Installing a template (??)

John van V.-2
Hi all,

"installing a template mediawiki" produces about 40,000 pages on google, yet
none tells me how to install a template (??) least of all the template
manual on wikimedia.

Can someone please point me to text telling me how it works?

TIA, John

Real time wiki page editing problem

Mohammad Towfiqul Islam
Hello all,

If anybody know the solution of this problem I would be grateful:

I have a wiki but when one wiki page is open and editing by several users at that time few users are facing data lost kind of things as well when they are trying to save their wiki page thay cant save their page or wiki automatically logged off.

Is there a way to edit a wiki page in real time by several users and no body will face data lost kind of things?

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
-Towfiq

Re: Installing a template (??)

Brianna Laugher
2008/9/3 John van V. <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> "installing a template mediawiki" produces about 40,000 pages on google, yet
> none tells me how to install a template (??) least of all the template
> manual on wikimedia.
>
> Can someone please point me to text telling me how it works?

If there is a template on Wikipedia you want to use on your wiki:

METHOD 1
1. Go to the template page (if you find it in an article like {{foo}}
or {{foo|.....}}, type "template:foo" in the search box).
2. Click edit.
3. Copy all the text from the edit box into a template page with
whatever name you want on your wiki.
4. Keeping the original edit box open, scroll down and look for a list
under a heading "Pages transcluded onto the current version of this
page:". Any template here will also need to be copied to your wiki.
5. As a minimum you will very likely need to install the extension
ParserFunctions.
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions> Less likely,
but other extensions you may need are Cite, Imagemap and EasyTimeline.
See the full list of Wikipedia-installed extensions here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version>

METHOD 2

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Installing a template (??)

Brianna Laugher
Sorry, I hit the wrong button!

2008/9/3 Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]>:
> METHOD 2

Go to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ExpandTemplates> and in
the "Input text:" box, put an example of the template call as you
would like to use it.
e.g. "{{see also|test}}"
If you just put "{{see also}}" it will expand to an error message!
Probably you will want to do this but also look at the source of the
template to try and get a feel for how it worked.

Note: if you want your templates to look the same as Wikipedia's, you
will almost certainly need to add some CSS to your wiki. In this
example with [[template:see also]], it has "<span class="boilerplate
seealso">", so I need to find the definitions for boilerplate and
seealso.
The splace to look are
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Monobook.css (Monobook is the
default skin)
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Catalogue_of_CSS_classes
(looks very useful but is probably out of date)

...Having said that, I just had a look and I couldn't find boilerplate
or seealso, so... I give up :) Maybe they are relics that are now
having no effect.
The Firefox add-on Firebug can be extremely useful in locating CSS definitions.

Hope this helps,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Real time wiki page editing problem

Dave Sigafoos
I don't believe there is.  Remember that there is no locking as such going on.

The best answer we have found, when dealing with pages that may users may be editing for some time (collisions), is to put a 'underconstruction' graphic on the page.  That will warn the next user that brings up the page that someone is working on the page.

This works if a lot of work/time is being put into a page.

The other option is to learn how to merge well

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation
PICK Guy