Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Jon Robson
Is there any way to opt out of Liquid Threads and simply see the
underlying talk page? I really really dislike the interface and it's
been bugging me for some time... mostly due to it's reliance on
JavaScript and links generated to it tend to be broken.

--
Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Brion Vibber-4
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any way to opt out of Liquid Threads and simply see the
> underlying talk page? I really really dislike the interface and it's
> been bugging me for some time... mostly due to it's reliance on
> JavaScript and links generated to it tend to be broken.

LiquidThreads creates a page per post/reply; there's not a single
underlying page.

Keep in mind that LQT is on its way out as well, Flow is coming at some
point.

-- brion

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Jon Robson
Yehhh but that seems like ageeess away.
Is there any intermediate way to access the underlying pages for posts
and replies?

Also playing devils advocate.. if we are moving away from it wouldn't
it be in our interest to stop using and supporting it?

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yehhh but that seems like ageeess away.
> Is there any intermediate way to access the underlying pages for posts
> and replies?

There's probably some way to get that info out and create a JS-driven LQT
UI for mobile... I do notice that LQT has three API modules, which may help.

> Also playing devils advocate.. if we are moving away from it wouldn't
> it be in our interest to stop using and supporting it?

LQT serves a legitimate purpose, which is to be a less shitty discussion
system than plain Talk: pages that actually exists today.

But yeah, IMO Flow's way behind where it should be; it's probably the most
important initiative we've got going other than the Visual Editor and I'd
be happier if it was conveniently done already. :)

-- brion

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Paul Selitskas
Oh, just in case there was no such question on the list yet: will LQT
threads be somehow converted to the Flow format, whatever it is? How would
one access old talks otherwise?

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to opt out of Liquid Threads and simply see the
> > underlying talk page? I really really dislike the interface and it's
> > been bugging me for some time... mostly due to it's reliance on
> > JavaScript and links generated to it tend to be broken.
> >

> LiquidThreads creates a page per post/reply; there's not a single
> underlying page.
>
> Keep in mind that LQT is on its way out as well, Flow is coming at some
> point.
>
> -- brion

З павагай,
Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

David Gerard-2
On 17 July 2013 21:05, Paul Selitskas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, just in case there was no such question on the list yet: will LQT
> threads be somehow converted to the Flow format, whatever it is? How would
> one access old talks otherwise?

This would be a truly wonderful thing, if possible. (Particularly for
those of us running wikis that foolishly adopted LQT.)

- d.

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Erik Bernhardson
Regarding old talk pages,  due to the difficulty of extracting meaning the
appropriate metadata correctly, ever time, from a wiki page we currently
have no plans to migrate those into flow,  they will be available in their
original format for historical and linking purposes.

As for LQT threads,  we hadn't considered it yet but since LQT already has
the appropriate metadata and separation of post content it may be possible
to migrate the data into Flow at a later point in time.

In summary:
    Talk pages: no
    LQT threads: maybe

Erik Bernhardson

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Paul Selitskas <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Oh, just in case there was no such question on the list yet: will LQT
> threads be somehow converted to the Flow format, whatever it is? How would
> one access old talks otherwise?
>

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to opt out of Liquid Threads and simply see the
> > > underlying talk page? I really really dislike the interface and it's
> > > been bugging me for some time... mostly due to it's reliance on
> > > JavaScript and links generated to it tend to be broken.
> > >

> > LiquidThreads creates a page per post/reply; there's not a single
> > underlying page.
> >
> > Keep in mind that LQT is on its way out as well, Flow is coming at some
> > point.
> >
> > -- brion

> З павагай,
> Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
> Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Yuvi Panda
Regarding opting out, from
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LiquidThreads:

To deactivate LiquidThreads on a specific page on a wiki where
LiquidThreads is opt-out add

{{#useliquidthreads:0}}

Should work, though you'll lose the current replies (IIRC)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: Is it possible to opt out of LiquidThreads?

Bináris
2013/7/17 Erik Bernhardson <[hidden email]>

> Regarding old talk pages,  due to the difficulty of extracting meaning the
> appropriate metadata correctly, ever time, from a wiki page we currently
> have no plans to migrate those into flow,  they will be available in their
> original format for historical and linking purposes.

Lucky we. :-)

--
Bináris