Quantcast

Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

jmerkey-3

Wikimedia,

I am writing this because I am more than a little tired of the antics on
Wikipedia.

I was notified several weeks ago someone from Wikipedia called an OEM
vendor who sells hardware for Wolf Mountain Group and Omega 8 attempting
to obtain personal information about me, and then harassed the owner of
this computer equipment supplier on the phone for editing on Wikipedia.
This person claimed to be with the English Wikipedia.   I reviewed the
site today after receiving emails from people on the site to the effect a
witch court of some sort has convened and banned me.

Well, who cares.  Wikipedia is nothing more than an internet ant farm scam
and I never could care less.  What is disturbing to me if people are
calling on the phone myself and apparently other users and harassing them.

I want it stopped -- and I mean it.

This is your final warning.

Jeff

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

Nathan Awrich
Jeff,

I think you overestimate the power anyone on Wikipedia has over anyone else.

There simply is no mechanism to stop some unnamed and unidentifiable
individual
from calling someone on the phone. If the phone call or other behavior
constitutes
harassment in your jurisdiction, you should report it to the police or
relevant authority.

Nathan

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:51 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikimedia,
>
> I am writing this because I am more than a little tired of the antics on
> Wikipedia.
>
> I was notified several weeks ago someone from Wikipedia called an OEM
> vendor who sells hardware for Wolf Mountain Group and Omega 8 attempting
> to obtain personal information about me, and then harassed the owner of
> this computer equipment supplier on the phone for editing on Wikipedia.
> This person claimed to be with the English Wikipedia.   I reviewed the
> site today after receiving emails from people on the site to the effect a
> witch court of some sort has convened and banned me.
>
> Well, who cares.  Wikipedia is nothing more than an internet ant farm scam
> and I never could care less.  What is disturbing to me if people are
> calling on the phone myself and apparently other users and harassing them.
>
> I want it stopped -- and I mean it.
>
> This is your final warning.
>
> Jeff

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

M. Williamson
I think it'd be good to add that most of us are also firmly against
stalking. As much as I may disagree with you on a personal level,
Jeff, I don't believe stalking is deserved by anyone, so if there was
anything I could do to help, I would. I'm sure that sentiment is
shared by quite a few others.

Mark

On 10/09/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> I think you overestimate the power anyone on Wikipedia has over anyone else.
>
> There simply is no mechanism to stop some unnamed and unidentifiable
> individual
> from calling someone on the phone. If the phone call or other behavior
> constitutes
> harassment in your jurisdiction, you should report it to the police or
> relevant authority.
>
> Nathan
>
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:51 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Wikimedia,
>>
>> I am writing this because I am more than a little tired of the antics on
>> Wikipedia.
>>
>> I was notified several weeks ago someone from Wikipedia called an OEM
>> vendor who sells hardware for Wolf Mountain Group and Omega 8 attempting
>> to obtain personal information about me, and then harassed the owner of
>> this computer equipment supplier on the phone for editing on Wikipedia.
>> This person claimed to be with the English Wikipedia.   I reviewed the
>> site today after receiving emails from people on the site to the effect a
>> witch court of some sort has convened and banned me.
>>
>> Well, who cares.  Wikipedia is nothing more than an internet ant farm scam
>> and I never could care less.  What is disturbing to me if people are
>> calling on the phone myself and apparently other users and harassing them.
>>
>> I want it stopped -- and I mean it.
>>
>> This is your final warning.
>>
>> Jeff

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

David Yellope
Considering the recent events on English Wikipedia, where Mr. Merkey is
accused of attempting to get one of his critics fired from his real life job
(and is now indefinitely blocked, rather then the one year ArbCom ban, which
had been reset twice due to evasion), I think we're going to need to take
everything with a grain of salt the size of Cleveland.

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

Gregory Maxwell
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:51 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> I am writing this because I am more than a little tired of the antics on
> Wikipedia.
>
> I was notified several weeks ago someone from Wikipedia called an OEM
> vendor who sells hardware for Wolf Mountain Group and Omega 8 attempting
> to obtain personal information about me, and then harassed the owner of
> this computer equipment supplier on the phone for editing on Wikipedia.
> This person claimed to be with the English Wikipedia.   I reviewed the
> site today after receiving emails from people on the site to the effect a
> witch court of some sort has convened and banned me.
>
> Well, who cares.  Wikipedia is nothing more than an internet ant farm scam
> and I never could care less.  What is disturbing to me if people are
> calling on the phone myself and apparently other users and harassing them.
>
> I want it stopped -- and I mean it.
[snip]

Hey Jeff,

It's unfortunate that some people are still so obsessed with causing
you problems. Though, I don't think there is anything I can do to stop
them.  I can come up with no evidence or reason to believe that the
caller was an authorized representative of the Wikimedia Foundation,
or of the English Wikipedia (if you had any doubt before, you should
not).  Anyone receiving a call complaining about you (or anyone else,
for that matter) should consider the identity and the motivation of
the person making the call.

Wikipedia contributors do not generally make phone calls relating to
activity on Wikipedia. Beyond abuse reports to ISPs for trouble makers
who frequently evade bans, or calls to law enforcement related to
evidence of illegal activity, I can't see any reason why Wikipedia
contributors would ever make phone calls related to the behavior of
users on the site.

As far as being blocked from editing the English Wikipedia goes:  The
English wikipedia is just one Wikipedia out of hundreds of Wikipedia
operated by the Wikimedia foundation. Each Wikipedia has it's own
rules and politics. As complicated systems the Wikipedias have
complicated rules and norms and users are often blocked for reasons
which the general public would find inscrutable, some people simply
have temperaments which are ill-suited for the particular qualities of
the Wikipedia social norms, and there are many examples of users
blocked for poor reasons.

At times the congressional offices, various famous personalities, and
even the leaders of nations have been blocked from editing.  Consider
yourself in good company.

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

mboverload-2
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it'd be good to add that most of us are also firmly against
> stalking...

I'm glad we are so semi-united against a serious crime.  Wait..who
actually advocates stalking?

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

M. Williamson
Stalkers? I'm guessing that whoever made this phone call isn't against
it. Just a hunch.

On 10/09/2008, mboverload <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think it'd be good to add that most of us are also firmly against
>> stalking...
>
> I'm glad we are so semi-united against a serious crime.  Wait..who
> actually advocates stalking?

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/11 Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:
> Stalkers? I'm guessing that whoever made this phone call isn't against
> it. Just a hunch.

Ah, no, you see it's not stalking when they do it. It's only stalking
when someone does it to them.

Pretty much everyone is against stalking, just different people have
different ideas of what counts as stalking.

Re: Jeff Merkey Fiasco on English Wikipedia

David Yellope
I've received information on the issue with Mr. Merkey attempting to get
another user fired from his real life job.

To the best of my ability, I've confirmed that Mr. Merkey HAS called another
Wikipedia user's work superior twice (in June and again, recently) in an
attempt to harass that user with spurious complaints.

Mr. Merkey is currently in the 13th month of a one year English Wikipedia
ban (reset several times due to ban evasion via IP Addresses). I have
forwarded the information I've received to the English Wikipedia Arbitration
Committee for use there, or at the OFFICE/FOUNDATION level.

I think at this point, the best policy with regards to Mr. Merkey, is to
politely request to him that if he has any further wish to communicate with
or about Wikipedia, that he do so privately and via his representative.