Introduction

Egbe Eugene
Hi all,

I am Egbe Eugene. I come from Cameroon and i am quite new to the movement
as a developer. My thought towards contributing to the community is driven
by the impact which the foundation could bring to my country and Africa and
also what i will do in order that the movement be heard around the ends of
my country.

I will also wish to enhance my engineering skills while contributing to the
movement by working on the foundation's projects.

Hope to get more help to get started soonest.

Thanks
EEA

Re: Introduction

Bryan Davis
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Egbe Eugene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am Egbe Eugene. I come from Cameroon and i am quite new to the movement
> as a developer. My thought towards contributing to the community is driven
> by the impact which the foundation could bring to my country and Africa and
> also what i will do in order that the movement be heard around the ends of
> my country.
>
> I will also wish to enhance my engineering skills while contributing to the
> movement by working on the foundation's projects.
>
> Hope to get more help to get started soonest.

Welcome Egbe! We can always use more help from technical contributors,
and its especially nice to see people coming into the technical side
of the movement to hone skills that they can put to use elsewhere in
their lives as well. The
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker wiki
page is a good place to start looking for ways to contribute.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: Introduction

zppix e
Welcome Egbe!!! We are always around on irc at chat.freenode.net in #wikimedia-dev. Hope you enjoy your time as a volunteer developer!
--
Zppix
WMF Volunteer Developer

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 6:25 PM, Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Egbe Eugene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am Egbe Eugene. I come from Cameroon and i am quite new to the movement
>> as a developer. My thought towards contributing to the community is driven
>> by the impact which the foundation could bring to my country and Africa and
>> also what i will do in order that the movement be heard around the ends of
>> my country.
>>
>> I will also wish to enhance my engineering skills while contributing to the
>> movement by working on the foundation's projects.
>>
>> Hope to get more help to get started soonest.
>
> Welcome Egbe! We can always use more help from technical contributors,
> and its especially nice to see people coming into the technical side
> of the movement to hone skills that they can put to use elsewhere in
> their lives as well. The
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker wiki
> page is a good place to start looking for ways to contribute.
>
> Bryan
> --
> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA
> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Introduction

Jan Dittrich
Hi Egbe,

Great to have you on board!

Don’t hesitate to poke people if you have trouble finding or understanding
documentation, we may be already used to its quirks :-)

Jan

--
Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Introduction

Egbe Eugene
Thanks for the warm welcome into the community *All*

I wish to express my desire to participate in this year's summer of code as
i know it is the most rapid way ( apart from the hackathons) to hack the
Foundation projects. For someone as new to the foundation as i am, are
there any projects which could be suggested for me to quickly get about and
straight to work.

Thanks very much
Egbe

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Jan Dittrich <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Egbe,
>
> Great to have you on board!
>
> Don’t hesitate to poke people if you have trouble finding or understanding
> documentation, we may be already used to its quirks :-)
>
> Jan
>

> --
> Jan Dittrich
> UX Design/ User Research

> Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: Introduction

rupert THURNER-2
ha, how embarrassing! i used google to search "wikimedia projects
programming beginner" and google found the beginners guide for python
programmers, which is not what i wanted :)
https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers . then i went
to https://www.wikipedia.org/ and i was lost as well. donation, shop,
help, and, and, and. no programming.

where is this beginners page hidden, and why are google, bing, and
duckduckgo not able to find it?

best,
rupert

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Egbe Eugene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the warm welcome into the community *All*
>
> I wish to express my desire to participate in this year's summer of code as
> i know it is the most rapid way ( apart from the hackathons) to hack the
> Foundation projects. For someone as new to the foundation as i am, are
> there any projects which could be suggested for me to quickly get about and
> straight to work.
>
> Thanks very much
> Egbe
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Jan Dittrich <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Egbe,
>>
>> Great to have you on board!
>>
>> Don’t hesitate to poke people if you have trouble finding or understanding
>> documentation, we may be already used to its quirks :-)

Re: Introduction

Andre Klapper-2
On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 12:23 +0100, rupert THURNER wrote:

> ha, how embarrassing! i used google to search "wikimedia projects
> programming beginner" and google found the beginners guide for python
> programmers, which is not what i wanted :)
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers . then i went
> to https://www.wikipedia.org/ and i was lost as well. donation, shop,
> help, and, and, and. no programming.
>
> where is this beginners page hidden, and why are google, bing, and
> duckduckgo not able to find it?
>

> > On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Egbe Eugene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I wish to express my desire to participate in this year's summer of code as
> > i know it is the most rapid way ( apart from the hackathons) to hack the
> > Foundation projects. For someone as new to the foundation as i am, are
> > there any projects which could be suggested for me to quickly get about and
> > straight to work.

For more information, please see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_programs

Thanks!
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Introduction

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 7:23 AM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> where is this beginners page hidden,

Is https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker what
you're looking for?

> and why are google, bing, and duckduckgo not able to find it?

I don't know. When I try that search on Google the above page shows up as
the 9th result, even in a private browsing session with a different browser
from a different IP.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Introduction

MZMcBride-2
rupert THURNER wrote:
>ha, how embarrassing! i used google to search "wikimedia projects
>programming beginner" and google found the beginners guide for python
>programmers, which is not what i wanted :)
>https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers . then i went
>to https://www.wikipedia.org/ and i was lost as well. donation, shop,
>help, and, and, and. no programming.

In the footer of every Wikimedia wiki, there should be a "Developers" link
that leads to <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute>.

You can see this link at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page#footer>
or <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page#footer> or
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home#footer>. Suggestions for more
places to put this link or better text to make it more obvious are always
welcome, of course. :-)

MZMcBride

Re: Introduction

rupert THURNER-2

wrote:

> where is this beginners page hidden,

Is https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker what
you're looking for?

> and why are google, bing, and duckduckgo not able to find it?

I don't know. When I try that search on Google the above page shows up as
the 9th result, even in a private browsing session with a different browser
from a different IP.

Really? What keywords are you using?

Rupert

Re: Introduction

On 20 March 2017 at 01:03, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the footer of every Wikimedia wiki, there should be a "Developers" link
> that leads to <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute>.
> You can see this link at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page#footer>
> or <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page#footer> or
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home#footer>. Suggestions for more
> places to put this link or better text to make it more obvious are always
> welcome, of course. :-)

+1 !!

- d.

Re: Introduction

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Really? What keywords are you using?

"wikimedia projects programming beginner",[1] just as you said.

[1]:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wikimedia+projects+programming+beginner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)