JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Torsten Zesch

               JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library

             version 0.3 beta is now available

        http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL

INTRODUCTION

Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
application programming interface, that enables the use of
Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
access to the knowledge therein.

FUNCTIONALITY

Fast access to:
 * article text
 * categories
 * redirects
 * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).

Discrimination between
 * article pages
 * disambiguation pages
 * redirect pages.

Available languages:
 * English
 * German
 * Czech
 * Ukrainian

Other languages will be added step by step.

DOWNLOAD

JWPL Java library
http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL

Wikipedia data
(with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/tud/informatik/JWPL_data

LICENCE

JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.

ABOUT

JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.

http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Jimmy Wales
Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
Foundation could use it?

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:

>                JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>
>              version 0.3 beta is now available
>
>         http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
> application programming interface, that enables the use of
> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
> access to the knowledge therein.
>

> FUNCTIONALITY
>
> Fast access to:
>  * article text
>  * categories
>  * redirects
>  * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>
> Discrimination between
>  * article pages
>  * disambiguation pages
>  * redirect pages.
>
> Available languages:
>  * English
>  * German
>  * Czech
>  * Ukrainian
>
> Other languages will be added step by step.
>

> DOWNLOAD
>
> JWPL Java library
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>
> Wikipedia data
> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
> ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/tud/informatik/JWPL_data
>

> LICENCE
>
> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>

> ABOUT
>
> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.
>
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Brian J Mingus
Pywikipediabot provides this functionality under a free license.

/Brian

On 7/2/07, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
Foundation could use it?

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:

>                JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>
>              version 0.3 beta is now available
>
>         http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
> application programming interface, that enables the use of
> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
> access to the knowledge therein.
>

> FUNCTIONALITY
>
> Fast access to:
>  * article text
>  * categories
>  * redirects
>  * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>
> Discrimination between
>  * article pages
>  * disambiguation pages
>  * redirect pages.
>
> Available languages:
>  * English
>  * German
>  * Czech
>  * Ukrainian
>
> Other languages will be added step by step.
>

> DOWNLOAD
>
> JWPL Java library
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>
> Wikipedia data
> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
> ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/tud/informatik/JWPL_data
>

> LICENCE
>
> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>

> ABOUT
>
> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.
>
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It is nice that the pywikipediabot provides certain functionality. The question is how usable is it in the first place when this info is needed interactively. Also when there are more tools that provide a great job, we will get a situation where advances in one tool will egg on the people of another tool to do even better.

Thanks,
    GerardM

On 7/2/07, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pywikipediabot provides this functionality under a free license.

/Brian

On 7/2/07, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
Foundation could use it?

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:

>                JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>
>              version 0.3 beta is now available

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
> application programming interface, that enables the use of
> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
> access to the knowledge therein.
>

> FUNCTIONALITY
>
> Fast access to:
>  * article text
>  * categories
>  * redirects
>  * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>
> Discrimination between
>  * article pages
>  * disambiguation pages
>  * redirect pages.
>
> Available languages:
>  * English
>  * German
>  * Czech
>  * Ukrainian
>
> Other languages will be added step by step.
>

> DOWNLOAD
>
> JWPL Java library
>
> Wikipedia data
> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
>

> LICENCE

> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>

> ABOUT
>
> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l" target="_blank">http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail
Hi,

    You may also be interested in REST way:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API

    Regards,
/Mike/

GerardM wrote:

> [...]
>         >
>         > LICENCE
>         >
>         > JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>         >
>         >
>         > ABOUT
>         >
>         > JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
>         > at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.
>         >
>         > http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de <http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de>
>         >
>         > _______________________________________________
>         > Wiki-research-l mailing list
>         > [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         > http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>         >

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

We used a python mysql library to access the article text and it was quite fast. The critical step for increased speed was the following index:

dbCursor.execute("ALTER TABLE page ADD INDEX (page_title);")

We've got several thousands lines of python code that is already GPL'ed (since the copyleft goes at the top, it's the first code I write ;) and will be released at Wikimania.

On 7/2/07, GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
It is nice that the pywikipediabot provides certain functionality. The question is how usable is it in the first place when this info is needed interactively. Also when there are more tools that provide a great job, we will get a situation where advances in one tool will egg on the people of another tool to do even better.

Thanks,
    GerardM

On 7/2/07, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pywikipediabot provides this functionality under a free license.

/Brian

On 7/2/07, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
Foundation could use it?

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:

>                JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>
>              version 0.3 beta is now available

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
> application programming interface, that enables the use of
> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
> access to the knowledge therein.
>

> FUNCTIONALITY
>
> Fast access to:
>  * article text
>  * categories
>  * redirects
>  * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>
> Discrimination between
>  * article pages
>  * disambiguation pages
>  * redirect pages.
>
> Available languages:
>  * English
>  * German
>  * Czech
>  * Ukrainian
>
> Other languages will be added step by step.
>

> DOWNLOAD
>
> JWPL Java library
>
> Wikipedia data
> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
>

> LICENCE

> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>

> ABOUT
>
> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l" target="_blank">http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Andrew Krizhanovsky
There is a Java program with free license for search of related terms in
Wikipedia. It is Synarcher program. Welcome http://synarcher.sourceforge.net

It contains functions to access Wikipedia data and several algorithms
(see Bibliography at the site). But at this moment the Wikipedia API in
Synarcher is not so clear as JWPL (I think it's too complex now). I am
planning to improve the design of Synarcher code in future.

 > Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
> Foundation could use it?
>
> On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:
>
>>                JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>>
>>              version 0.3 beta is now available
>>
>>         http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>>

>> INTRODUCTION
>>
>> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
>> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
>> application programming interface, that enables the use of
>> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
>> access to the knowledge therein.
>>

>> FUNCTIONALITY
>>
>> Fast access to:
>>  * article text
>>  * categories
>>  * redirects
>>  * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>>
>> Discrimination between
>>  * article pages
>>  * disambiguation pages
>>  * redirect pages.
>>
>> Available languages:
>>  * English
>>  * German
>>  * Czech
>>  * Ukrainian
>>
>> Other languages will be added step by step.
>>

>> DOWNLOAD
>>
>> JWPL Java library
>> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>>
>> Wikipedia data
>> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
>> ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/tud/informatik/JWPL_data
>>

>> LICENCE
>>
>> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>>

>> ABOUT
>>
>> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
>> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.
>>
>> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Felipe Ortega
Another GNU GPL licensed Python tool is WikiXRay, more oriented to automate research jobs.

In the following days we will release a major update of tools and graphics, as explained in http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:WikiXRay#Following_Updates

The new Python parser will be (as far as we know) the most complete and precise parser for processing the XML dumps for research purposes.

Saludos.

Felipe Ortega.

Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> escribió:
Why don't you release this under a free license so that the Wikimedia
Foundation could use it?

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Torsten Zesch wrote:

> JWPL - Java Wikipedia Library
>
> version 0.3 beta is now available
>
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Lately, Wikipedia has been recognized as a promising lexical
> semantic resource. We present JWPL, a free Java-based Wikipedia
> application programming interface, that enables the use of
> Wikipedia as a NLP resource by providing efficient programmatic
> access to the knowledge therein.
>

> FUNCTIONALITY
>
> Fast access to:
> * article text
> * categories
> * redirects
> * links between articles (ingoing and outgoing).
>
> Discrimination between
> * article pages
> * disambiguation pages
> * redirect pages.
>
> Available languages:
> * English
> * German
> * Czech
> * Ukrainian
>
> Other languages will be added step by step.
>

> DOWNLOAD
>
> JWPL Java library
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/software/JWPL
>
> Wikipedia data
> (with database scheme optimized for large-scale NLP tasks)
> ftp://ftp.tu-darmstadt.de/pub/tud/informatik/JWPL_data
>

> LICENCE
>
> JWPL is free for non-profit and non-commercial use.
>

> ABOUT
>
> JWPL was developed by the Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
> at Darmstadt University of Technlogy.
>
> http://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

¬°Descubre una nueva forma de obtener respuestas a tus preguntas!
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.

Re: JWPL - A Java-based Wikipedia API released

Dirk Riehle-2
Gerard provides an important insight below: The more we are able to
decouple the software components that run Wikipedia, the more open it
becomes to innovation. It is much harder to change one large piece of
software than it is to change and innovate on multiple components that
are decoupled from each other through well-defined standards.

I'm making this point, because the recent announcement of Wiki Creole is
an important step in this direction. It is only subset of what Mediawiki
provides, but may work well for 90% of all users, and it can serve as a
critical standard that decouples a (UI-less) wiki engine used through
services from wiki editors from additional wiki tooling like bots and
converters.

I don't understand Mediawiki enough in detail, but I would argue that
separating the rendering from the provision and storage of wiki pages
would save the WMF a lot of money. If you managed to unload the
rendering to clients, I'd assume the server capacity you provide could
be reduced, perhaps significantly.

Dirk

http://www.riehle.org