January 15 retro?

Re: January 15 retro?

Ray Saintonge
On 01/05/11 4:52 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 6 January 2011 00:45, Steven Walling<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>> Antarctica.
> And just WHY is there not one in Antarctica? Don't we have BORED
> SCIENTISTS in Antarctica? I THINK THIS ISSUE IS IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE
> RESOLUTION.

There was some casual discussion in Taipei that there should be a
Wikimania in Antarctica, but only after having one in Australia.  Then
too there was also talk about having one on a cruise ship, or perhaps in
a plane on a round-the-world flight.

The International Space Station isn't big enough ... yet.

Ray

Re: January 15 retro?

Pharos-3
I actually tried to set up a geonotice to catch Wikipedian
Antarcticans a while back, but unfortunately the convergence of the
longitude lines kind of threw it off :P

Thanks,
Pharos

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/11 4:52 PM, David Gerard wrote:
>> On 6 January 2011 00:45, Steven Walling<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> The anniversary is not just about English Wikipedia. If this was just
>>> English Wikipedia's celebration, there certainly wouldn't be more than 100
>>> events organized in dozens of countries and on every continent except
>>> Antarctica.
>> And just WHY is there not one in Antarctica? Don't we have BORED
>> SCIENTISTS in Antarctica? I THINK THIS ISSUE IS IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE
>> RESOLUTION.
>
> There was some casual discussion in Taipei that there should be a
> Wikimania in Antarctica, but only after having one in Australia.  Then
> too there was also talk about having one on a cruise ship, or perhaps in
> a plane on a round-the-world flight.
>
> The International Space Station isn't big enough ... yet.
>
> Ray

Re: January 15 retro?

James Alexander-3
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually tried to set up a geonotice to catch Wikipedian
> Antarcticans a while back, but unfortunately the convergence of the
> longitude lines kind of threw it off :P
>
> Thanks,
> Pharos

There is an 'Antarctica' in the Central Notice country list... I wonder if
the IPs actually geolocate to it...

--
James Alexander

Re: January 15 retro?

Philippe Beaudette-2

On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:04 PM, James Alexander wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I actually tried to set up a geonotice to catch Wikipedian
>> Antarcticans a while back, but unfortunately the convergence of the
>> longitude lines kind of threw it off :P
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pharos
>>
> There is an 'Antarctica' in the Central Notice country list... I wonder if
> the IPs actually geolocate to it...

I'll save you some trouble. :)

I've been in touch with the folks behind the joint research station, Antarctica.  This is a very very scaled down time of year for them, and they're in a pure maintenance mode, at the moment.  Through a friend, I was able to get someone to make both an edit and a contribution from there (so we could say "every continent") but a party of any type - even three guys and a glass of grape juice - was a non-starter.

pb

Re: January 15 retro?

Lodewijk
can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P

2011/1/8 Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:04 PM, James Alexander wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I actually tried to set up a geonotice to catch Wikipedian
> >> Antarcticans a while back, but unfortunately the convergence of the
> >> longitude lines kind of threw it off :P
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Pharos
> >>
> > There is an 'Antarctica' in the Central Notice country list... I wonder
> if
> > the IPs actually geolocate to it...
> >

> I'll save you some trouble. :)
>
> I've been in touch with the folks behind the joint research station,
> Antarctica.  This is a very very scaled down time of year for them, and
> they're in a pure maintenance mode, at the moment.  Through a friend, I was
> able to get someone to make both an edit and a contribution from there (so
> we could say "every continent") but a party of any type - even three guys
> and a glass of grape juice - was a non-starter.
>
> pb

Re: January 15 retro?

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
is cool to sing it in these events.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw

2011/1/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>

> can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P
>
> 2011/1/8 Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>
>

> > On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:04 PM, James Alexander wrote:

> > > There is an 'Antarctica' in the Central Notice country list... I wonder
> > if
> > > the IPs actually geolocate to it...
> > >

> > I'll save you some trouble. :)
> >
> > I've been in touch with the folks behind the joint research station,
> > Antarctica.  This is a very very scaled down time of year for them, and
> > they're in a pure maintenance mode, at the moment.  Through a friend, I
> was
> > able to get someone to make both an edit and a contribution from there
> (so
> > we could say "every continent") but a party of any type - even three guys
> > and a glass of grape juice - was a non-starter.
> >
> > pb

Re: January 15 retro?

Lodewijk
please give an advance warning if you start singing - I'll bring ear plugs
to Wikimania ;-)

Lodewijk

2011/1/10 emijrp <[hidden email]>

> We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
> is cool to sing it in these events.
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
>
> 2011/1/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>
> > can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P

> wonder
> > > if
> > > >

> > > I'll save you some trouble. :)
> > >
> > > I've been in touch with the folks behind the joint research station,
> > > Antarctica.  This is a very very scaled down time of year for them, and
> > > they're in a pure maintenance mode, at the moment.  Through a friend, I
> > was
> > > able to get someone to make both an edit and a contribution from there
> > (so
> > > we could say "every continent") but a party of any type - even three
> guys
> > > and a glass of grape juice - was a non-starter.
> > >
> > > pb

Re: January 15 retro?

On 10 January 2011 11:50, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
> is cool to sing it in these events.

I would suggest that we need one that is *completely different*.
Either that or ear plugs. At least RMS is unlikely to be singing it
for us.

- d.

Re: January 15 retro?

Ziko van Dijk
In German there was a children's tv show about "Wickie the Viking",
with a popular intro song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVjAY0n2fQ

A Wikipedian came up with a new, Wiki-related text:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Neitram/Hey_hey_Wiki

Greetings
Ziko

2011/1/10 emijrp <[hidden email]>:

> We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
> is cool to sing it in these events.
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
>
> 2011/1/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>
>> can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P

>> > if
>> > >

>> > I'll save you some trouble. :)
>> >
>> > I've been in touch with the folks behind the joint research station,
>> > Antarctica.  This is a very very scaled down time of year for them, and
>> > they're in a pure maintenance mode, at the moment.  Through a friend, I
>> was
>> > able to get someone to make both an edit and a contribution from there
>> (so
>> > we could say "every continent") but a party of any type - even three guys
>> > and a glass of grape juice - was a non-starter.
>> >
>> > pb

Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

Re: January 15 retro?

phoebe ayers-3
Just another in the long tradition of Wiki-songs with revisionist lyrics!
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Humor_songs_and_poems
:)

phoebe, who has -- *ahem* -- sung at least two of these in public

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In German there was a children's tv show about "Wickie the Viking",
> with a popular intro song:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVjAY0n2fQ
>
> A Wikipedian came up with a new, Wiki-related text:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Neitram/Hey_hey_Wiki
>
> Greetings
> Ziko
>

> 2011/1/10 emijrp <[hidden email]>:
>> We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
>> is cool to sing it in these events.
>>
>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
>> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
>>
>> 2011/1/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P

>>> was
>>> (so

> Ziko van Dijk
> The Netherlands
> http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

<at> gmail.com *

Re: January 15 retro?

Ray Saintonge
On 01/10/11 2:52 PM, phoebe ayers wrote:
> Just another in the long tradition of Wiki-songs with revisionist lyrics!
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Humor_songs_and_poems
> :)
>
> phoebe, who has -- *ahem* -- sung at least two of these in public

Which one was it that was sung at the party in Alexandria?

Ray

Re: January 15 retro?

Liam Wyatt
On 11/01/2011, at 12:45, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/10/11 2:52 PM, phoebe ayers wrote:
>> Just another in the long tradition of Wiki-songs with revisionist lyrics!
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Humor_songs_and_poems
>> :)
>>
>> phoebe, who has -- *ahem* -- sung at least two of these in public
>>

> Which one was it that was sung at the party in Alexandria?
>
> Ray
If memory serves it was "I will revise" to the tune of "I will survive".
-Liam

Re: January 15 retro?

KIZU Naoko
Oh nostargic. It is a Japanese anime, originally titled "chiisana
viking, bikke" (Little Viking, Vicke). One of my favorites 30 years
ago.

For those who don't know, it's a adventurous story of a little but
smart and bold Viking boy, unlike all surrounding tend to rely on
power and violence, to solve matters with his wisdom.

For trivia, the original title song is there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-s2TjW46Pw

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In German there was a children's tv show about "Wickie the Viking",
> with a popular intro song:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVjAY0n2fQ
>
> A Wikipedian came up with a new, Wiki-related text:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Neitram/Hey_hey_Wiki
>
> Greetings
> Ziko
>

> 2011/1/10 emijrp <[hidden email]>:
>> We need a Free Knowledge Song, similar to the Free Software Song[1][2]. It
>> is cool to sing it in these events.
>>
>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
>> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
>>
>> 2011/1/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> can't we just rename Breakfast to Wikipedia Party Breakfast? :P

>>> was
>>> (so

> Ziko van Dijk
> The Netherlands
> http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: January 15 retro?

Casey Brown-5

Yep: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Revise>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: January 15 retro?

Béria Lima
Please tell that exist a video of wikipedians singing this song!! XD
_____
*Béria Lima (Beh)
*

2011/1/11 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Which one was it that was sung at the party in Alexandria?
> >
> > If memory serves it was "I will revise" to the tune of "I will survive".
>
> Yep: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Revise>
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Re: January 15 retro?

Delphine Ménard
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please tell that exist a video of wikipedians singing this song!! XD

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDT4s6yLwvg

:D

This was hilarious.

Delphine

--
@notafish

Re: January 15 retro?

Chad
2011/1/12 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDT4s6yLwvg
>
> :D
>
> This was hilarious.

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxWhzJWJ4U

-Chad

Re: January 15 retro?

Béria Lima
"Believe it or not, there was no alcohol served at this event"

LOL
_____
*Béria Lima (Beh)
(351) 925 171 484*

2011/1/12 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please tell that exist a video of wikipedians singing this song!! XD
>
> Yep
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDT4s6yLwvg
>
> :D
>
> This was hilarious.
>
> Delphine
>

> --
> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: January 15 retro?

Mariano Cecowski