Introducing myself

richard Cavell
Hi, gang.

#wikipedia-bag on Freenode is a little slow, so I think the list might
give me some more action.

I'm a 33 year old doctor obviously with too much spare time on his
hands.  I've made about 15,000 edits to English Wikipedia manually.
Recently I had the idea of writing a bot to do a few things
automatically.  I'm writing it in C (C99) on an Ubuntu machine.  I've
been coding for 5 days and my bot ought to be making test edits within
a couple of days.

Is anyone else out there using C, or am I the only one crazy enough?

Richard

Re: Introducing myself

Lars Aronsson
On 03/03/2011 05:47 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I've made about 15,000 edits to English Wikipedia manually.
> Recently I had the idea of writing a bot to do a few things
> automatically.  I'm writing it in C (C99) on an Ubuntu machine.

The choice of programming language is all yours.
But why are you writing new software instead of
using the existing pywikipedia framework? Aren't
you bound to reinvent a lot of wheels? Have you
tried to solve your tasks with pywikipedia?

--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Introducing myself

richard Cavell
Hi,

I set myself the task of learning Standard C and this is a project that
allows me to use that knowledge creatively.  Sure I'd love to learn
python too, but I haven't yet.

It's taken me only 5 days to get to a point where my code successfully
test edits in a sandbox.  I'll certainly comb through the python bot
framework for ideas before putting my bot through BRFA.

Richard