Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Rammanoj Potla
Hello folks,

I am happy to introduce you to the first version of WikiContrib
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/>. WikiContrib is a developer
metrics tool which can be used to view a developer’s contributions on
Phabricator and Gerrit. This tool was initially designed keeping a
Wikimedia Hackathon scholarship committee in mind and with the hope that
the tool will make it easier for them to decide on a candidate’s
application. All community members can also use the tool to learn more
about the contributions of fellow Wikimedians or discover their own!

I developed the WikiContrib tool as part of my Google Summer of Code
project with guidance and support from my mentors Suchakra Sharma
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/Tuxology/> and Srishti Sethi
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/srishakatux/>.

Here are some relevant links:

   -

   Tool is hosted on Toolforge https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/
   -

   Source code is available on GitHub
   https://github.com/wikimedia/WikiContrib/
   -

   Link to my Phabricator proposal https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220254
   -

   Learn how to use the tool
   https://wikicontrib.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Usage.html

Try the tool, and if you encounter any bugs or have any feature requests,
please file them in the GitHub repository! For anything else, you can
comment on the Phabricator proposal.

Looking forward to your response!

Thanks,
Rammanoj potla

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Kosta Harlan
This is cool, nice work and thanks for sharing this!

Kosta

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 5:24 AM, Rammanoj Potla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>

> I am happy to introduce you to the first version of WikiContrib
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/>. WikiContrib is a developer
> metrics tool which can be used to view a developer’s contributions on
> Phabricator and Gerrit. This tool was initially designed keeping a
> Wikimedia Hackathon scholarship committee in mind and with the hope that
> the tool will make it easier for them to decide on a candidate’s
> application. All community members can also use the tool to learn more
> about the contributions of fellow Wikimedians or discover their own!
>

> I developed the WikiContrib tool as part of my Google Summer of Code
> project with guidance and support from my mentors Suchakra Sharma
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/Tuxology/> and Srishti Sethi
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/srishakatux/>.
>

> Here are some relevant links:
>
>   -
>
>   Tool is hosted on Toolforge https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/
>   -
>
>   Source code is available on GitHub
>   https://github.com/wikimedia/WikiContrib/
>   -
>
>   Link to my Phabricator proposal https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220254
>   -
>
>   Learn how to use the tool
>   https://wikicontrib.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Usage.html
>

> Try the tool, and if you encounter any bugs or have any feature requests,
> please file them in the GitHub repository! For anything else, you can
> comment on the Phabricator proposal.
>

> Looking forward to your response!
>

> Thanks,
> Rammanoj potla

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Strainu
Hey Rammanoj,

Not sure if it isn't just my internet connection, but I can't seem to make
the service work on my phone (Android 9 with Opera). It always seems to get
stuck after I hit search.

Is it supposed to work on mobile?

Thanks,
  Strainu

Pe joi, 5 septembrie 2019, Rammanoj Potla <[hidden email]> a
scris:

> Hello folks,
>

> I am happy to introduce you to the first version of WikiContrib
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/>. WikiContrib is a developer
> metrics tool which can be used to view a developer’s contributions on
> Phabricator and Gerrit. This tool was initially designed keeping a
> Wikimedia Hackathon scholarship committee in mind and with the hope that
> the tool will make it easier for them to decide on a candidate’s
> application. All community members can also use the tool to learn more
> about the contributions of fellow Wikimedians or discover their own!
>

> I developed the WikiContrib tool as part of my Google Summer of Code
> project with guidance and support from my mentors Suchakra Sharma
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/Tuxology/> and Srishti Sethi
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/srishakatux/>.
>

> Here are some relevant links:
>
>    -
>
>    Tool is hosted on Toolforge https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/
>    -
>
>    Source code is available on GitHub
>    https://github.com/wikimedia/WikiContrib/
>    -
>
>    Link to my Phabricator proposal https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T220254
>    -
>
>    Learn how to use the tool
>    https://wikicontrib.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Usage.html
>

> Try the tool, and if you encounter any bugs or have any feature requests,
> please file them in the GitHub repository! For anything else, you can
> comment on the Phabricator proposal.
>

> Looking forward to your response!
>

> Thanks,
> Rammanoj potla

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Andre Klapper-2
On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 21:38 +0300, Strainu wrote:
> Not sure if it isn't just my internet connection, but I can't seem to make
> the service work on my phone (Android 9 with Opera). It always seems to get
> stuck after I hit search.
>
> Is it supposed to work on mobile?

Maybe related to current network issues that Wikimedia is facing.

WikiContrib works on my mobile phone. I get results after clicking the
magnifier icon (but I'm neither using Opera nor Android).

andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

יגאל חיטרון-2
Hi. So, it's not just me. I tried multiple times, on desktop and tablet,
and it never succeeded.
Igal

בתאריך יום ו׳, 6 בספט׳ 2019, 23:31, מאת Andre Klapper ‏<
[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 21:38 +0300, Strainu wrote:
> > Not sure if it isn't just my internet connection, but I can't seem to
> make
> > the service work on my phone (Android 9 with Opera). It always seems to
> get
> > stuck after I hit search.
> >
> > Is it supposed to work on mobile?
>
> Maybe related to current network issues that Wikimedia is facing.
>
> WikiContrib works on my mobile phone. I get results after clicking the
> magnifier icon (but I'm neither using Opera nor Android).
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Moriel Schottlender-2
This project is great -- super awesome work, Rammanoj -- I hope you've
enjoyed the internship and that it gave you a taste of sticking around as a
developer in the movement :)
I played around and it's super cool to see a graphical representation of
contributions of one or multiple people.

By the way, Igal, I get results for you:
https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/5hqxB2RtVcsso1BP8Ri8jY3Lkt4nuj1cjZYi5iGXzNYhQYvKaAFcbpRS8iFbCXXg/

So it may have been an intermittent failure, or something related to the
network issues we're facing. Either way, seems to work now :)

‪On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:52 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]> wrote:‬

> Hi. So, it's not just me. I tried multiple times, on desktop and tablet,
> and it never succeeded.
> Igal
>

> בתאריך יום ו׳, 6 בספט׳ 2019, 23:31, מאת Andre Klapper ‏<
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 21:38 +0300, Strainu wrote:
> > > Not sure if it isn't just my internet connection, but I can't seem to
> > make
> > > the service work on my phone (Android 9 with Opera). It always seems to
> > get
> > > stuck after I hit search.
> > >
> > > Is it supposed to work on mobile?
> >
> > Maybe related to current network issues that Wikimedia is facing.
> >
> > WikiContrib works on my mobile phone. I get results after clicking the
> > magnifier icon (but I'm neither using Opera nor Android).
> >
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Moriel Schottlender (she/her)
Senior Software Engineer
Tech Lead | Community Tech and Anti Harassment Tools
Wikimedia Foundation https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

יגאל חיטרון-2
Thank you, Moriel, but I hope I could run it by myself, and not just for
me, I wanted to do this for a dozen of people (you was one of them (-; ).
Igal

בתאריך שבת, 7 בספט׳ 2019, 01:08, מאת Moriel Schottlender ‏<
[hidden email]>:

> This project is great -- super awesome work, Rammanoj -- I hope you've
> enjoyed the internship and that it gave you a taste of sticking around as a
> developer in the movement :)
> I played around and it's super cool to see a graphical representation of
> contributions of one or multiple people.
>
> By the way, Igal, I get results for you:
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikicontrib/5hqxB2RtVcsso1BP8Ri8jY3Lkt4nuj1cjZYi5iGXzNYhQYvKaAFcbpRS8iFbCXXg/
>
> So it may have been an intermittent failure, or something related to the
> network issues we're facing. Either way, seems to work now :)
>
> ‪On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:52 PM ‫יגאל חיטרון‬‎ <[hidden email]> wrote:‬
>
> > Hi. So, it's not just me. I tried multiple times, on desktop and tablet,
> > and it never succeeded.
> > Igal
> >

> > בתאריך יום ו׳, 6 בספט׳ 2019, 23:31, מאת Andre Klapper ‏<
> > [hidden email]>:

> > > make
> > > get

> > > Maybe related to current network issues that Wikimedia is facing.
> > >
> > > WikiContrib works on my mobile phone. I get results after clicking the
> > > magnifier icon (but I'm neither using Opera nor Android).
> > >
> > > andre
> > > --
> > > Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> > > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

> Moriel Schottlender (she/her)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Tech Lead | Community Tech and Anti Harassment Tools
> Wikimedia Foundation https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Strainu
Pe sâmbătă, 7 septembrie 2019, יגאל חיטרון <[hidden email]> a scris:

> Hi. So, it's not just me. I tried multiple times, on desktop and tablet,
> and it never succeeded.
> Igal

After carefully reading the docs I finally figured it out: you need to fill
*all* the fields. This was not obvious to me, especially since I don't use
my full name anywhere in the wikiverse.

The tool now works and I concur it is pretty cool, on par with what other
platforms offer. GG!

Strainu

> בתאריך יום ו׳, 6 בספט׳ 2019, 23:31, מאת Andre Klapper ‏<
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 21:38 +0300, Strainu wrote:
> > > Not sure if it isn't just my internet connection, but I can't seem to
> > make
> > > the service work on my phone (Android 9 with Opera). It always seems to
> > get
> > > stuck after I hit search.
> > >
> > > Is it supposed to work on mobile?
> >
> > Maybe related to current network issues that Wikimedia is facing.
> >
> > WikiContrib works on my mobile phone. I get results after clicking the
> > magnifier icon (but I'm neither using Opera nor Android).
> >
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

יגאל חיטרון-2
Still does not work...
Igal

On Sat, 2019-09-07 at 14:10 +0300, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
> Still does not work...

Feel free to file a bug report under #WikiContrib in Phabricator:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug

Thanks,
andre

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232249

> and making the search button much more prominent compared to the other
> controls. Also maybe making it possible to search by pressing enter in one
> of the text fields.

> It would be particularly awesome (but maybe hard?) to also count Gerrit
> comments/reviews/merges as contributions.

Feel free to file a bug reports under #WikiContrib in Phabricator:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Suchakra
Thanks for your feedback Strainu!

After carefully reading the docs I finally figured it out: you need to fill
> *all* the fields. This was not obvious to me, especially since I don't use
> my full name anywhere in the wikiverse.

Yes, WikiContrib uses the "Full Name" field to allow searching through the
UI when multiple contributors are being queried. Essentially any arbitrary
name can be given in the field in case you don't want the real name to be
given. But you are right, we should notify the user when required fileds
are missing. Please file a bug on the repo
https://github.com/wikimedia/WikiContrib/issues (preferably) or on
Phabricator.

--
Suchakra

Re: Introducing WikiContrib 1.0!

Suchakra
Gergo, thanks for the feedback!

IMO the usability could be improved a lot by removing the little red icon
> from the first row when it is the only one (it seems like some sort of "the
> fields are not filled out correctly" feedback when it is actually just a
> "delete row" button which does not make sense with just one row), and
> making the search button much more prominent compared to the other
> controls. Also maybe making it possible to search by pressing enter in one
> of the text fields.

These are very useful and valid ideas! Can you please file feature requests
and issues here: https://github.com/wikimedia/WikiContrib/issues

> It would be particularly awesome (but maybe hard?) to also count Gerrit
> comments/reviews/merges as contributions.

WikiContrib actually does count both the contributions (Phab + Gerrit) as
total contributions so the total count is correct for the time range
selected. I think there exists a bug in the "contributions timeline view"
though, where colouring of the individual days is not correct sometimes. I
will file a bug for this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

--
Suchakra