Jimbo and his strategy

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Steve Bennett-4
On 2/21/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:28:12 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >> You've missed the point.  On usenet you silently plonk trolls because
> >You know that "silently plonk" is a perfect oxymoron. Silently killfile perhaps.
>
> Up to a point, Lord Copper.  *I* can hear the plonk as they land in
> the bitbucket, but *they* can't ;-)

Ok, I mean the sense when someone says something trollish, and someone
else replies "*plonk*". The entire point is to tell the world that
you're now killfiling them. Or so I gather. :)

Steve

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Death Phoenix
On 2/21/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > >You know that "silently plonk" is a perfect oxymoron. Silently killfile
> perhaps.
> >
> > Up to a point, Lord Copper.  *I* can hear the plonk as they land in
> > the bitbucket, but *they* can't ;-)
>
> Ok, I mean the sense when someone says something trollish, and someone
> else replies "*plonk*". The entire point is to tell the world that
> you're now killfiling them. Or so I gather. :)

Yeah, it's an abbreviation for "You're a troll, I am now killfiling you."
:-)

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Carl Fürstenberg
The main problem is that the definition of polemical is rather vauge, and
that a couple of admins have exploit jimbo's words for their own agenda.
Jimbo has right in that some userboxes are unsuited for wikipedia, and thou
should be deleted, but the quest to exterminate them should not dissrupt the
pedia more than the boxes before did.

Also Jimbo, could you please define what your definition of polemical is,
according to wikionary, the definition is "An aggressive attack on or
refutation of the opinions or principles of another", where is the line
drawn?

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Tony Sidaway-3
On 2/21/06, Carl Fûrstenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The main problem is that the definition of polemical is rather vauge, and
> that a couple of admins have exploit jimbo's words for their own agenda.

You are aware, aren't you, that Jimbo at 18:01 UTC yesterday placed
the following notice at the top of [[Wikipedia:Userboxes/Beliefs]]:

"It should be noted that use of such userboxes is strongly discouraged
at Wikipedia, and it is likely that very soon all these userboxes will
be deleted or moved to userspace. Their use and creation is not
recommended at this time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Userboxes/Beliefs

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Death Phoenix
On 2/21/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/21/06, Carl Fûrstenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The main problem is that the definition of polemical is rather vauge,
> and
> > that a couple of admins have exploit jimbo's words for their own agenda.
>
> You are aware, aren't you, that Jimbo at 18:01 UTC yesterday placed
> the following notice at the top of [[Wikipedia:Userboxes/Beliefs]]:
>
> "It should be noted that use of such userboxes is strongly discouraged
> at Wikipedia, and it is likely that very soon all these userboxes will
> be deleted or moved to userspace. Their use and creation is not
> recommended at this time."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Userboxes/Beliefs

[[Snake (The Simpsons)|Alright!]] A sign of things to come, I hope.

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

geni
On 2/21/06, Death Phoenix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [[Snake (The Simpsons)|Alright!]] A sign of things to come, I hope.

Not really. Declaring {{user childless}} and {{User Public Transit}}
anathema does not strike me as a good idea.

--
geni

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Matthew Brown-5
On 2/21/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not really. Declaring {{user childless}} and {{User Public Transit}}
> anathema does not strike me as a good idea.

That said, I'd rather read someone's beliefs and philosophy in their
own, considered words.

-Matt

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Tony Sidaway-3
It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

geni
On 2/22/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
> Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.

I remember when being a deletionist was hard.

--
geni

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Death Phoenix
On 2/21/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
> > Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.
>
> I remember when being a deletionist was hard.

Isn't a deletionist someone who prefers to delete articles?

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Geoffrey Burling
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Tony Sidaway wrote:

> It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
> Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.

You obviously don't mind breaking eggs to make an omlet.

Geoff

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Phil Boswell
"geni" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> On 2/21/06, Death Phoenix
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [[Snake (The Simpsons)|Alright!]] A sign of things to come, I hope.
> Not really. Declaring {{user childless}} and {{User Public Transit}}
> anathema does not strike me as a good idea.

I don't know about the latter, but I hope they'll let me substitute the
former before they nuke it, just in case it might be useful for anyone to
know I'm an adoptive father...or is there another category this particular
box might be better suited to?
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
geni wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
>>Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.
>

> I remember when being a deletionist was hard.

You thought being a deletionist was hard!? We mergists had to walk
uphill both ways, in the snow!

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Matt Brown wrote:
> On 2/21/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Not really. Declaring {{user childless}} and {{User Public Transit}}
>>anathema does not strike me as a good idea.
>

> That said, I'd rather read someone's beliefs and philosophy in their
> own, considered words.

As would I. Proposal:

"Userboxes, consisting of Babel template-like contructs which have one
sentance of text describing a user in the third person, are considered
plagiarism, copyright infringement, and anyone using them for purposes
other than declaring their skills in languages, for the purposes of
writing an encyclopedia, will have the 'userbox' deleted, their
fingernails pulled out, and their account blocked.

Signed this merry day the 22nd of February, in the year of our Lord 2006,

His Royal Jimboliness,
Jimbo Wales"

</parody>

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Phil Boswell
"Geoff Burling" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Tony Sidaway wrote:
>> It beats me why we let this crap fester for so long in the corners of
>> Wikipedia.  Time for a Scouring of the Shire.
> You obviously don't mind breaking eggs to make an omlet.

You never ate an omelette with egg-shells in (leaving aside the obvious
unlikelihood of trying to make an omelette with a **whole** egg :-)?

Yucky :-( like a sand-sandwich...

That's how some parts of Wikipedia are right now.

There is the slightest chance that these particular grains of sand might
produce a pearl or two, but it's going to take an awful lot of looking
through smelly molluscs to find anything worth keeping :-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Jimbo and his strategy

Steve Bennett-4
On 2/22/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As would I. Proposal:
>
> "Userboxes, consisting of Babel template-like contructs which have one
> sentance of text describing a user in the third person, are considered
> plagiarism, copyright infringement, and anyone using them for purposes
> other than declaring their skills in languages, for the purposes of
> writing an encyclopedia, will have the 'userbox' deleted, their
> fingernails pulled out, and their account blocked.
>
> Signed this merry day the 22nd of February, in the year of our Lord 2006,
>
> His Royal Jimboliness,
> Jimbo Wales"
>
> </parody>

Alternative proposal:
In the interests of community harmony, if you would like to state an
opinion, membership of a group, or religious affiiliation, we invite
you to do so in your own words on your user page. While it is not
strictly forbidden to use prefabricated templates, we strongly urge
you to consider avoiding doing so.

Steve