Is this possible for creating user accounts like this?

Is this possible for creating user accounts like this?

Ross Xu
Greetings,

I was wondering if user accounts could be created like this ...

When a user creates an account over my MediaWiki, it automatically sends me an email for approval;
Once I have approved the account, it automatically sends an email to the user for the user to activate. The account won't activate until the user clicks a link in the email.

Any idea would be appreciated,
Ross

Re: Is this possible for creating user accounts like this?

Marco 27
Maybe you're looking for
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

Regards.

2009/11/26 Ross Xu <[hidden email]>

> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if user accounts could be created like this ...
>
> When a user creates an account over my MediaWiki, it automatically sends me
> an email for approval;
> Once I have approved the account, it automatically sends an email to the
> user for the user to activate. The account won't activate until the user
> clicks a link in the email.
>
> Any idea would be appreciated,
> Ross

Marco 27
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Marco_27
http://vec.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Marco_27

[Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Pierre Labrecque
Hello !

(me again ;-)

I use Mediawiki 14.1 and the only one skin in use on my wiki is Rilpoint
(http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-mediawik
i-skin)
The other skins are disable via the LocalSettings.php.

In the top right corner, there are several links (user links) : Username, My
Preferences, My Talk, My Watchlist, My Contributions...)

I would like to know if we can hide these links? I just want to keep the
Login or Logout link... Everything else: hide.

Is it possible? If yes, where exactly? (I'm a newbie, so...)

Thanks and advance!

Pierre

--- On Fri, 11/27/09, Marco 27 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe you're looking for
>http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

Yes, the single ConfirmAccount extension does all the tricks.
I have just tested it.
Thanks Marco.
Ross

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Walter Mazza
The simplest (and my recommended) way would be to use CSS to hide the links.
Use something like Firebug[1] for Firefox to inspect the links and get their
ID or class name. Then you can place something like this in your
MediaWiki:Common.css

/* if by ID */
#myTalkLink { display: none; }
/* if by class */
.userLinks { display: none; }

The alternative (and my not recommended) way would be to look at the skin's
PHP file and find where it creates the links and remove it from the code.

I don't use this skin so I unfortunately cannot provide you with the
specific CSS code to add or PHP code to modify. =/

Walter Mazza

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Pierre Labrecque
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello !
>
> (me again ;-)
>
> I use Mediawiki 14.1 and the only one skin in use on my wiki is Rilpoint
> (
> http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-mediawik
> i-skin)
> The other skins are disable via the LocalSettings.php.
>
> In the top right corner, there are several links (user links) : Username,
> My
> Preferences, My Talk, My Watchlist, My Contributions...)
>
> I would like to know if we can hide these links? I just want to keep the
> Login or Logout link... Everything else: hide.
>
> Is it possible? If yes, where exactly? (I'm a newbie, so...)
>
> Thanks and advance!
>
> Pierre

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Walter Mazza
Now with a link to firebug! >.<

[1] Firebug = http://getfirebug.com/

<http://getfirebug.com/>
Walter Mazza

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Walter Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The simplest (and my recommended) way would be to use CSS to hide the
> links. Use something like Firebug[1] for Firefox to inspect the links and
> get their ID or class name. Then you can place something like this in your
> MediaWiki:Common.css
>
> /* if by ID */
> #myTalkLink { display: none; }
> /* if by class */
> .userLinks { display: none; }
>
> The alternative (and my not recommended) way would be to look at the skin's
> PHP file and find where it creates the links and remove it from the code.
>
> I don't use this skin so I unfortunately cannot provide you with the
> specific CSS code to add or PHP code to modify. =/
>
> Walter Mazza
>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Pierre Labrecque <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello !
>>
>> (me again ;-)
>>
>> I use Mediawiki 14.1 and the only one skin in use on my wiki is Rilpoint
>> (
>> http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-mediawik
>> i-skin<http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-mediawiki-skin>
>> )
>> The other skins are disable via the LocalSettings.php.
>>
>> In the top right corner, there are several links (user links) : Username,
>> My
>> Preferences, My Talk, My Watchlist, My Contributions...)
>>
>> I would like to know if we can hide these links? I just want to keep the
>> Login or Logout link... Everything else: hide.
>>
>> Is it possible? If yes, where exactly? (I'm a newbie, so...)
>>
>> Thanks and advance!
>>
>> Pierre

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Pierre Labrecque
Well... I have try what you told me... very interesting !!! but still need
your help...

In Firefox, I have done a right click on My Preferences and choose Inspect
Element. It shows me some html/php/... code... See below.

Could you give me an example (with the code below) of what I should type in
my mediawiki:common.css ? From here, not sure what to do...

Thanks for your time ! I really appreciate it !

<tbody>
<h2>Personal tools</h2>
<ul class="menu">
<li id="pt-userpage">
<a class="new" accesskey="." title="Your user page [.]"
href="/sandbox/index.php?title=User:WikiSysop">WikiSysop</a>
</li>
<li id="pt-mytalk">
<a class="new" accesskey="n" title="Your talk page [n]"
href="/sandbox/index.php?title=User_talk:WikiSysop">My talk</a>
</li>
<li id="pt-preferences">
<a title="Your preferences"
href="/sandbox/index.php?title=Special:Preferences">My preferences</a>
</li>
<li id="pt-watchlist">
<a accesskey="l" title="The list of pages you are monitoring for changes
[l]" href="/sandbox/index.php?title=Special:Watchlist">My watchlist</a>
</li>
<li id="pt-mycontris">
<a accesskey="y" title="List of your contributions [y]"
href="/sandbox/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/WikiSysop">My
contributions</a>
</li>
<li id="pt-logout">
<a title="Log out"
href="/sandbox/index.php?title=Special:UserLogout&returnto=Main_Page">Log
out</a>
</li>
</ul>
</tbody>

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Walter Mazza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The simplest (and my recommended) way would be to use CSS to hide the
> links. Use something like Firebug[1] for Firefox to inspect the links and
> get their ID or class name. Then you can place something like this in your
> MediaWiki:Common.css
>
> /* if by ID */
> #myTalkLink { display: none; }
> /* if by class */
> .userLinks { display: none; }
>
> The alternative (and my not recommended) way would be to look at the
skin's

> PHP file and find where it creates the links and remove it from the code.
>
> I don't use this skin so I unfortunately cannot provide you with the
> specific CSS code to add or PHP code to modify. =/
>
> Walter Mazza
>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Pierre Labrecque <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello !
>>
>> (me again ;-)
>>
>> I use Mediawiki 14.1 and the only one skin in use on my wiki is Rilpoint
>> (

http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-mediawik

i-skin<http://www.rilnet.com/en/rilpoint-sharepoint-look-alike-drupal-and-me
diawiki-skin>

>> )
>> The other skins are disable via the LocalSettings.php.
>>
>> In the top right corner, there are several links (user links) : Username,
>> My
>> Preferences, My Talk, My Watchlist, My Contributions...)
>>
>> I would like to know if we can hide these links? I just want to keep the
>> Login or Logout link... Everything else: hide.
>>
>> Is it possible? If yes, where exactly? (I'm a newbie, so...)
>>
>> Thanks and advance!
>>
>> Pierre

14:42:00

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Jean-Marc van Leerdam
Hi Pierre,

2009/11/27 Pierre Labrecque <[hidden email]>:

> <tbody>
> <h2>Personal tools</h2>
> <ul class="menu">
> <li id="pt-userpage">
> <a class="new" accesskey="." title="Your user page [.]"
> href="/sandbox/index.php?title=User:WikiSysop">WikiSysop</a>
> </li>
> <li id="pt-mytalk">

The ID's are listed in the <li> tags. Add them to the
MediaWiki:Common.css as Walter suggested. For example to hide the link
to the talk page, add

#pt-mytalk { display: none; }

But keep in mind that this does not prevent access to the talk page,
it only hides the link. The HTML sourcecode for the page will still
contain the link and the user is also able to enter the link directly
in the browser.

Jean-Marc
--
.       ___
.  @@  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Pierre Labrecque

First of all : many thanks to Walter and Jean-Marc !

Here are the steps I have done (and problems):

First, I have add these lines to the Mediawiki:Common.css (with no result...
and yes, I have refresh the page, etc...)

#pt-userpage { display: none; }
#pt-mytalk { display: none; }
#pt-preferences { display: none; }
#pt-watchlist { display: none; }
#pt-mycontris { display: none; }

As it didn't work, I have remove the lines, so my Mediawiki:Common.css was
empty.

Then I have add the same lines in my \skins\RilPoint\style.css: with no
result. So I remove the lines from \skins\RilPoint\style.css

For an unknown reason (God helped me), I have try the following:
I have add these lines in Mediawiki:Common.css, with no result again...

#topnav #pt-userpage { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-mytalk { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-preferences { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-watchlist { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-mycontris { display: none; }

I have remove the lines, so my Mediawiki:Common.css was empty.

Finally, I have add the same lines in \skins\RilPoint\style.css and... it
works ! :

#topnav #pt-userpage { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-mytalk { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-preferences { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-watchlist { display: none; }
#topnav #pt-mycontris { display: none; }

Last step was to add $wgShowIPinHeader = false; in my LocalSettings.php and
all I have now is the Login or the Logout link.

I can't understand why it didn't work via the Mediawiki:Common.css, but
anyway, it works now !

Many thanks guys!

Pierre

2009/11/27 Pierre Labrecque <[hidden email]>:

> <tbody>
> <h2>Personal tools</h2>
> <ul class="menu">
> <li id="pt-userpage">
> <a class="new" accesskey="." title="Your user page [.]"
> href="/sandbox/index.php?title=User:WikiSysop">WikiSysop</a>
> </li>
> <li id="pt-mytalk">

The ID's are listed in the <li> tags. Add them to the
MediaWiki:Common.css as Walter suggested. For example to hide the link
to the talk page, add

#pt-mytalk { display: none; }

But keep in mind that this does not prevent access to the talk page,
it only hides the link. The HTML sourcecode for the page will still
contain the link and the user is also able to enter the link directly
in the browser.

Jean-Marc
--
.       ___
.  @@  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
. (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
.   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
.   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

14:42:00

Re: [Mediawiki] Rilpoint skin : how to hide user links

Platonides
Pierre Labrecque wrote:
> I can't understand why it didn't work via the Mediawiki:Common.css, but
> anyway, it works now !
>
> Many thanks guys!
>
> Pierre

Looks like RilPoint skin doesn't honor Mediawiki:Common.css