Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Eranga Mapa
Hi Sumanah
Did you recieved the mail I sent to u regarding my extension to synchronize
video with other content?
By the way I am hoping to hear soon from James regarding Integrating "who's
been awesome?" to MediaWiki.

Thanks

Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Student Member IEEE

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Sumana Harihareswara-2
On 03/06/2012 05:39 AM, Eranga Mapa wrote:

> Hi Sumanah
> Did you recieved the mail I sent to u regarding my extension to synchronize
> video with other content?
> By the way I am hoping to hear soon from James regarding Integrating "who's
> been awesome?" to MediaWiki.
>
> Thanks
>
> Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
> University of Moratuwa
> Student Member IEEE

Eranga,

Thanks for writing!  Yes, I did get your email on the 3rd but have not
had time to respond to it yet; my apologies.

James, please do share your notes and mockups.  Thanks!

The text of the email, for the benefit of the list, with my responses
inline:

> I need help on MediaWiki mailing lists. I don't see our discussion
> "Integrating 'who's been awesome?'" as a seperate thread. I only get a mail
> as Wikitech-I Digest which includes replies for all the threads. Currently
> im using Gossamer threads to view discussions in separate threads .I tried
> to send this mail to Wikitech-I with the same subject. But I got a reply
> from wikitech-l-owner that my mail is unprocessed. Therefore  I'm sending
> this mail to your personal email addresses. Sorry about that.

I am guessing that the problem was that you tried to send big
attachments.  This list doesn't allow that.  As you see, your most
recent email made it in fine.  You can change your preferences by
logging in at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l to
leave digest mode and see mail as individual threads.

> My MediaWiki extension is to synchronize content such as images and rich
> text with html5 video. It can be used to create rich video lectures. When
> playing a video lecture, set of slides related to it will synchronize and
> play with the video. There are three special pages in my extension. First
> one is to upload or link a video to wiki(still to be developed). Next
> special page is to sample uploaded or linked video and assign
> content(slide) to each sample. Third one is to view the video and content
> attached to it.
>
> Currently I'm developing it in my local machine and still i don't have
> commit access to svn. Therefore I'm sorry. Because its hard for me to give
> a link to my extension.

Go ahead and request a Git repository via this procedure:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/New_repositories First you'll need a
Wikimedia Labs account, and I'll need from you:

     Preferred wiki username. This will also be your git username, so
legal name would be reasonable
    Preferred email address
    Preferred shell account name (lowercase letters and numbers only)

Then you can put your code where we can see it! :-)

> But you can see some screenshots of my extension.
>
> Video sampling and content assigning special page
> [image: Inline images 1]
>
> Video viewing special page
> [image: Inline images 2]

If you tell me your mediawiki.org username then I can ensure that you
can upload those screenshots to mediawiki.org so everyone can see them. :-)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Eranga Mapa
Hi Sumanah,
Thanks for the reply.
I fixed my mailing list problem. It's better now :-)

Following are the details you asked from me.

For Git account
Preferred wiki username - erangamapa
Preferred email address - [hidden email]
Preferred shell account name - mapahere

For extension page
My MediaWiki org username - erangamapa

--

Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Student Member IEEE

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

James Alexander-4
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay  (I've been swamped getting the store up and running).
I still want to write up a bit more for you to understand why I'm looking
for stuff but I did want to at least attach the mockup I made a while ago :)

James

--
James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

James Alexander-4
And sorry wikitech :) if you didn't figure it out already this wasn't meant for the whole list (thought I was on a private thread).

Carry on!

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Manager - Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 415-839-6885 x6716

On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:51 PM, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > [image: Inline images 2]
>
> If you tell me your mediawiki.org username then I can ensure that you
> can upload those screenshots to mediawiki.org so everyone can see them. :-)
>
> > Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
> > University of Moratuwa
> > Student Member IEEE
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Volunteer Development Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation
>

> --
>

> Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
> University of Moratuwa
> Student Member IEEE
>

> --
> James Alexander
> Manager, Merchandise
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur
>
> <JamesAlexanderMerchProposal.pdf>

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Hi James,
Nice to hear from you. Thanks for your UI mockup. I went through it and got
an idea about the functionality needed. I will describe what I understood
by using a simple scenario.
Suppose there is a user who has done 99 edits to a wiki. When he do his
100th edit and save it, he will be moved to a page with saved article. Then
a link will appear in the top navigation bar in that page mentioning "Know
an editor who deserves a reward?" (Now this user has done 100 edits.
Therefore, whenever this user edit an article and save it, this link will
appear) . When user clicks this link, a popup box with praising interface
will appear. Then user can praise for another user and submit. After that
thanks interface will appear in the popup box.

 If user clicks "No thanks"  from praising interface, user will be moved to
no thanks interface. In there if user clicks on "No thanks, please don't
ask me again", reward link will not appear in next edits by that user. If
he clicks on
"Please let me know next time", praising will be ignored only for this
edit.

I have few questions

1. In your first UI mockup(MerchTool1), in yellow tag what do you mean by
"when feed back is turned"?

2. What will happen when user clicks on "I just need a bit more time,
please keep the banner up now" in no thanks interface?

Thanks

On 19 March 2012 20:57, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> can upload those screenshots to mediawiki.org so everyone can see them.
>>> :-)

>>> --
>>> Sumana Harihareswara
>>> Volunteer Development Coordinator
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
>> University of Moratuwa
>> Student Member IEEE
>>

> --
> James Alexander
> Manager, Merchandise
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur
>
>  <JamesAlexanderMerchProposal.pdf>

--

Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Student Member IEEE

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

I need to clarify some things about MerchTool. It will be great if you and
I can have a IRC session to discuss about this.
These days I am working on my project proposal and I am planning on writing
an extension for this.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks!

--

Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
University of Moratuwa
Student Member IEEE

Re: Integrating "who's been awesome?" to MedaiWiki

Eranga Mapa
Hi All,
I have created a full project proposal for extension Editor Rewards
(Integrating "who's been awesome?").
It will be great if you can tell what is missing in it.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Erangamapa/mygsoc

Thanks