at the MGS offices in Edinburgh. As the title
implies this is to help coordinate the logistics of the GLAM programme
in Scotland using MGS's 350+ member organizations (see link) as well
as vitalizing Scotland's Wikimedian culture in general such as
Wiki-meets and other outreach activities.

Links
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Edinburgh_3
* http://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/who-we-are/

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

wheredevelsdare
Fae,

This is great news. Any way we can help remotely?

Kind Regards,
Pranav

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:14:37 +0100
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October
>
> Hi, heads-up,
>
> As we will be finalizing our agreement with Museums Galleries Scotland
> on 30/9 for the recruitment of a Scotland coordinator, Brian McNeil
> and I will be arranging the next Edinburgh wikimeet for the next day,
> Saturday 1st October.
>
> As the budget holder for the coordinator and the point of contact for
> MGS, I am open to being quizzed at the Wikimeet about the new role
> based in Edinburgh, the plans we have with MGS and what our joint
> expected outcomes will be. MGS have been working on a jobspec for the
> role and would hope to be able to share and discuss the details of
> that at the Wikimeet too. The job will be for 6-months (terms
> negotiable, though the initial preference was for a full time
> position) and based at the MGS offices in Edinburgh. As the title
> implies this is to help coordinate the logistics of the GLAM programme
> in Scotland using MGS's 350+ member organizations (see link) as well
> as vitalizing Scotland's Wikimedian culture in general such as
> Wiki-meets and other outreach activities.
>
> Links
> * http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Edinburgh_3
> * http://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/who-we-are/
>
> Cheers,
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Fae-6
> This is great news. Any way we can help remotely?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Pranav

In a month or so when the jobspec is public you may want to ensure it
is widely blogged (esp. on Scottish related culture forums) as there
may be many people with relevant Scottish cultural awareness that may
not live in the UK currently that might be interested in applying for
the 6 month post. Brian has some ideas for an event on 30/9 or 1/10
and I am hoping for e-volunteering opportunities to help, but we are
still negotiating at the moment.

In the meantime, we could do with some comments or advice on our
teeshirt design. These will be used at our Wikimeet and we will
probably arrange a print run next week, so there is time for an
alternative design to be considered if anyone wants to have a crack at
it. See Brian's current proposed version at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_in_Scotland-4.5%22.png

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Bristol 'Wikipedians' taught to edit online encylopaedia

Steve Virgin
A nice story about the amazing work of PigsontheWing's fantastic work for us
in Bristol...

http://www.bristol247.com/2011/09/16/bristol-wikipedians-taught-to-edit-onli
ne-encylopaedia-26319/

Wikipedia came to Bristol yesterday to host free workshops on how to edit
the worldwide online encyclopaedia - all in the name of saving endangered
wildlife.

The Wiki Wildlife Edit-a-thons were organised by Wikimedia UK in
collaboration with Wildscreen's ARKive project, the Bristol-based digital
archive of endangered species throughout the world.

Hosted at the Watershed, the editing sessions allowed Bristolians and beyond
to learn how to set up their own Wikipedia account and play in an online
"sandbox", before getting going on making improvements to main pages on the
encyclopaedia itself.

"This is for everyone," said veteran Wikipedian Steve Woods of Bristol
Wireless. "So many people use Wikipedia, it's only right that they learn how
to edit it too - so that they can put something back into it. There was lots
of enthusiasm and positive energy today, which was great to see."

For the past 10 weeks, "Wikimedia Outreach Ambassador" Andy Mabbett has been
using ARKive's text resources to update Wikipedia articles about endangered
species.

The workshops at Watershed focused on improving the 200 texts about wildlife
that ARKive shared with Wikipedia as part of the project.

It was great to learn how to edit Wikipedia - really exciting," said
Wildscreen's Ellie Dart, who has been helping co-ordinate the project. "The
idea of our working together has been to help make Wikipedia's wildlife
articles more accurate, as well as encouraging more readers to come to
ARKive."

She added that no digital images have been used, only text, in the
collaboration. ARKive is famous for its beautiful pictures, but these are
strictly copyright.

Currently attracting 414 million visitors every month, Wikipedia, part of
the San Francisco-based Wikimedia Foundation, aspires to create "a world in
which every single human being can share in the sum of all human knowledge."

Volunteer writers and editors round the world co-create the resource, and
it's open to anyone to add to or improve it. There are around 100,000 such
volunteers, or "Wikipedians", in the UK.

"This is a wiki-friendly city," said Bristolian and enthusiastic Wikimedia
UK trustee and Board member Dr Martin Poulter. "We already have great
support from Bristol and Bristolians, and things like this Edit-a-thon are
an amazing opportunity for anyone with an interest they want to share with
the world to get involved.

"We're hoping to have many more free events like this in Bristol, and of
course all Bristolians can join in with the Wikipedian community online as
well."

Re: Bristol 'Wikipedians' taught to edit online encylopaedia

Steve Virgin

http://www.bristolwireless.net/2011/09/lifes-wild-editing-wikipedia/

Life’s wild editing Wikipedia

Posted on by woodsy

Yesterday Bristol Wireless volunteers Jim and your correspondent attended the afternoon session of the two Wiki Wildlife Edit-a-thons (news passim) that were jointly organised by Wikimedia UK and Wildscreen’s ARKive project, the Bristol-based digital archive of the world’s endangered species, which has kindly donated its text archive on endangered species to help improve and Wikipedia’s content.

The event, which was held at Bristol’s Watershed, started with introductions on the work of Wildscreen and ARKive from Ellie and Helen, after which it was over to Wikipedians Martin Poulter and Andy Mabbett to introduce Wikipedia and its sister projects.

After any new editors had got themselves set up with a login, Andy then put everyone through a few basic editing exercises, after which we were all let loose on a species of our choice. Jim set about improving the Wikipedia entry for the Black-necked Crane, while your correspondent opted for the Gentoo penguin (these damn zealous Linux types! Ed.)

In spite of the silence that would have been expected at such an event – apart from the gentle tap on keyboards – there was plenty of noise as people discovered that editing Wikipedia can indeed be fun.

All the time the action was being relayed via Twitter with the #glamarkive hashtag by the dedicated social media team of Steve Virgin and Christina Zaba at the back of the room.

A report of the event is also being carried by Bristol247, which describes your ‘umble scribe as a ‘veteran Wikipedian’ (can they say that? Ed.) and even quotes him, as follows:

“This is for everyone,” said veteran Wikipedian Steve Woods of Bristol Wireless. “So many people use Wikipedia, it’s only right that they learn how to edit it too – so that they can put something back into it. There was lots of enthusiasm and positive energy today, which was great to see.”

All told, it was a most enjoyable event at which even seasoned ‘veterans’ such as Andy and myself gained some knowledge.

Searching via the Twitter hashtag mentioned above, I have discovered that the editors for the evening session included BBC people, long-standing and new Wikipedia editors, and a Wildlife Trust staff member. If you can add any more to this very limited information, please feel free use the comments form below

Re: Bristol 'Wikipedians' taught to edit online encylopaedia

Steve Virgin

http://blog.arkive.org/2011/09/arkive-on-the-road-wiki-%E2%80%98wildlife-editathon%E2%80%99-in-bristol-uk/

ARKive on the Road: Wiki ‘Wildlife editathon’ in Bristol, UK

The world’s 5th largest website, Wikipedia, wants to help improve the world’s knowledge of endangered species, and they have to come to ARKive for help.

ARKive has teamed up with Wikimedia UK to hold a ‘Wiki Wildlife Editathon’ on Thursday 15 September in The Watershed Media Centre, Bristol, to offer hints and tips on improving existing Wikipedia species texts and to recruit more volunteer editors to help raise awareness of the world’s endangered species.

The ‘editathon’ aims to encourage many new and existing Wikipedia editors to take part in this special event to help improve Wikipedia’s text articles on endangered plants and animals, such as the intriguing indri and the magnificent manta ray. During the event, participants will use the ARKive website with its collection of over 13,800 multimedia species profiles to help with researching and writing the endangered species texts. Wildscreen’s team of ARKive Species Text Authors will also be on hand to give tips and advice to participants on writing about the wonderful diversity of life on Earth.

The National Archives´ museum tests Wikimedia QR codes

Steve Virgin

The National Archives´ museum tests Wikimedia QR codes   http://www.government-news.co.uk/national-archives/201109/the-national-archives-museum-tests-wikimedia-qr-codes.asp?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Re: The National Archives´ museum tests Wikimedia QR codes

Richard Symonds-3

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/620.htm also has the QR codes story on their site: very impressive!

The National Archives´ museum tests Wikimedia QR codes   http://www.government-news.co.uk/national-archives/201109/the-national-archives-museum-tests-wikimedia-qr-codes.asp?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

wheredevelsdare
inline

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:29:16 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October
>
> > This is great news. Any way we can help remotely?
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Pranav
>
> In a month or so when the jobspec is public you may want to ensure it
> is widely blogged (esp. on Scottish related culture forums) as there
> may be many people with relevant Scottish cultural awareness that may
> not live in the UK currently that might be interested in applying for
> the 6 month post. Brian has some ideas for an event on 30/9 or 1/10
> and I am hoping for e-volunteering opportunities to help, but we are
> still negotiating at the moment.
>
> In the meantime, we could do with some comments or advice on our
> teeshirt design. These will be used at our Wikimeet and we will
> probably arrange a print run next week, so there is time for an
> alternative design to be considered if anyone wants to have a crack at
> it. See Brian's current proposed version at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_in_Scotland-4.5%22.png

The design is great - any chance of having the rampant lion in the background to give a more Scottish feel?

> Cheers,
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Fae-6
If anyone would like to add an alternative notice to the proposed
wikimeet geonotice it would be appreciated. My initial version seems a
bit flat.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GEONOTICE#Edinburgh_Wikimeet

It would be a good idea for the notice to go live later today.

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Andy Mabbett-2
Done; please feel free to tweak.

On 17 September 2011 08:43, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If anyone would like to add an alternative notice to the proposed
> wikimeet geonotice it would be appreciated. My initial version seems a
> bit flat.
> Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GEONOTICE#Edinburgh_Wikimeet
>
> It would be a good idea for the notice to go live later today.
>
> Cheers,
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Harry Burt
> In the meantime, we could do with some comments or advice on our
> teeshirt design. These will be used at our Wikimeet and we will
> probably arrange a print run next week, so there is time for an
> alternative design to be considered if anyone wants to have a crack at
> it. See Brian's current proposed version at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_in_Scotland-4.5%22.png

Is there an SVG version of that available to allow interested editors
to submit tweaks under a separate filename / generally have a play?

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

WereSpielChequers-2
T shirts are great,  but please make sure you have multiple sizes and that you cater for women as well as men.

WSC

On 18 September 2011 12:59, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the meantime, we could do with some comments or advice on our
> teeshirt design. These will be used at our Wikimeet and we will
> probably arrange a print run next week, so there is time for an
> alternative design to be considered if anyone wants to have a crack at
> it. See Brian's current proposed version at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_in_Scotland-4.5%22.png

Is there an SVG version of that available to allow interested editors
to submit tweaks under a separate filename / generally have a play?

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Fae-6
Agreed, though I suggest we take a tip from previous tee-shirt
experiences and buy hardly any small sizes and more XL's...

PS I was kind of assuming that one could get a unisex cut for tee-shirts?

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: [cultural-partners] Info: Edinburgh wikimeet on Saturday 1st October

Richard Symonds-2

Or baseball caps, perhaps – that way they’re visible in public, but still unisex.