Interesting research?

Andrew Gray-3
Hi all,

A speculative question: what's the most novel, thought-provoking, or
otherwise interesting piece of research you've seen, either

a) using information from Wikipedia (ie extracted text), or
b) looking at Wikipedia itself as a subject?

I'm giving a talk next month which will cover research about/with WP
and other WM projects, and I'm curious to know what people think would
be most interesting as examples. I've a few, but the things I find
interesting are often unusual :-)

Suggestions appreciated!

- Andrew Gray

Re: Interesting research?

Bob the Wikipedian
Awhile back I found an interesting lecture by Luca de Alfaro on YouTube
called How (Much) To Trust Wikipedia. It deals with methods of figuring
out whether to trust information within an article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6mB4soRlR8

Another interesting work is "How Wikipedia Works"-- a book by Wikipedia
editors Phoebe, Charles Matthews, and the late Tlogmer. It has several
exciting stories, such as the one about a stub created by Jimbo that was
deleted within minutes.

Bob

On 2/18/2013 9:10 AM, Andrew Gray wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A speculative question: what's the most novel, thought-provoking, or
> otherwise interesting piece of research you've seen, either
>
> a) using information from Wikipedia (ie extracted text), or
> b) looking at Wikipedia itself as a subject?
>
> I'm giving a talk next month which will cover research about/with WP
> and other WM projects, and I'm curious to know what people think would
> be most interesting as examples. I've a few, but the things I find
> interesting are often unusual :-)
>
> Suggestions appreciated!
>
> Thanks,

Re: Interesting research?

Andrew Gray-3
Delightfully, it turns out that someone had done exactly this months
ago, and is now running a contest to pick the best:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/02/19/vote-most-exciting-research-about-wikipedia/

Thanks for the other suggestions,

- Andrew.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Interesting research?

sheenagupta78
hii, i think people use it more for a reference purpose, whenever we need to confirm of the facts, generally we google that , and in case if wikipedia link exists there then rather then browsing any other site , i personally prefer to open wikipedia, as that is most reliable and accurate as compared to any other source of information. Recently i have seen many educational sites that are using wikipedia as there reference link