Inviting researchers to wiki-research-l

Daniel Kinzler
Hello all

From my thesis research, I have a list of about 15 people who have done some
interesting research with and about wikipedia in the last couple of years. I
would suggest to "officially" invite them to this mailing list. Do you think
this is a good idea? And who should do this "officially"?

This also raises once more the question: how and where can we build a common
worspace for wiki research? A mailing list is a good thing to have, but far from
ideal. A Wiki somewhere... maybe? Or should be integrate with Wikiversity?

Perhaps we could set up a bibsomomy group for wiki research too -- there is
already a lot of papers there: <http://www.bibsonomy.org/tag/wikipedia>. A
system with support for tagging, bibtex, etc seems better to me than the flat
list at WP:ACST.

So, what do you think?
-- Daniel

Re: Inviting researchers to wiki-research-l

Daniel Kinzler
As a folow-up to my suggestion to invite researchers to this mailing list, here
are some I was thinking of, along with some titles of the papers they wrote, to
give an impression:

* Andrew Gregorowicz and Mark A. Kramer (MITRE): "Mining a Large-Scale
Term-Concept Network from Wikipedia", 2006
* Kataro Nakayama, Takahiro Hara, and Shojiro Nishio (University of Osaka):
"Wikipedia Mining for an Association Web Thesaurus Construction", 2007
* Rada Mihalcea (University of North Texas): "Using Wikipedia for Automatic Word
Sense Disambiguation", 2007
* E. Gabrilovich and S. Markovich (Israel Institute of Technology): "Computing
Semantic Relatedness using Wikipedia-based Explicit Semantic Analysis", 2007
* Rainer Hammwöhner (Uni Regensburg): "Qualitätsaspekte der Wikipedia", 2007
* Sören Auer and Jens Lehmann (Uni Leipzig): "DBpedia: A Nucleus ofor a Web of
Open Data", 2007
* Michael Strube and Simone Ponzetto (EML Research): "Creating a Knowledge Base
from a Collaboratively Generated Encyclopedia", 2007
* Torsten Zesch and Iryna Gurevych (TU Darmstadt): "Analysis of the Wikipedia
Category Graph for NLP Applications"

I have omitted several of whom I believe that they are already on this list,
including Jakob Voss, Markus Krötzsch, Denny Vrandecic, Gerard Meijssen and
Barend Mons. I believe the people mentioned above could have an interest in this
mailing list, and it would sure be great to hear the latest about their research
from them.

Can you think of any other people you would like to have on this list? Should we
just ask them?

-- Daniel