Introducing myself, my project and asking for a bit of help

Introducing myself, my project and asking for a bit of help

Chris Sakkas
Hi all,

My name's Chris. I'm interested in free and open culture - in particular,
identifying, cataloguing and tagging free and open works so that others can
use, share and adapt them.

I've done this since 2009 on a couple of Wikidot wikis, but the system is
showing its age and I decided to transfer the whole project over to
Semantic MediaWiki. You can see the current wiki here:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com; and the new wiki here:
http://faow.referata.com

I don't have a programming or IT background, so it's been a struggle at
times, but there's some very helpful documentation out there.

If you have any suggestions just from looking at http://faow.referata.com,
please tell me! In particular, I'm struggling with two problems I was
hoping that you could help me with:

*1.*
If you go to http://faow.referata.com/wiki/Lady_Blackbird, you'll see that
under the heading Versions there's an attempt to create a hyperlink with
one result from a query to provide the URL and another result to provide
the name of the link. However, the URL becomes a hyperlink in its own right.

*2. *
I have a lot of subobjects, and those subobjects show up on each page via a
query. However, when a tag is empty, it shows up (for example,
"{{{Explanation}}}") instead of just showing up blank. Is there an easy way
to fix this?

Thanks for the great software, folks!

Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*

Re: Introducing myself, my project and asking for a bit of help

kghbln
Heiya Chris,

great that you found your way to Semantic MediaWiki with an project that
is as interesting. I am a bit in a hurry so as to problem 1 this will be
of help: [1]. Have not had a peep at issue 2 though.

Cheers Karsten

[1] http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Displaying_information#URL

Am 29.09.2014 um 10:00 schrieb Chris Sakkas:

> Hi all,
>
> My name's Chris. I'm interested in free and open culture - in particular,
> identifying, cataloguing and tagging free and open works so that others can
> use, share and adapt them.
>
> I've done this since 2009 on a couple of Wikidot wikis, but the system is
> showing its age and I decided to transfer the whole project over to
> Semantic MediaWiki. You can see the current wiki here:
> http://fossilbank.wikidot.com; and the new wiki here:
> http://faow.referata.com
>
> I don't have a programming or IT background, so it's been a struggle at
> times, but there's some very helpful documentation out there.
>
> If you have any suggestions just from looking at http://faow.referata.com,
> please tell me! In particular, I'm struggling with two problems I was
> hoping that you could help me with:
>
> *1.*
> If you go to http://faow.referata.com/wiki/Lady_Blackbird, you'll see that
> under the heading Versions there's an attempt to create a hyperlink with
> one result from a query to provide the URL and another result to provide
> the name of the link. However, the URL becomes a hyperlink in its own right.
>

> *2. *
> I have a lot of subobjects, and those subobjects show up on each page via a
> query. However, when a tag is empty, it shows up (for example,
> "{{{Explanation}}}") instead of just showing up blank. Is there an easy way
> to fix this?
>
> Thanks for the great software, folks!
>
> Chris
>

> *Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
> <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
> <http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
> <https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*

Re: Introducing myself, my project and asking for a bit of help

Schneider, Martin
As for question 2:

This is a MediaWiki issue.
See here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates

Just add a pipe symbol to the parameter, e.g. "{{{Explanation|}}}".

You can also put a default value behind the pipe symbol.

Best regards,
Martin

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----