LDAP extension ownership

Ryan Lane-2
I haven't been actively maintaining the LDAP extension for MediaWiki for
over two years. There's not really much that needs to change, but some
basic love and care is likely a good idea. The LDAP extension is one of the
most popular MediaWiki extensions, so it wouldn't be great if it was broken
for long periods of time.

If anyone would like to take this extension over, please feel free.

- Ryan

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Chris Koerner
Ryan Lane <rlane32 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I haven't been actively maintaining the LDAP extension for MediaWiki for
> over two years. There's not really much that needs to change, but some
> basic love and care is likely a good idea. The LDAP extension is one of the
> most popular MediaWiki extensions, so it wouldn't be great if it was broken
> for long periods of time.
>
> If anyone would like to take this extension over, please feel free.
>
> - Ryan

Ryan, I hope you can find someone to help out. We use this extension for
our wiki's and it is in my list of 'must-have' extensions.

I put up a short blog post on mwstake
(http://mwstake.org/mwstake/wiki/Blog_Post:27) and heralded it on social
media (https://twitter.com/ckoerner/status/644879602704248833) for what
it's worth.

I'd also suggest throwing a note up on the Extension talk page if you
haven't already. Lots of folks stop by there. :)

-Chris K.

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Paladox
Hi maybe Wikimedia can maintain if they want to. Who ever is in charge of maintaining extensions for Wikimedia would you like to maintain this one since this extension is used at wikitech I think which is owned because wikitech is used to create an account for gerrit.

     On Friday, 18 September 2015, 17:20, Chris Koerner <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Ryan Lane <rlane32 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I haven't been actively maintaining the LDAP extension for MediaWiki for
> over two years. There's not really much that needs to change, but some
> basic love and care is likely a good idea. The LDAP extension is one of the
> most popular MediaWiki extensions, so it wouldn't be great if it was broken
> for long periods of time.
>
> If anyone would like to take this extension over, please feel free.
>
> - Ryan

Ryan, I hope you can find someone to help out. We use this extension for
our wiki's and it is in my list of 'must-have' extensions.

I put up a short blog post on mwstake
(http://mwstake.org/mwstake/wiki/Blog_Post:27) and heralded it on social
media (https://twitter.com/ckoerner/status/644879602704248833) for what
it's worth.

I'd also suggest throwing a note up on the Extension talk page if you
haven't already. Lots of folks stop by there. :)

-Chris K.

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Thomas Mulhall" date="2015-09-18" time="16:37:48 +0000">
> Hi maybe Wikimedia can maintain if they want to. Who ever is in charge of maintaining extensions for Wikimedia would you like to maintain this one since this extension is used at wikitech I think which is owned because wikitech is used to create an account for gerrit.

You write that like (the) Wikimedia (Foundation) has a single mind :)

There is no person in charge of maintaining extensions for Wikimedia;
all engineering teams are managed independently (to varying degrees) and
what they work on and maintain is an ongoing balancing act of time and
promises.

For the record: there already more than 0 extensions in use on
WMF-hosted wikis that aren't "maintained" by WMF or otherwise actively
maintained :)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions_used_on_Wikimedia

(I hesitate to link to this page as well, because it is most likely
always out of date and gives wrong impressions in multiple directions,
but: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Maintainers ).

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Risker
Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.

So yeah, this one should be taken over by WMF staff.

Risker/Anne

On 18 September 2015 at 12:54, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="Thomas Mulhall" date="2015-09-18" time="16:37:48 +0000">
> > Hi maybe Wikimedia can maintain if they want to. Who ever is in charge
> of maintaining extensions for Wikimedia would you like to maintain this one
> since this extension is used at wikitech I think which is owned because
> wikitech is used to create an account for gerrit.
>
> You write that like (the) Wikimedia (Foundation) has a single mind :)
>
> There is no person in charge of maintaining extensions for Wikimedia;
> all engineering teams are managed independently (to varying degrees) and
> what they work on and maintain is an ongoing balancing act of time and
> promises.
>
> For the record: there already more than 0 extensions in use on
> WMF-hosted wikis that aren't "maintained" by WMF or otherwise actively
> maintained :)
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions_used_on_Wikimedia
>
> (I hesitate to link to this page as well, because it is most likely
> always out of date and gives wrong impressions in multiple directions,
> but: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Maintainers ).
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Keegan Peterzell-2
On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.
>
> So yeah, this one should be taken over by WMF staff.

I'm welcome to correction, but I believe the opposite is true: Most non-WMF
sign into Phabricator using CentralAuth. Many (I wouldn't say most) WMF
accounts use LDAP.

It's also possible to cross the streams. My Phabricator account was
registered through LDAP and I registered it with CentralAuth to connect all
the Keegans <there's links to be had here, but it's late>.

This does not diminish Greg's point. Just sayin'.

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Keegan Peterzell-2

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

wrote:

> It's also possible to cross the streams. My Phabricator account was
> registered through LDAP and I registered it with CentralAuth to connect all
> the Keegans <there's links to be had here, but it's late>.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/settings/panel/external/

If you've created through LDAP and need to attach to CA.
--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
>> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.

Even more technically, this (LDAP) is for people committing to Gerrit and
adding to Wikitech. These LDAP accounts can tie in CentralAuth through
oAuth.

But again, yes, LDAP should be some sort of "maintained" in the sense that
Greg G. describes, and I think it will be.

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Paladox
Since this is deployed on wikitech It should be maintained by Wikimedia since it is unmaintained and its better that Wikimedia maintain it because they have more staff that can review and because they have more experience in doing reviews and code review.

wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
>> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.

Even more technically, this (LDAP) is for people committing to Gerrit and
adding to Wikitech. These LDAP accounts can tie in CentralAuth through
oAuth.

But again, yes, LDAP should be some sort of "maintained" in the sense that
Greg G. describes, and I think it will be.

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Paladox
Ok yes but Wikimedia currently maintains CentralAuth if not they do update the code and review without the author.

     On Saturday, 19 September 2015, 9:41, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.
>
> So yeah, this one should be taken over by WMF staff.

I'm welcome to correction, but I believe the opposite is true: Most non-WMF
sign into Phabricator using CentralAuth. Many (I wouldn't say most) WMF
accounts use LDAP.

It's also possible to cross the streams. My Phabricator account was
registered through LDAP and I registered it with CentralAuth to connect all
the Keegans <there's links to be had here, but it's late>.

This does not diminish Greg's point. Just sayin'.

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
Deployed on wmf cluster does not necessarilly means wmf has to maintain it.
A simple example: [[mw:Extension:Josa]]. It's maintained by 3rd party
developer independant from WMF. For example, (IIRC/AFAIK,) WMF has no
staffs with Korean knowledge.

[[Extension:Josa]]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Josa

--
revi
https://revi.me

> Since this is deployed on wikitech It should be maintained by Wikimedia
> since it is unmaintained and its better that Wikimedia maintain it because
> they have more staff that can review and because they have more experience
> in doing reviews and code review.
>

>      On Saturday, 19 September 2015, 8:39, Keegan Peterzell <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>  On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Keegan Peterzell <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
> >> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.
> >>

> Even more technically, this (LDAP) is for people committing to Gerrit and
> adding to Wikitech. These LDAP accounts can tie in CentralAuth through
> oAuth.
>
> But again, yes, LDAP should be some sort of "maintained" in the sense that
> Greg G. describes, and I think it will be.
>
> --
> Keegan Peterzell
> Community Liaison, Product
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Paladox
Yes but josa is currently maintained when this extension isent.

wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, bluntly put, since LDAP is how most non-WMF staff sign into
>> phabricator, I'd say it's become an essential extension.

Even more technically, this (LDAP) is for people committing to Gerrit and
adding to Wikitech. These LDAP accounts can tie in CentralAuth through
oAuth.

But again, yes, LDAP should be some sort of "maintained" in the sense that
Greg G. describes, and I think it will be.

--
Keegan Peterzell
Community Liaison, Product

Re: LDAP extension ownership

bawolff
maintain is an ambiguous word. WMF has some responsibility to all the
extensions deployed on cluster (imo). If Devunt (and any others who
were knowledgeable of the Josa extension) disappeared, WMF would
default to becoming responsible for the security and critical issues
in the extension (However, I wouldn't hold them responsible for
feature requests or minor bugs).

LDAP is used on wikitech, and some similar services. It would be nice
if teams that most directly interact with the extension (I suppose
that's labs, maybe security) help with maintenance [Maybe they already
do]. I don't necessarily think they have a responsibility to (beyond
critical issues, security, etc), but if the teams in question aren't
too busy, it is always nice to give back to projects that we use.

--
-bawolff

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Yongmin Hong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Deployed on wmf cluster does not necessarilly means wmf has to maintain it.
> A simple example: [[mw:Extension:Josa]]. It's maintained by 3rd party
> developer independant from WMF. For example, (IIRC/AFAIK,) WMF has no
> staffs with Korean knowledge.
>
> [[Extension:Josa]]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Josa
>
> --
> revi
> https://revi.me
> -- Sent from Android --
> 2015. 9. 19. 오후 5:27에 "Thomas Mulhall" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
>
>> Since this is deployed on wikitech It should be maintained by Wikimedia
>> since it is unmaintained and its better that Wikimedia maintain it because
>> they have more staff that can review and because they have more experience
>> in doing reviews and code review.
>>

>>      On Saturday, 19 September 2015, 8:39, Keegan Peterzell <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>  On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Keegan Peterzell <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> Even more technically, this (LDAP) is for people committing to Gerrit and
>> adding to Wikitech. These LDAP accounts can tie in CentralAuth through
>> oAuth.
>>
>> But again, yes, LDAP should be some sort of "maintained" in the sense that
>> Greg G. describes, and I think it will be.
>>
>> --
>> Keegan Peterzell
>> Community Liaison, Product
>> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: LDAP extension ownership

Chris Steipp
On Sep 19, 2015 11:15 AM, "bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> maintain is an ambiguous word. WMF has some responsibility to all the
> extensions deployed on cluster (imo). If Devunt (and any others who
> were knowledgeable of the Josa extension) disappeared, WMF would
> default to becoming responsible for the security and critical issues
> in the extension (However, I wouldn't hold them responsible for
> feature requests or minor bugs).
>
> LDAP is used on wikitech, and some similar services. It would be nice
> if teams that most directly interact with the extension (I suppose
> that's labs, maybe security) help with maintenance [Maybe they already
> do]. I don't necessarily think they have a responsibility to (beyond
> critical issues, security, etc), but if the teams in question aren't
> too busy, it is always nice to give back to projects that we use.

Ideally the security team would take on this extension. Unfortunately we
just don't have the capacity to address anything except significant
security issues right now.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Chris Steipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2015 11:15 AM, "bawolff" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > maintain is an ambiguous word. WMF has some responsibility to all the
> > extensions deployed on cluster (imo). If Devunt (and any others who
> > were knowledgeable of the Josa extension) disappeared, WMF would
> > default to becoming responsible for the security and critical issues
> > in the extension (However, I wouldn't hold them responsible for
> > feature requests or minor bugs).
> >
> > LDAP is used on wikitech, and some similar services. It would be nice
> > if teams that most directly interact with the extension (I suppose
> > that's labs, maybe security) help with maintenance [Maybe they already
> > do]. I don't necessarily think they have a responsibility to (beyond
> > critical issues, security, etc), but if the teams in question aren't
> > too busy, it is always nice to give back to projects that we use.
>
> Ideally the security team would take on this extension. Unfortunately we
> just don't have the capacity to address anything except significant
> security issues right now.

For the most part, this is likely all that's needed. Security updates and
compatibility with MediaWiki. I know someone is working on an auth
framework update, so I'm sure there'll be some changes necessary for that
too.

- Ryan