Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Leonard Wallentin-2
Is it still possible to install SMW in the old fashioned way? I need to put
SMW on a server where Composer doesn't work...

/Leo
_______________
Leonard Wallentin
http://leowallentin.se

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

egel
Leo,
Unfortunately not. But you can try to run Composer in a local empty map
and copy the resulting files to your server.

--
Met Vriendelijke Zwerversgroeten

Wouter Rademaker

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

James HK

See [0].

[0] https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md#installation-without-shell-access

Cheers

On 2/7/14, Leonard Wallentin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it still possible to install SMW in the old fashioned way? I need to put
> SMW on a server where Composer doesn't work...
>
> /Leo
> _______________
> Leonard Wallentin
> http://leowallentin.se

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Leonard Wallentin-2
Ok, thanks!

_______________
Leonard Wallentin
http://leowallentin.se

> Leo,
> Unfortunately not. But you can try to run Composer in a local empty map
> and copy the resulting files to your server.
>
> > Is it still possible to install SMW in the old fashioned way? I need to
> > put
> > SMW on a server where Composer doesn't work...
> >
> > /Leo
> > _______________
> > Leonard Wallentin
> > http://leowallentin.se
> > mejl@...
>

> --
> Met Vriendelijke Zwerversgroeten
>
> Wouter Rademaker

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

But you can try to run Composer in a local empty map
> and copy the resulting files to your server.

This does work and is in some cases [0] what you have to do when you do not
have shell access or cannot get Composer to work. We probably ought to
document this approach as well. I hope that two things will be created in
the near future to make this process easier than it has ever been:

* An extension installation GUI for people without shell access though with
a (PHP) environment that supports Composer
* A site where one can select a bunch of extensions and their versions and
can then download a tarball for these. Like the SMW tarballs, but then more
flexible and automated

[0] for instance when using both SMW and SubPageList

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Leonard Wallentin-2
Yep, that worked without any problems (I do have shell access, but some
draconian firewall settings that I'm not allowed to touch prevents me from
using Composer), however it turned out that I need to use an older version
of SMW anyway (to get Extension:RDFIO to work), but at least I learned
something new today!

/Leo

_______________
Leonard Wallentin
http://leowallentin.se

> Hey,
>
> But you can try to run Composer in a local empty map
> > and copy the resulting files to your server.
> >

> This does work and is in some cases [0] what you have to do when you do not
> have shell access or cannot get Composer to work. We probably ought to
> document this approach as well. I hope that two things will be created in
> the near future to make this process easier than it has ever been:
>
> * An extension installation GUI for people without shell access though with
> a (PHP) environment that supports Composer
> * A site where one can select a bunch of extensions and their versions and
> can then download a tarball for these. Like the SMW tarballs, but then more
> flexible and automated
>
> [0] for instance when using both SMW and SubPageList
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> http://www.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Larry Silverman
Is there a way to do a dry run, or "what if", with composer to see what it
will update, without actually updating anything?

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Leonard Wallentin
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Yep, that worked without any problems (I do have shell access, but some
> draconian firewall settings that I'm not allowed to touch prevents me from
> using Composer), however it turned out that I need to use an older version
> of SMW anyway (to get Extension:RDFIO to work), but at least I learned
> something new today!
>
> /Leo
>
> _______________
> Leonard Wallentin
> http://leowallentin.se

> > Hey,
> >
> > But you can try to run Composer in a local empty map
> > > and copy the resulting files to your server.
> > >

> > This does work and is in some cases [0] what you have to do when you do
> not
> > have shell access or cannot get Composer to work. We probably ought to
> > document this approach as well. I hope that two things will be created in
> > the near future to make this process easier than it has ever been:
> >
> > * An extension installation GUI for people without shell access though
> with
> > a (PHP) environment that supports Composer
> > * A site where one can select a bunch of extensions and their versions
> and
> > can then download a tarball for these. Like the SMW tarballs, but then
> more
> > flexible and automated
> >
> > [0] for instance when using both SMW and SubPageList
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > --
> > Jeroen De Dauw
> > http://www.bn2vs.com
> > Don't panic. Don't be evil. ~=[,,_,,]:3

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

> Is there a way to do a dry run, or "what if", with composer to see what
it will update, without actually updating anything?

--dry-run

See https://getcomposer.org/doc/03-cli.md

Cheers

--
Jeroen De Dauw
http://www.bn2vs.com

Re: Installing SMW 1.9+ without Composer

Larry Silverman
Ugh. I'm staring at that very page and didn't see it. Thanks, Jeroen.

Larry Silverman
Chief Technology Officer
TrackAbout, Inc.