Interwiki inline queries

Jan Makovička
Hello guys,

please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show) on
first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
the second wiki?

Thanks  a lot.

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Karima Rafes-3
Hi

You can install linkedWiki and show the result #sparql of your wiki 1 on the
wiki 2.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LinkedWiki

Bye.

 <http://www.bordercloud.com>
Web 3.0 Hosting & Factory
*Karima Rafes*
mobile : +33 (0)6 89 15 10 64
[hidden email]
245, quai de la bataille de Stalingrad
92130 Issy les Moulineaux
BorderCloud.com <http://www.bordercloud.com>
N° siret : 524 353 372 00013

2010/10/14 Jan Makovička <[hidden email]>

> Hello guys,
>

> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show)
> on
> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
> the second wiki?
>

> Thanks  a lot.

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Philipp Zaltenbach

this sounds like something that Exhibit can take care of. Please have a
look at:
http://projects.csail.mit.edu/wibit/wiki/index.php?title=Wibit

regards,
Philipp

Am 14.10.2010 11:47, schrieb Jan Makovička:

> Hello guys,
>

> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show) on
> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
> the second wiki?
>

> Thanks  a lot.

Philipp Zaltenbach
Sales
ontoprise GmbH – know how to use Know-how
- - -
Halo Extension - Want to get involved? http://smwforum.ontoprise.com/development
- - -
An der RaumFabrik 29; 76227 Karlsruhe; Germany
Tel.: +49 721 509809-0; Fax: +49 721 509809-11
mailto:[hidden email], www: http://www.ontoprise.com
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Germany, HRB 109540
Managing Directors: Prof. Dr. Juergen Angele, Hans-Peter Schnurr

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Basil Ell
Hi Jan,

I am currently working on an (yet to be released) extension that allows
you to query another semantic mediawiki.

There is a demo wiki available [1].

Best regards,
Basil

[1]
http://www.basil-ell.de/mediawiki/ExternalQueries/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Am 14.10.2010 11:47, schrieb Jan Makovička:

> Hello guys,
>

> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show) on
> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
> the second wiki?
>

> Thanks  a lot.

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Yaron Koren

It's great to see the growing number of solutions to this
(increasingly common?) problem. Since everyone is plugging their
extensions, let me note that this is also possible using the External
Data extension:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data

Here's an example of a page that uses External Data to display values
from another wiki's SMW data:

http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Germany

-Yaron

2010/10/14 Jan Makovička <[hidden email]>:

> Hello guys,
>

> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show) on
> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
> the second wiki?
>

> Thanks  a lot.

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Yaron Koren
I just realized that that page uses #get_web_data, a new function that
isn't in the documentation yet. You can see here for the version that
uses #get_external_data instead - that's the very similar function
that has been in place for a long time:

http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&oldid=11107

-Yaron

2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> It's great to see the growing number of solutions to this
> (increasingly common?) problem. Since everyone is plugging their
> extensions, let me note that this is also possible using the External
> Data extension:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data
>
> Here's an example of a page that uses External Data to display values
> from another wiki's SMW data:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Germany
>
> -Yaron
>

> 2010/10/14 Jan Makovička <[hidden email]>:
>> Hello guys,
>>

>> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query (#show) on
>> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or some
>> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties of
>> the second wiki?
>>

>> Thanks  a lot.

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Yury Katkov
Hello!
On a related issue - is it possible to ask another wiki about the number of
articles it contains?

2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>

> I just realized that that page uses #get_web_data, a new function that
> isn't in the documentation yet. You can see here for the version that
> uses #get_external_data instead - that's the very similar function
> that has been in place for a long time:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&oldid=11107
>
> -Yaron
>
> 2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's great to see the growing number of solutions to this
> > (increasingly common?) problem. Since everyone is plugging their
> > extensions, let me note that this is also possible using the External
> > Data extension:
> >
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data
> >
> > Here's an example of a page that uses External Data to display values
> > from another wiki's SMW data:
> >
> > http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Germany
> >
> > -Yaron
> >

> > 2010/10/14 Jan Makovička <[hidden email]>:
> >> Hello guys,
> >>

> >> please, if I have two wikis, is there a way to run a inline query
> (#show) on
> >> first wiki which will lookup up in properties of the second wiki? Or
> some
> >> other way how I can run queries from first wiki searching in properties
> of
> >> the second wiki?
> >>

> >> Thanks  a lot.

> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Yaron Koren
Hi,

I don't think so, but you can at least get the approximate number of
pages in SMW-enabled namespaces, with a query like:

{{#ask:[[Modification date::+]]|format=count}}

-Yaron

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Katkov Juriy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
> On a related issue - is it possible to ask another wiki about the number of
> articles it contains?
>

> 2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I just realized that that page uses #get_web_data, a new function that
>> isn't in the documentation yet. You can see here for the version that
>> uses #get_external_data instead - that's the very similar function
>> that has been in place for a long time:
>>
>> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&oldid=11107
>>
>> -Yaron
>>
>> 2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It's great to see the growing number of solutions to this
>> > (increasingly common?) problem. Since everyone is plugging their
>> > extensions, let me note that this is also possible using the External
>> > Data extension:
>> >
>> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data
>> >
>> > Here's an example of a page that uses External Data to display values
>> > from another wiki's SMW data:
>> >
>> > http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Germany
>> >
>> > -Yaron

>> > --
>> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com
>> >

>> --
>> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hey,

You can get the page count from SMW installs via Special:ExportRDF?stats.
See this example [0].

[0] http://mapping.referata.com/wiki/Special:ExportRDF?stats

Cheers
--
Jeroen De Dauw
* http://blog.bn2vs.com

On 15 October 2010 16:29, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think so, but you can at least get the approximate number of
> pages in SMW-enabled namespaces, with a query like:
>
> {{#ask:[[Modification date::+]]|format=count}}
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Katkov Juriy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > On a related issue - is it possible to ask another wiki about the number
> of
> > articles it contains?
> >

> > 2010/10/14 Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> I just realized that that page uses #get_web_data, a new function that
> >> isn't in the documentation yet. You can see here for the version that
> >> uses #get_external_data instead - that's the very similar function
> >> that has been in place for a long time:
> >>
> >> http://discoursedb.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&oldid=11107
> >>
> >> -Yaron

> properties

> >> --
> >> WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Laurent Alquier-2
Or if you can place your categories under a top level category, you can
create a simple page with this query :

{{#ask:[[Category::Top level]]|format=count}}

And then call that page from a remote wiki using the External Data
extension.

- Laurent

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> You can get the page count from SMW installs via Special:ExportRDF?stats.
> See this example [0].
>
> [0] http://mapping.referata.com/wiki/Special:ExportRDF?stats
>
> Cheers
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw
> * http://blog.bn2vs.com
> * http://wiki.bn2vs.com
> Don't panic. Don't be evil. 50 72 6F 67 72 61 6D 6D 69 6E 67 20 34 20 6C 69
> 66 65!
> --
>

> On 15 October 2010 16:29, Yaron Koren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't think so, but you can at least get the approximate number of
> > pages in SMW-enabled namespaces, with a query like:
> >
> > {{#ask:[[Modification date::+]]|format=count}}
> >
> > -Yaron
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Katkov Juriy <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > > On a related issue - is it possible to ask another wiki about the
> number
> > of
> > > articles it contains?

> External

> values

> Or
> > properties

> > WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

- Laurent Alquier
http://www.linfa.net

Editing articles with forms

Bruce Whealton-3
Hello all,
          I recently started trying out the wikia.com site when I discovered it used Semantic MW forms.  I was using the familypedia.wiki.com area for genealogy wikis.  That is a perfect example for a question that occurs to me.  The naming convention was to use the name of a person followed by (bithdate - deathdate), if the latter applied or leave it blank.  So, for me, I created an article called Bruce_Whealton_(1966-
Then when I entered my father's name, which happens to be the same as mine, I get a page that is just Bruce_Whealton.  What I mean is that when I view my page, my article about me, I can click on the box for my father and edit him, but I then see that I am editing Bruce_Whealton.  That’s not going to be good.  I need a more specific way of doing this.  Clearly I am missing something and I cannot find it in the documentation.
          This is the kind of scenario that has been going through my mind as I thought of doing this on a different site and saw the potential for article names that are not specific enough.  How would this be handled?  Perhaps, if I can get an idea as to how it is handled by familypedia.wiki.com I'll have an idea.

A related issue that almost might need to go in a different thread... but...  Suppose you wanted to have a couple fields that are for listing friends and their website homepage.  Some people might create an article with 3 friends and the next person might come along with 6 friends in mind to include in their article.  Somehow the use of forms would have to allow for x number of fields - which is done sometimes.  For example when working with attachments, you might have an option to attach more files and when you click that you get another row or input box.  Can that be done with the SMW forms?
Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Editing articles with forms in Familypedia

Robin Patterson
I expect Bruce has now found the instruction that says "For each parent,
spouse, or child, the name should be the existing or future page name,
including date(s)." It's part of the page one reaches from  "Help: Creating
articles", link 3 on the sidebar.

Robin F Patterson
Plimmerton, Porirua City, New Zealand
http://genealogy.wikia.com/wiki/User:Robin_Patterson

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Editing articles with forms in Familypedia

Bruce Whealton-3
Exactly.  I was going to explain the confusion I had but first...
Thanks for fixing my page, Robin.  Please explain how you did that... the workflow... thanks.
And I'm not sure if the best workflow is to have the person view an existing page, such as the page I created for myself... and then in the case of the Familypedia.wikia.com a genealogy site, I would click on my father's name when viewing my article/page.  For that to work, and maybe I'm missing something, but the new page created would have to automatically be created with that (birthdate - deathdate) appended after the name, to distinguish the page/article and in this case, about a person.   When you fill in the fields and enter a parent name, it shows up on my page in the info box.  Many people will try to click on that to create a new page/article, but it won't conform to the naming convention.  It is critical that it does conform for this to work.  Since this site has been successful for some time, it seems that I am missing something or using an incorrect workflow.  In Mediawiki when you see a link to a page that isn't created, you click on it to create the new page in the editor.
Can someone check out my page please?
My id on wikia.com is brucewhealton
My page that I created about me is here: http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_Whealton_Jr_(1966-)
My category page is here: http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Whealton_(surname)
Bruce

Re: Interwiki inline queries

Yury Katkov
1. Now I decided to to use External data extension with the 'render'
parameter.
Code on the first wiki:

{{#get_web_data:
|url=<url_of_second_wiki/index.php?title=NUMBEROFARTICLES_PAGE&action=render>
}}

Meanwhile I created NUMBEROFARTICLES_PAGE on the second wiki with only one
line:
{{NUMBEROFARTICLES}}

2. Аn alternative solution could be to use Special:Statistics with
'action=raw' parameter.