January 15 retro?

Lodewijk
Hi,

wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back for
one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to see
enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo would
lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed if
there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but that
is no longer the case.

Best, Lodewijk

Re: January 15 retro?

Mono mium
or the wikix logo

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back
> for
> one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to
> see
> enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo would
> lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed
> if
> there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but that
> is no longer the case.
>
> Best, Lodewijk

Re: January 15 retro?

MZMcBride-2
Lodewijk wrote:
> wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back for
> one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to see
> enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo would
> lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed if
> there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but that
> is no longer the case.

I'm not sure why any other Wikipedia besides the English Wikipedia would
want to change their logo on January 15. The other Wikipedias weren't
started on that date, so they have nothing to celebrate or commemorate.
Perhaps they'd want to change their logos on their own birthdays or
decennials.

I believe it's still possible to change the logo by changing "File:Wiki.png"
on certain Wikimedia wikis. Check the configuration files at
noc.wikimedia.org.

MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

Mono mium
There's always CSS.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lodewijk wrote:
> > wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back
> for
> > one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to
> see
> > enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo
> would
> > lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed
> if
> > there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but
> that
> > is no longer the case.
>
> I'm not sure why any other Wikipedia besides the English Wikipedia would
> want to change their logo on January 15. The other Wikipedias weren't
> started on that date, so they have nothing to celebrate or commemorate.
> Perhaps they'd want to change their logos on their own birthdays or
> decennials.
>
> I believe it's still possible to change the logo by changing
> "File:Wiki.png"
> on certain Wikimedia wikis. Check the configuration files at
> noc.wikimedia.org.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

Bod Notbod
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back for
> one day to those old logo's?

I think I'd rather a more pedestrian solution of something with a big
fat TEN YEARS or 10TH ANNIVERSARY on it.

And make it clickable through to a celebration page if clicked on when
already on the home page, maybe?

Basically, few will know what the old logo represents. I don't even
remember what the old ones looked like and I've been around a while.

en.User:Bodnotbod

Re: January 15 retro?

Lodewijk
Changing it on one date doesn't exclude changing it again on another. I dont
know if that is a common concept around the world, but if I can find an
excuse to party twice for the same thing, I want to do that!

Lodewijk

2011/1/6 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>

> Lodewijk wrote:
> > wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back
> for
> > one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to
> see
> > enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo
> would
> > lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed
> if
> > there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but
> that
> > is no longer the case.
>
> I'm not sure why any other Wikipedia besides the English Wikipedia would
> want to change their logo on January 15. The other Wikipedias weren't
> started on that date, so they have nothing to celebrate or commemorate.
> Perhaps they'd want to change their logos on their own birthdays or
> decennials.
>
> I believe it's still possible to change the logo by changing
> "File:Wiki.png"
> on certain Wikimedia wikis. Check the configuration files at
> noc.wikimedia.org.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

Steven Walling
"The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
celebrate or commemorate."

The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
Antarctica.

As for the logo switch: I'm agnostic in general, though I think the retro
idea is much preferable over use of the Wikipedia 10 mark, since it vaguely
resembles the current puzzle globe and would be clearer to readers.

Steven

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lodewijk wrote:
> > wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back
> for
> > one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to
> see
> > enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo
> would
> > lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed
> if
> > there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but
> that
> > is no longer the case.
>
> I'm not sure why any other Wikipedia besides the English Wikipedia would
> want to change their logo on January 15. The other Wikipedias weren't
> started on that date, so they have nothing to celebrate or commemorate.
> Perhaps they'd want to change their logos on their own birthdays or
> decennials.
>
> I believe it's still possible to change the logo by changing
> "File:Wiki.png"
> on certain Wikimedia wikis. Check the configuration files at
> noc.wikimedia.org.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

David Gerard-2
On 6 January 2011 00:45, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
> Antarctica.

And just WHY is there not one in Antarctica? Don't we have BORED
SCIENTISTS in Antarctica? I THINK THIS ISSUE IS IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE
RESOLUTION.

- d.

Re: January 15 retro?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It may be a bit late to ship t-shirts to Antarctica and, they are likely to
be not warm enough.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 6 January 2011 01:52, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 January 2011 00:45, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
> > English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than
> 100
> > events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
> > Antarctica.
>

> And just WHY is there not one in Antarctica? Don't we have BORED
> SCIENTISTS in Antarctica? I THINK THIS ISSUE IS IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE
> RESOLUTION.
>

> - d.

Re: January 15 retro?

David Gerard-2
On 6 January 2011 00:56, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It may be a bit late to ship t-shirts to Antarctica and, they are likely to
> be not warm enough.

We're talking about the finest mad scientists of the modern era.
No-one goes to Antarctica without being a genuine paid-up mad
scientist and proud of it!

No. It is *essential* we arrange a Wikimedia anniversary event in
Antarctica. The penguins will thank us.

- d.

Re: January 15 retro?

MZMcBride-2
Steven Walling wrote:
> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
> celebrate or commemorate."
>
> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
> Antarctica.

That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.

MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

M. Williamson
Wikipedia was started on that date, wasn't it? True, other Wikipedias
didn't exist yet, but I don't think that makes it any less
significant. If you speak a non-English language as your native tongue
and wish therefore to not make any fuss about the date, feel free, but
I'm certain it won't just be en.wp users celebrating.

-m.

2011/1/5 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:

> Steven Walling wrote:
>> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
>> celebrate or commemorate."
>>
>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>> Antarctica.
>
> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: January 15 retro?

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> wouldn't it be nice to change the logo of Wikipedia on January 15th back for
> one day to those old logo's? Give people a retro feeling? (would love to see
> enwiki go back to the american flag, but perhaps the round text logo would
> lead to less overload of the OTRS queues) How can these logo's be changed if
> there is a wish to do so? It used to be possible through Wiki.png, but that
> is no longer the case.
>
> Best, Lodewijk

I think we should have a big flashing marquee banner that says "making
the internet not suck since 2001!"

/KIDDING. (mostly). It would be fun to have a Wikipedia 10 small
banner or special logo, at least for the day. I agree that the retro
logos would be a kick for those of us who remember them but would be
pretty obscure for the vast majority of current readers and editors...
so maybe a modified logo with "10" added somehow, the way many
projects have done for various anniversaries. Maybe it could link to
the ten.wikipedia.org site ... I wonder if it would be a good idea to
add some "how to get involved" materials there too, to encourage all
those curious readers who click through to edit :)

-- phoebe

p.s. I used to work for a research lab that had regular trips to
Antarctica to study penguins ... if only I had known, I could have
gone along and done Wikipedia outreach.

Re: January 15 retro?

Waihorace
Chinese Wikipedia is just planning for change the logo in the mid January.
Discussion is going on in VP, and the logo is
http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/File:10piece-chinese-L_k_2.svg . Chinese Wikipedia
is also using JavaScript on common.js to use the logo stored in local but not
commons.

Some celebrate work will also be done on Chinese Wikipedia soon. Thank you.
(Cross post to foundation-l & wikix-l)

HW

Re: January 15 retro?

Przykuta
> I think I'd rather a more pedestrian solution of something with a big
> fat TEN YEARS or 10TH ANNIVERSARY on it.
>
> And make it clickable through to a celebration page if clicked on when
> already on the home page, maybe?
>
> Basically, few will know what the old logo represents. I don't even
> remember what the old ones looked like and I've been around a while.
>
> en.User:Bodnotbod

add to your subpage js (User:Bodnotbod/vector.js if you use that skin)

addOnloadHook(function(){try{document.getElementById('p-logo').firstChild.style.backgroundImage =
'url(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Anthere-logo_%28small%29.jpg)';
} catch(e) {}});

or other file if you want

;)

przykuta

Re: January 15 retro?

Delphine Ménard
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven Walling wrote:
>> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
>> celebrate or commemorate."
>>
>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>> Antarctica.
>
> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.

If we're gonna go the silly route, I'm happy to say that as a French
living in Germany, I couldn't care less what dates the French and
German Wikipedia were actually "online". What's fun here is that there
was a time when there wasn't Wikipedia, and there was a time when
suddenly there was Wikipedia.

So yep, I'd say go for retro and agree with Steven, should be retro
and not Wikipedia 10 mark (people will have thought we have changed
our logo). Or some kind of wikidoodle thing that someone comes up with
quick (I hope Google is making their own Doodle for us ;)), but that
should be on ALL Wikipedias, not just on the English one. It only
makes sense if it's everywhere and has wordlwide impact.

And I go with Lodewijk. Man, if there are ways of partying twice,
let's go for it!

Delphine
--
@notafish

Re: January 15 retro?

KIZU Naoko
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 January 2011 00:56, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It may be a bit late to ship t-shirts to Antarctica and, they are likely to
>> be not warm enough.
>

> We're talking about the finest mad scientists of the modern era.
> No-one goes to Antarctica without being a genuine paid-up mad
> scientist and proud of it!
>
> No. It is *essential* we arrange a Wikimedia anniversary event in
> Antarctica. The penguins will thank us.

And polar bears groan us ....
but besides that, I think it's a fantastic idea to get those
scientists involved into the event, if possible. Even if it's less
fantastic to get scientists on ISS involved ...

> - d.

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: January 15 retro?

KIZU Naoko
I support Lodewijk and Delphine. Wikipedia 10 logo is fine, but it's
less impulsive.

2011/1/6 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Steven Walling wrote:
>>> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
>>> celebrate or commemorate."
>>>
>>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>>> Antarctica.
>>
>> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
>> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
>> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
>> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
>> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.
>
> If we're gonna go the silly route, I'm happy to say that as a French
> living in Germany, I couldn't care less what dates the French and
> German Wikipedia were actually "online". What's fun here is that there
> was a time when there wasn't Wikipedia, and there was a time when
> suddenly there was Wikipedia.
>
> So yep, I'd say go for retro and agree with Steven, should be retro
> and not Wikipedia 10 mark (people will have thought we have changed
> our logo). Or some kind of wikidoodle thing that someone comes up with
> quick (I hope Google is making their own Doodle for us ;)), but that
> should be on ALL Wikipedias, not just on the English one. It only
> makes sense if it's everywhere and has wordlwide impact.
>
> And I go with Lodewijk. Man, if there are ways of partying twice,
> let's go for it!
>
> Delphine
> --
> @notafish

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: January 15 retro?

Ziko van Dijk
Me too. Using the old logo is emphazising the cohesion of Wikipedia as
one project. On other occasions there can be other logos.

Kind regards
Ziko

2011/1/6 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:

> I support Lodewijk and Delphine. Wikipedia 10 logo is fine, but it's
> less impulsive.
>
> 2011/1/6 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:

>>> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
>>> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
>>> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
>>> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
>>> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.
>>
>> If we're gonna go the silly route, I'm happy to say that as a French
>> living in Germany, I couldn't care less what dates the French and
>> German Wikipedia were actually "online". What's fun here is that there
>> was a time when there wasn't Wikipedia, and there was a time when
>> suddenly there was Wikipedia.
>>
>> So yep, I'd say go for retro and agree with Steven, should be retro
>> and not Wikipedia 10 mark (people will have thought we have changed
>> our logo). Or some kind of wikidoodle thing that someone comes up with
>> quick (I hope Google is making their own Doodle for us ;)), but that
>> should be on ALL Wikipedias, not just on the English one. It only
>> makes sense if it's everywhere and has wordlwide impact.
>>
>> And I go with Lodewijk. Man, if there are ways of partying twice,
>> let's go for it!
>>
>> Delphine
>> --
>> @notafish

> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

Re: January 15 retro?

Thomas Dalton
On 6 January 2011 00:59, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven Walling wrote:
>> "The other Wikipedias weren't started on that date, so they have nothing to
>> celebrate or commemorate."
>>
>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>> Antarctica.
>
> That's incredibly poor logic. Only the English Wikipedia is going to be ten
> years old on January 15, 2011. If people around the world want to throw
> parties for the English Wikipedia's tenth anniversary, they're of course
> free to. But that doesn't change the facts, even if people will be partying
> in six of seven continents. Don't be silly.

It's the 10th birthday of both the English Wikipedia and Wikipedia in
general. The different language versions are not completely
independant entities, they are all part of one multi-lingual project.