Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

David Gerard-2
Johann Hari admits he did it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-a-personal-apology-2354679.html


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Thomas Morton
A pretty mature apology in the circumstances I suppose.

Tom

On 14 September 2011 19:18, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johann Hari admits he did it.
>
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-a-personal-apology-2354679.html
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Phil Nash-3
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
David Gerard wrote:
> Johann Hari admits he did it.
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-a-personal-apology-2354679.html
>
>
> - d.

I don't see socking here; he admits to using only one account, and he
doesn't appear to have an account in his own name.

I do see admissions of COI, POV edits, and BLP vandalism, all of which could
be expected from a newbie editor and have almost certainly been rectified by
now.

He doesn't mention any sanctions for these edits, and they are so run of the
mill that I can't even identify his username from any of the histories.

Storm in a teacup?


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Stephen Bain
On Sep 15, 2011 4:51 AM, "Phil Nash" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Storm in a teacup?

Yes, the meddling with his primary materials seems the far more serious
issue:

<http:
www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/independent-columnist-apologises-for-plagiarism-2354706.html
>

Is he used as a source in any articles? (I would check were I not on my
phone.)
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Fred Bauder-2
In reply to this post by Phil Nash-3
> David Gerard wrote:
>> Johann Hari admits he did it.
>>
>> http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-a-personal-apology-2354679.html
>>
>>
>> - d.
>
> I don't see socking here; he admits to using only one account, and he
> doesn't appear to have an account in his own name.
>
> I do see admissions of COI, POV edits, and BLP vandalism, all of which
> could
> be expected from a newbie editor and have almost certainly been rectified
> by
> now.
>
> He doesn't mention any sanctions for these edits, and they are so run of
> the
> mill that I can't even identify his username from any of the histories.
>
> Storm in a teacup?

You just need to spend hours going through the edits and it will
doubtless be obvious enough. That we never noticed him, or identified
him, is not particularly surprising.

I think he's pretty cool, examining his life.

Fred



_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Sarah-128
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 13:12, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You just need to spend hours going through the edits and it will
> doubtless be obvious enough. That we never noticed him, or identified
> him, is not particularly surprising.
>
He was noticed and identified, which is what led the Independent to
look into it.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Andrew Lih
In reply to this post by Phil Nash-3
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Phil Nash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do see admissions of COI, POV edits, and BLP vandalism, all of which
could
> be expected from a newbie editor and have almost certainly been rectified
by
> now.
>
> He doesn't mention any sanctions for these edits, and they are so run of
the
> mill that I can't even identify his username from any of the histories.
>
> Storm in a teacup?

The socking isn't what's the problem.

And this is not a "newbie editor" mistake. He admits malice. His words:

"I continued to edit my own Wikipedia entry and some other people’s too. I
took out nasty passages about people I admire – like Polly Toynbee, George
Monbiot, Deborah Orr and Yasmin Alibhai-Brown. I factually corrected some
other entries about other people. But in a few instances,* I edited the
entries of people I had clashed with in ways that were juvenile or
malicious: I called one of them anti-Semitic and homophobic, and the other a
drunk. I am mortified to have done this*, because it breaches the most basic
ethical rule: don’t do to others what you don’t want them to do to you. I
apologise to the latter group unreservedly and totally."

-Andrew
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Journalist admits socking on Wikipedia

Phil Nash-3
In reply to this post by Stephen Bain
Stephen Bain wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011 4:51 AM, "Phil Nash" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Storm in a teacup?
>
> Yes, the meddling with his primary materials seems the far more
> serious issue:
>
> <http:
> www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/independent-columnist-apologises-for-plagiarism-2354706.html
>>

I wasn't aware that this was so serious a problem. In the circumstances, the
sackcloth & ashes apology seems entirely appropriate.


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l